Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2021, 06:48 PM   #1

Loud shrill noise: 99 Fleetwood Bounder

First post… We bought a 1999 Fleetwood Bounder today. Have never driven a motor home before today.

Driving out of Los Angeles and three times it sounds like an alarm has gone off. Sounds like I’m front of the passenger seat. Any ideas? Should we worry?

ETA: seems like it happens when we hit a bump in the road.
thelibexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2021, 10:17 PM   #2

Welcome to iRV2.

By the location of the noise and your saying it starts up with bumps ; I have to ask if the blower motor for the dash air conditioning was on high speed ?

What chassis is your coach built on ?
Old 06-05-2021, 11:34 PM   #3

Hi Skip! The a/c was on low to begin with and then we turned it off, but still got the noise. It never lasted more than 2-3 seconds. I’m not sure what our chassis is…that’s on my list to figure out.
Old 06-05-2021, 11:37 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Are you seeing any lights on the dash when the alarm goes off?

I'm thinking possibly a Jacks down warning.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 05:46 AM   #5

Yes, you are likely just low enough on jack oil that when you hit the bump, the jacks down warning sounds. The reservoir has a float level switch the determines leveling jacks down or up based on the amount of fluid in the reservoir. The solution is to add a little fluid. If yours is like mine you will find the reservoir by opening the front engine access panel. Standing outside looking at the front of your rig, you’ll see it on the left.

Don’t overfill, or you’ll have oil streaming down the side of your RV. The correct level is checked with your jacks all the way up. Fill until it shows correct on the little dipstick built into the oil checking plug.
Old 06-06-2021, 10:32 AM   #6

Oh, the low jack fluid sounds like it’ll be the winner! I assume we’ll find that at a large fuel station along the freeway?

Thank you all for the help! I’ll probably have quite a few questions this week. We’ve got about 2000 miles ahead of us to learn the basics.
Old 06-06-2021, 10:45 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
I was a service manager for 15 years at a Fleetwood dealership. It sounds like the tv antenna warning switch. At this time Fleetwood used a sensor on the tv antenna that warned that the tv antenna was up when you cranked the engine. The switch was filled with mercury. When you hit a bump the mercury would splash against both contacts and activate the alarm. If you look carefully on the tv box that holds the television you will see the alarm. Most people disarmed the switch to stop this from happening. On my 1998 pace arrow, the wire had been cut when I bought it.
If the sound is coming from in front of the passenger seat this is fore sure the problem. If it was the jacks, it would be coming from the jack control panel.
Old 06-06-2021, 10:55 AM   #8

Ga traveler has a good point also. . . . If it is the jacks you really should see a jacks down warning light along with the alert sound. And if that is it, you can transmission fluid from any auto parts house, Walmart, or fuel station.

I suppose my antenna alert was long ago cut as I wasn’t aware or that. So if it is that, find it and cut the wire!
Old 06-06-2021, 12:06 PM   #9

I’m going to pick up some jack fluid so we have some on hand. I’ve checked the manual, but can’t find out what kind I need. Can anyone point me to the right kind?

I’ve glanced at the TV box, but can’t really get behind it. That will have to wait until we get home.

Again, thank you all for the help! Someday, I’ll have some knowledge to share too!
Old 06-06-2021, 12:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelibexp View Post
I’m going to pick up some jack fluid so we have some on hand. I’ve checked the manual, but can’t find out what kind I need. Can anyone point me to the right kind?

Sure, but you will need to tell us exactly what jack system you have.
Old 06-06-2021, 01:55 PM   #11

The hydraulic jacks use transmission fluid.
Old 06-06-2021, 03:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Sure, but you will need to tell us exactly what jack system you have.
The controls say level best kwikee…is that the needed info?
Old 06-15-2021, 07:50 PM   #13
Cat

Years ago some of the front grills the air going through would cause them to vibrate. And would create and a loud buzzing noise on some it would whistle across the open ends. It was on gas powered MHs. May not have anything to do with your problem but I thought what the heck. Safe Travels
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 09:17 PM   #14
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
Years ago some of the front grills the air going through would cause them to vibrate. And would create and a loud buzzing noise on some it would whistle across the open ends. It was on gas powered MHs. May not have anything to do with your problem but I thought what the heck. Safe Travels
I did a search on IRV2 for Bounder front grill and there are several articles referring to the front grill and how to fix.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bounder, fleetwood, noise