Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2022, 03:38 PM   #1

Lost my tail lamps on my Fleetwood Southwind and need some help.

While I was working on the trailer plug on the back of my Coach, I caused a short in the system. As a result, I no longer have tail lights on the coach and I no longer have 12 volts to the pin in the plug designed to activate the tail lights on our toad. Directional signals, brake lights, and hazard lights all work fine on the coach and the toad. I checked the two tail light fuses located in the fuse box under the hood as well as all the other fuses in the box and they are working. I also checked the fuses in the fuse box located under the dash. If anyone has a suggestion as to what the problem might be, I would appreciate the help.
Thank you for any help. Rich
Rdryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2022, 05:32 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Did you happen to test those fuses with a test light or multimeter? Verify voltage is being supplied. Many times a visual inspection on a fuse looks good.

If you verify voltage out of fuse box, I would suspect the trailer receptacle itself first. If the connection inside were poor, shorting it may have arced inside to the wire.

If receptacle wiring is tight, I would look at it's splice to the wire harness coming back to it. It is the most exposed to the elements and likely to corrode.
code2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 07:29 AM   #3

Thank you for your reply code2e. Yes, I located the only two fuses, identified as “tail light lamps” and checked them width a test light, I then went on to check every fuse I could find in the RV. Every fuse but one seemed to be fine. That fuse was for something unrelated to the TL. What makes me believe my problem is related to the RV rather than the trailer plug is that I lost tail lights on the Coach as well. My next step will be to follow the trailer wires back to the connection with the Coach wiring. Thanks again for your help. Rich
Rdryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 01:27 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdryder View Post
Thank you for your reply code2e. Yes, I located the only two fuses, identified as “tail light lamps” and checked them width a test light, I then went on to check every fuse I could find in the RV. Every fuse but one seemed to be fine. That fuse was for something unrelated to the TL. What makes me believe my problem is related to the RV rather than the trailer plug is that I lost tail lights on the Coach as well. My next step will be to follow the trailer wires back to the connection with the Coach wiring. Thanks again for your help. Rich
I am sorry for not being clear. By trailer receptacle, I was refering to the part on the coach and the wiring into it from the coach. It is very common to issues there. Loose connections to the blade screws, an errant wire strand touching another circuit, etc.

I would start with it and then the next connection point to the factory wiring, still in the rear, before looking further forward.
code2e is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amps, fleetwood, southwind, wind