Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2022, 10:59 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Travco View Post
Engine compartment looking to the sides.
Perfect thanks.
VentanaOdyssey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2022, 05:48 PM   #16

Well got out to the storage shelter today and got under the hood and looked for the outside close to the firewall and I think I found the area being discussed. Now there are 5 screws in mine, and none look to be broken but they were all loose and I can see where the cap has moved. I can see the fiberglass cap to the right of the arrows in the picture but what I can't see is what does that brackets screw into, metal or wood. I do not want to tighten too tight and strip anything and plan to add at least 5 more of not more. And these screws did have a 3/8 head.

I want to make sure I am looking in the correct place and I really do not want to drill or screw all the way through the front cap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Drivers side looking to the outside wall of the engine compartment..jpg
Views:	24
Size:	262.0 KB
ID:	379300  
Old 10-24-2022, 09:09 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadBounder View Post
And these screws did have a 3/8 head.
Did or did not? The bigger self tapping screws that I installed had a 3/8" head. The factory installed ones were smaller with 5/16" heads.
2017 22K Bounder 415/6spd/5:38s
2018 F150 Lariat 502A 4X4 Toad & Tow Vehicle
2023 Rockwood GeoPro 20BHS
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 09:22 AM   #18

I must have a screw loose. All this time I thought a squeak, rattle or bang was normal. I call it a safety item. It keeps me awake during a long drive.
Old 10-25-2022, 10:44 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Travco View Post
Did or did not? The bigger self tapping screws that I installed had a 3/8" head. The factory installed ones were smaller with 5/16" heads.
The ones the factory installed are 3/8" head. I removed one and it is exactly the same as the ones I bought with the 3/8" head and 1" long. Each side has 5 installed and on the drivers side mine loose.

I am going to add 5 more to each side and use a bit of epoxy on each one to hold in place. I'll also remove the existing ones and add epoxy to hold them as well.
Old 10-25-2022, 10:45 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
I must have a screw loose. All this time I thought a squeak, rattle or bang was normal. I call it a safety item. It keeps me awake during a long drive.
It irritates me to no end.
Old 10-25-2022, 04:41 PM   #21

It's really shameful there doesn't seem to be any quality control on new units. I bought a 22 Flair a little over a year ago and continue to run into all sorts of issues related to build quality. But the reason I wanted to reply to this thread is, I ran across a YouTube video the other day that was a neat trick to restore stripped-out holes.

The technique demonstrated was stuffing cotton into the hole then dripping super glue into the cotton. The video used particle board as the example but could probably apply to other materials.
kwiebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 03:18 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadBounder View Post
The ones the factory installed are 3/8" head. I removed one and it is exactly the same as the ones I bought with the 3/8" head and 1" long. Each side has 5 installed and on the drivers side mine loose.

I am going to add 5 more to each side and use a bit of epoxy on each one to hold in place. I'll also remove the existing ones and add epoxy to hold them as well.
Hey hey! Sounds like the factory is installing larger screws now! If only they would install a few more so that us owners wouldn't have to.
Shame on the naysayers who scoffed at quality control.
2017 22K Bounder 415/6spd/5:38s
2018 F150 Lariat 502A 4X4 Toad & Tow Vehicle
2023 Rockwood GeoPro 20BHS
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 06:00 PM   #23

Update, 77Travco advice and added 7 more self-tapping to the driver side and 2 more to the passenger. In addition, I replaced 2 stripped self-tapping with new ones. I used 5,000PSI epoxy and filled the predrilled pilot holes as well as coating the new 1/4" self-tapping with the epoxy. So now I have 12 on the driver side and 7 on the passenger side. The epoxy will prevent them from working loose. I also removed the 8 #8 screws holding the trim pieces inside on the top of the dash, they were making noise as well and replaced with #10's and used silicone adhesive to fill the original holes before installing the new #10's.

I have not tested but I do need to take to the dealer for the hydraulic line recall so we shall see it works. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for all the help and information.

Tags
scr