Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2015, 11:55 AM   #1

Loose paint and rust at compartments

While straightening up the garage I noticed a recently used left over can of POR 15 which I use often on badly rusted equipment and vehicles. Opened the can and noticed it was skinning over and would soon be unusable.

So remembering a small area of visible rust at the utility compartment I walked out to clean and paint the rusted area.

Turns out all of the compartments displayed the same rust hidden under the paint in mostly the same areas. My coach is slightly older than 2 years and I do keep it clean so most likely everyone will find these rusty areas. It's not a defect. The road is kicking up at these areas behind the compartment doors constantly. I mentioned POR 15 because I believe it's better than regular paints commonly used on rust.

Typical rust found after scraping of loose paint.

What you might first see (not the same compartment as above) There is indeed rust under this paint.

WOODYDEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2015, 03:52 PM   #2

That is probably due to driving on salted roads. I purchased my coach new and it developed the same problem after about 2 years. I attribute this to a February delivery from the factory to the dealer when new as an only likely explanation. It has never been out of Florida during the winter since the purchase.
Old 08-13-2015, 04:28 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Agree. POR15 is expensive, but good stuff. It only takes running a few hundred miles on heavily salted roads to create the problem you've shown here. The good news is that if properly prepped, then covered with POR15 and a topcoat, you can continue a life free from rust (but don't drive on salty roads!).
Old 08-13-2015, 09:45 PM   #4

Our 07 Discovery has the same rust. Took care if it earlier.
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 09:58 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yep, saw it on our rig too. I've been using the Rustoleum version of POR. Need to get out and finish the job though. New housing construction in back of the house took out a whole stand of fir trees and it's just too hot out there now.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 11:04 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What is por and where can i purchase it?
Old 08-14-2015, 01:58 PM   #7

I should have posted a link to their site: You can buy there or elsewhere but it will be close to $50 a quart. You can get a pint and it will cover a good amount of area. Once the can is open it will react with the air in the can so keep that in mind. I use, as I said, POR 15 often and still only get quart size. Pay attention to the warnings: If it gets on anything, including you, it will not come off with any solvent once dry. Believe it. Do not spray it. It's too dangerous to use that way. Brushing comes out smooth. If you use it where this problem occurs, you don't have to top coat it. It won't be affected by sunlight. I clean up with acetone. You can clean your brush but won't be completely clean so use a cheaper brush. WEAR GLOVES! Don't let it get on the compartment rubber where it contacts the door and then close the door on the wet POR. Wipe off the rubber before closing the doors.

POR-15 Rust Preventive Coating
WOODYDEL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint, rust