Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2009, 11:57 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Low Air Warning

Hello, just bought a 2001 bounder and drove from TX to VA and after stopping for dinner and hitting the road again the low air buzzer went off for about 5 miles. The next day I let the rv run for awhile before driving and the buzzer went off again for a couple of miles. I noticed that the rear of the rv is low in the mornings by looking at the rear flaps. Is this something to be alarmed about? It went off and remainded off the remainder of the day. I'm new at this and want to check out the little problems. I'm thinking it may have been this was a repo and could have been sitting awhile, but it drove the 1400 miles with no major concerns. Any advice is welcomed. Love this site!!
Twinsberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2009, 02:15 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
WELCOME to the Forum: Does your bounder have the air release lever on the dash? I have an '01 Discovery that the lever dumps the air bags when you park. It has to be manually flipped for that to happen tho. The dealer told me he had a very rough ride one time and looked down and found the lever in the dump position. He stopped, flipped the lever, air bags pumped up and had a good ride home. Just a thought.
Safe Journeys...
skipwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 06:36 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
I will check, but i don't recall this switch. The guages were reading between 100-130 and the ride height went up well while driving. when i would stop the rear gaurd had about 3 inches clearance from the ground. This makes sense that something is releasing the rear pressure when parked. Thanks for the help.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:19 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
I just looked at mine ." SUSPENSION AIR "
<----lever----> I haven't learned to post pictures yet.
Lower Auto
Mine is located left of the steering column - on the vinyl part of the dash.
I hope you find your problem.
skipwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:51 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
I may have to look in some other area. This is a picture of my console.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:12 PM   #6
KIX

Twinsberry, After reading your original post it sounds like you may have an air leak in the suspension air circuit. You said that the rear appears low in the AM. I am assuming that after start up the rear end raises to ride height?? To check for an air leak start the engine and build air pressure until the dryer purges.......then shut it down and walk around the rear of the coach and listen for air escaping or crawl under if you're skinny enough. If you can't hear or otherwise find a leak just let it sit for a couple of hours then turn the key on and read the air pressure gauge without starting. The gauge will tell you if you have a leak. You may have to let it sit for more than 2 hours but less than overnight.
If you have an air leak the result is the compressor runs more and you will use more fuel.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:30 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks will give it a looks this weekend.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:30 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Kix, does this same circuit work the speedodmeter? After about a 1000 miles the speedodmeter started bouncing. It would go from 65 to 85 and back. But after a short stop at the lake and a bumpy ride the speedodmeter started working fine. I found out this affects the cruise control. Could the leak be under the dash?
Old 12-02-2009, 06:16 PM   #9
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinsberry View Post
Kix, does this same circuit work the speedodmeter?

I was referring to an AIR circuit; not a wiring circuit

I found out this affects the cruise control.

The bouncing speedo causes the cruise to not work correctly.

Could the leak be under the dash?

Typically modern diesel coaches dashes are all electric impulses. The VDC (Vehicle Data Computer) gets the signals first and then sends them on to the dash instruments and gauges. At least that's the way my coach works and I assume your works the same.
It sounds like you have two separate problems. One is a leak down of the rear suspension which may be an air leak. The problem withthe bouncing speedo could be caused either by the speedo itself or the VDC. If you do a search on this forum for VDC repair you may find some interesting and helpful info.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 06:53 PM   #10

Another potential cause of the speedo bounce is the Vehicle Speed Sensor or VSS used on some rigs. If that is faulty it reports the wrong info to the VDC which forwards same to the dash. Not sure of the location of the VSS or VDC on your rig but a new thread, maybe "Bouncing Speedo Readings" or the like, will find owners who had and fixed this same problem.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:37 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Fixed, there was a black box that monitors the are and send the signal. It was bad, you could hit it and get different air readings. Once replaced all is good. Now have to fix speedo problem which sounds like vss.