Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2014, 04:55 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayobx View Post
My a lot of testy folks close to the holidays. Mike I too have read the same belittllement from so many posts over the years on this forum that bash new buyers for loosing so much on depreciation, having purchased junk cause they let someone else take the huge loss and do all the necessary warranty repairs for them. Geez I'm sure their coaches are perfect and never need repairs. Good for them. I bought a used tent,used pop up, used truck to pull the pop up, and a used 2003 FW Excursion. So I decided that upon retirement I had the funds to purchase a NEW coach. I wanted to smell new, drive new, sleep in a new bed, poop in a new toilet you get my point. If others conceive that I'm stupid for my wants so what! I've yet to see any admonishment directed towards a used coach buyer from a new coach buyer insinuating they were DUMB, STUPID, new it all, yada yada, yada. It's my money, I worked and invested correctly, I'm debt free, if I want new again I'll buy new or if I find a great deal on a late model King Aire I'll buy used. It's my perogative and frankly I don't care what anyone says or thinks.
Exactly. We bought new, and have no regrets. Don't ever plan to buy used; too many poorly-maintained used RVs out there. I get really tired of all the "buying new is stupid" remarks, but it just reflects on those making the statements. After all, if WE didn't buy new, there wouldn't be any USED for them to brag about.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2014, 07:18 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayobx View Post
My a lot of testy folks close to the holidays. Mike I too have read the same belittllement from so many posts over the years on this forum that bash new buyers for loosing so much on depreciation, having purchased junk cause they let someone else take the huge loss and do all the necessary warranty repairs for them. Geez I'm sure their coaches are perfect and never need repairs. Good for them. I bought a used tent,used pop up, used truck to pull the pop up, and a used 2003 FW Excursion. So I decided that upon retirement I had the funds to purchase a NEW coach. I wanted to smell new, drive new, sleep in a new bed, poop in a new toilet you get my point. If others conceive that I'm stupid for my wants so what! I've yet to see any admonishment directed towards a used coach buyer from a new coach buyer insinuating they were DUMB, STUPID, new it all, yada yada, yada. It's my money, I worked and invested correctly, I'm debt free, if I want new again I'll buy new or if I find a great deal on a late model King Aire I'll buy used. It's my perogative and frankly I don't care what anyone says or thinks.

Thanks Clay, it's kinda like the bully syndrome...They can dish it out but can't take it. After reading so many opinions of that nature I just wanted to respond and I thought I did it in a positive constructive manner so someone looking to decide which way to go would see that there are happy new buyers too and we really don't deserve the belittlement that used owners dish out. Then they say no nerve hit, but if that were the case they just wouldn't respond...Oh well.

We did it alot like you did, over the years we bought several used RV's for two reasons, we saved some money and we were still working and raising a family at the time. On my last MH when I saved $15,000 on a $65,000 rig at the time it was worth it to buy used and I knew the guy I bought it from. On this MH the price difference between a used 2013 and the new 2014 was only $6,000, at that price point it's a no brainer to go new. Like you I worked hard all my life, spent and invested wisely, have a great pension, only debt is some investment property we have so taxes don't kill us. My wife and I decided we would buy new as a retirement present to ourselves, and we are the only ones to sleep, use the facilities ect, in our new MH. It has all the new technology we wanted. Like you said I don't really care what others think, even if they think I'm stupid to buy new, I must have done something right to be able to buy new, and get to a place where finances are the least of my concerns.... and we are not getting any younger...Merry Christmas and Happy New Year....Mike
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 06:33 AM   #45

I didn't see any where on here where anyone was called stupid or buying new.......
Old 12-21-2014, 11:01 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
I didn't see any where on here where anyone was called stupid or buying new.......
Read between the lines when you read the comments, read other threads on this topic and you will see it. "Dumb" is same as stupid, waiting to see who's babying their next MH purchase, buy new and it sits at the dealer, you lost thousands in depreciation. The comments go on and on by used buyers. But when new buyers speak up and speak their mind, WITHOUT BELITTLING USED BUYERS, you guys get all offended. If you already have a MH then my advice/opinion really isn't meant for you anyway.

It really doesn't matter because all we were stating is an opinion, and used buyers are not the only opinion to consider when buying. We are all at different places in our life and give our honest opinions based on our experiences.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:11 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
I'm dumb, I would never spend that kind of jack on something that's going to depreciate a 100k when you drive it out the door and then have problems, lets go back to college....spend 400k have headaches or spend 100k and have the Headaches taken care of by the one that lost the 300k, NEW is not what it's all hyped to be especially if your only using it 6-8 thousand miles a year!! Love our 10 year old Coach, we have put 4800 miles on it sense May and nothing has fallen in my lap!!
I guess you didn't post this. This came up way before I chimed in. but it's ok for you to state your opinion. And the info is incorrect, and inflated. You should read your own posts before you say new buyers aren't belittled.
Old 12-21-2014, 02:57 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
I guess you didn't post this. This came up way before I chimed in. but it's ok for you to state your opinion. And the info is incorrect, and inflated. You should read your own posts before you say new buyers aren't belittled.
Maybe you might go back to my first post and read the quote in the box above it..... typical, dumb was mentioned as myself as stated by the other party, I never called anyone dumb or stupid, must have hit a nerve!
Old 12-21-2014, 03:35 PM   #49

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Newmar owners working hard to kill a Fleetwood Bounder thread. Not new but once again, here's my Roo... bought lightly used - but if they still had this model - I'd consider new under right terms...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1419201295761.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	81592  
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 05:11 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Newmar owners working hard to kill a Fleetwood Bounder thread. ...

Now that is really an ignorant comment. I'm sure many times you have clicked on the little sidebar threads, responded to them and then realized that you were on a different brand/topic thread than you thought you were. That's how I got started on this thread. Most of us without huge egos are just trying to help others who ask questions, I really don't care what brand you have new or used, they are all quality in the mind of the purchaser and that is what matters most...so no you didn't hit a nerve, it just seems you just can't handle a differing opinion. I'll wait for those who want more info to PM me as that is what usually happens. Take care and have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Old 12-21-2014, 05:20 PM   #51

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
Now that is really an ignorant comment. I'm sure many times you have clicked on the little sidebar threads, responded to them and then realized that you were on a different brand/topic thread than you thought you were. That's how I got started on this thread. Most of us without huge egos are just trying to help others who ask questions, I really don't care what brand you have new or used, they are all quality in the mind of the purchaser and that is what matters most...so no you didn't hit a nerve, it just seems you just can't handle a differing opinion. I'll wait for those who want more info to PM me as that is what usually happens. Take care and have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Pot calls kettle small. Film at 11.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 07:05 PM   #52
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
It's getting a little heated here. From our Community Rules:

Quote:
Do not engage in personal attacks. Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully. Sarcasm, belligerence, insults, profanity, extreme anger, offensive comments about race, gender, sexual orientation,and national origin are not acceptable.
Back to discussing the topic, minus the snide comments aimed at each other.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 07:43 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
It's getting a little heated here. From our Community Rules:

Back to discussing the topic, minus the snide comments aimed at each other.

Lori-

I saw this in my post #27. Figured it would lighten up the tone. Didn't work and was not appreciated.
WOODYDEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 07:22 PM   #54

Ford Super Duty Owner
Well I bought used and I'm just fine with that. we've bought three MH's used. Why ???? Because we flat out cannot afford a new one. If we could, we would but we can't. The one we have now has an oven issue. It was my fault for not asking all the right questions or for actually firing up the oven itself. Real easy to blame the seller for not telling me or maybe it was fine when he sold it. Don't really know and don't really care. It's our RV and I will somehow deal with it.

I also am a firm believer that our desires for amenities and options exceeds the builders ability to incorporate them into units. I look at some of the extras that are available in units today and it just floors me. Ours is an older unit and was probably ahead of itself when new. Over the course of time any issues that were there were (mostly) taken care of.

Congratulations to all of you who buy new. As I said, if we could we would. In the meantime we are enjoying what we have and I always have a bag of tools, a few spare parts, plastic ties and duct tape to keep us moving forward. My bride isn't happy about no oven but she still keeps coming with me.

Merry Christmas from one Roo lover to all the rest of you.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 08:32 PM   #55

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I have ancient compared to you folks, mine is a 1992 American Eagle. Having said that I would like new and yes we could buy it and pay for it, we have no debt. I had a 2006 and didn't like it, it was a gas coach. But the issue with us is hubby is not retired, oh yes, he is old enough, we will both be 69 this year. I don't think he would like motorhoming as much as I do. He travels all the time in his work and wants to be home when he is off. He may take a few trips after he retires but he says what am I going to do just sit in one of those parks?

He has never learned to relax nor develop a hobby and he likes working, so we have some different forces in our mix. We have
discussed me buying one newer then we have but he says we would likely have to fix all the same things we have now. Also I won't drive the motorhome at night, just during daylight hours so its hard for me to justify the money for something I will use only how many more years and use it alone. So enjoy your
new motorhomes, I think they are beautiful even with the issues and you will get them ironed out in time. I've spent quite a lot on this one and thankfully my husband enjoys working on it otherwise I doubt we could afford new or old.

Be thankful you have what you do, new or old and enjoy the moments you share together I would rather have old if need be with my husband alongside then the workaholic that can't let go and just have fun in the moment of the rest of our lives. We have been married 47 years soon with him gone many years of that and home only sporadically. Enjoy whatever you have, life is to short.

1992 American Eagle
2013 Cadillac SRX towed 4 down
PatStab is offline   Reply With Quote