Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2022, 08:45 AM   #1

Loose Dashboard

Question
My whole dash bobs up and down during travel over bumpy roads, but the steering wheel is solid.
I’m wondering if there are nuts and bolts that have loosened?
johnshoot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2022, 08:52 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
I feel your pain... I've been chasing a really annoying vibration squeak in our dash for a while now with no success. Next season I'm going to have my wife go on a long drive with me under the dash passenger side. If I don't die, hopefully I'll finally nail that b@stard.
Old 11-22-2022, 09:25 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnshoot1 View Post
Question
My whole dash bobs up and down during travel over bumpy roads, but the steering wheel is solid.
I’m wondering if there are nuts and bolts that have loosened?
my dashboard did the same thing, according to several posts it is common. the screws holding the dash either back out or mostly break off. I had to remove the entire dash board to reach the screws holding dash to to side walls, not an easy job. the main screws are on the outside under the hood. it took me a couple times to find them.
wish you luck
Kevan & Rebecca(BTW) 2009 Fleetwood PaceArrow 38P 8.1 on W24 chassis w/air bags, 1990 Goldwing 1500, 2010 Jeep Liberty, RVM#197, FMCA#F413587, FMA#7985, WCMC, 2 dogs Cody and Sadie
PappaBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 12:08 PM   #4
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
I spent the better part of a day under the dash, tightening screws and bolts. Used some Locktite Blue on the nuts, put the wood screws that used air to secure them into the wood. Popped the buttons off of the trim piece to the dash and tightened the screws under them. Made a huge difference.
Old 11-22-2022, 01:22 PM   #5

I simply created supports out out PVC. One on each side and 2 in the middle over the doghouse. Easiest solution. I could not imagine continuing to climb under the dash every few thousand miles to tighten them or add blue loc-tite to all of them.
Old 11-22-2022, 01:37 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
OP,
You don't say what kind of coach you have, so solutions will be a shot in the dark.
On mine, '04 Pace Arrow 37c the dash is a full width slab of 1/2" plywood covered with Naugahyde.
I installed 1x1x 1/8" angle supports on each side and 2 vertical struts of angle screwed to the front kick board to split the dash in 3 equal sections. No more bouncing!

Mike in Colorado
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 09:05 PM   #7
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
I simply created supports out out PVC. One on each side and 2 in the middle over the doghouse. Easiest solution. I could not imagine continuing to climb under the dash every few thousand miles to tighten them or add blue loc-tite to all of them.
Good idea.

I keep the local crane company on speed dial to lift my oversize ass out.
Old 11-24-2022, 08:45 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post

Can you show us some pics when you get a chance?. Happy Thanksgiving
Old 11-24-2022, 10:40 AM   #9

Mine bobbed up and down like that for the 12 years I owned it. I decided to consider it a *feature*.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 04:47 PM   #10

I had a 2014 Fleetwood Storm that did the same thing. I had the dealer I bought it from used look and they found welds in the engine compartment had broken. Turned out its a common problem with them. They installed some self taping screws, 3 or 4 on each side and that took care if it. If you do a search on the forum you should be able to find some posts about the fix and some pics.
Old 11-29-2022, 05:15 PM   #11

On our Bounder 35P, our dash rattled horribly. Found that it really isn't bolted in, just Velcroed using that super heavy duty plastic type of Velcro. I added some really large pieces of much softer Velcro (see the circles for reference) and then added some more after this picture was taken. My dash doesn't make those annoying rattles every time we hit a pothole. My TEETH make that sound because of the F53 chassis, but Velcro doesn't taste so good, so...

Old 11-29-2022, 06:10 PM   #12

Our dash moved up and down on the driver side only and it creaked as we drove. Drove me crazy but see this thread,

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/loo...ts-596235.html

The bolts holding the front cap to the frame on our RV were all super loose. I tightened them and added 8 more to the driver side and 2 more to the passenger side which did not move just to be safe. I also changed the screws holding the 2 trim pieces from the stock 4 per piece #8's to 7 per piece #10x1" self-tapping screws. RV is in storage so I have not tested it yet but when you look at the structure under the hood, I can see how having those screws would allow the front cap to move separately from the frame which would allow the dash to move up and down stressing the fiberglass and plastic in the dash.
VentanaOdyssey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 07:15 PM   #13

Dash cap

Got the same dash cap as TimmyB but mine was actually bolted down at one time. ALL of the nuts/washers vibrated out onto the floor. No way to reach them so guessing Velcro was the alternative, awesome 😎.
ak-snopro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 07:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak-snopro View Post
Got the same dash cap as TimmyB but mine was actually bolted down at one time. ALL of the nuts/washers vibrated out onto the floor. No way to reach them so guessing Velcro was the alternative, awesome 😎.
Yeah, if you blow that picture up, you'll see six bolts that extend down from that cap but the holes they go into are mind-bogglingly huge! You can also see the industrial Velcro running down the sides that REV used. I'm thinking they probably just gave up trying to keep these things bolted down.