Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2021, 01:53 PM   #1

Low Beam Headlights Don’t Work on 1996 Model 28T Bounder.

How do you repair the 2 low beam headlights. Outer high beam headlights come on.
I have a 1996 Bounder on a Chevy P30 chassis with 2 glass headlights on each side.
The 2 inner low beam lights don’t come on after having replaced the correct 7-pin headlight switch.
The headlight bulbs test OK.
Is there a fuse or relay in the circuit that went bad?
First, I included a picture of the fuse panel under the dash and then, a schematic plus photos of the fuse panel
under the hood.
It is strange why they included fuses for the non-existing power seats and power windows, and a relay for the missing fog lights.
I have noticed the schematic shows a push button on top of the circuit breaker to reset power, I believe, from the generator.
Below are 5 photos. No. 1 is fuse panel under dash.
Photos 2 to 5 show fuse and relay panel under the hood.
Photo 2 is a schematic. Photo 3 is a view of entire fuse box.
Photo 4 is top half of fuse box and Photo 5 is bottom half of fuse box.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 Under the dash.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	446.8 KB
ID:	336663   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 Schematic for pics 3,4,and 5 under the hood.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	298.9 KB
ID:	336664  

Name:	3 Under the hood.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	329.8 KB
ID:	336665   Click image for larger version

Name:	4 top half of picture 3 under the hood.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	429.9 KB
ID:	336666  

Name:	5 Bottom Half of Picture 3 under the hood.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	436.6 KB
ID:	336667  
rustylog. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2021, 06:22 PM   #2

Are you sure the inner headlamps are low beam? Normally the 2 outer headlamps are the low beam lamps and the inner are high beams.
Old 07-20-2021, 07:50 PM   #3

I felt the test below meant the inner headlights were low-beam.

The outer headlights go either on or off each time when I click the directional handle up and let it spring downwards on its own accord after being released.
Doesn't that mean the outer headlights are high beam?
Old 07-20-2021, 09:35 PM   #4

The wires in photos above are covering some fuses and 3 black boxes.

This info is now provided to make certain a possible source of info is not hidden:
Row 1: 5 amp LP Detect & IGN SIG & & empty Spare Ing.
Row 2: Black Box Labeled Potter & Brumfield 12vDC 70A
Mexico and a 15 amp Fog Light fuse.
Row 3: Black Box labeled Aromat DC12v
Row 4: 5 amp fuses for Aux Start, Solar Panel & BD Relay and
1 black box labeled Aromat DC12v
Old 07-21-2021, 07:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustylog. View Post
The outer headlights go either on or off each time when I click the directional handle up and let it spring downwards on its own accord after being released.
All 4 lamps should light on high beam while only the two outside lamps will light on low beam.
Check the connectors on the back side of the bulbs. I believe you will find there are three connections on the outside bulbs and only two connections on the inner lamp bulbs.
If you have a test lamp, remove the connector from one of the inner lamps and probe the two terminals in the connector. You should have power when the switch is on high beam. Does the high beam indicator light on the dash light up when the high beams are supposed to be on?
The first check should be to be sure you either have 12 volts at the inner lamps or you don't. There is a possibility both inner bulbs are bad or there could be loose or corroded terminals if you have 12 volts but the lamps don't light.
If the outer lamps go out when the dimmer switch is tripped you probably have a bad dimmer switch.
I don't believe you will find fuses for the headlamp bulbs. Circuit protection is provided by a circuit breaker built into the headlamp switch.
Old 07-21-2021, 07:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustylog. View Post
The switch will return to the lower position each time you pull on it. One click will be high then the next click will be low.
It sounds like you have a bad dimmer switch.
Old 07-22-2021, 03:30 PM   #7

LETMGROW: your info really helped a lot. Thanks much. You are correct, the inner lights have 2 connections & the outer lights have 3 connections.
Your questions and answers:
1. Do all 4 lights come on in high beam mode? Maybe NO. Only the outer 2 lights come on. See question 1 below.
2. Does the high beam indicator light on the dash light up when the high beams are supposed to be on? NO!
3. The first check should be to be sure you either have 12 volts at the inner lamps or you don't. I get zero voltage.

My questions:
1. I hope I can make this clear. There is no bright light indicator shinning on the dash to tell me I am in high beam mode. Thus, when the outer two lights come on I am not 100% certain if I am in the high beam mode. I don’t see any recessed location in and around the speedometer where a light might go on to tell the bright lights are on.

2. Are there 2 sets of filaments in the outer bulbs? One for low beam and a second for more high beam lighting? Not knowing how the lights work, I can’t figure out why the low beam lights would go off when I am in a questionable high beam mode.

LETMGROW, based on the results above I have been looking for a new dimmer switch. I have spent hours looking and no results. Most stores selling parts think I want the 7 or 8-pin headlight switch that attaches
to the consul on the lower left side. I covered that problem under an earlier topic. I keep telling parts people the part attaches to the steering column.

Finally it dawned on me. It turns out the dimmer switch portion is part of a multi-functional switch assembly that includes cruise control, directional signal controls, windshield wiper control, etc. The high beam light switch is not sold separately.

I was hoping to get the assembly off the steering wheel and match it up to one in the store. But I don’t see how to get the part off. I perused U-Tube without much success. I clicked on a few “HOW-TO-DO-ITS” and the screen went white. The one video I saw was how to replace the part in question on a Camry. It did not involve removing the steering wheel.

Looking at my steering wheel I was able to remove a plastic cover, about 2-incles square, from the lower left side. I looked and looked around the remaining area in question to find a way to remove the multi-functional
switch, but the area is completely seamless. A big UH-HO resounded in my head. Do I have to remove the steering wheel?

So, I ordered the part and thought maybe by looking at it I will get a clue on how it goes in.
About sixty-five years ago I had to remove a steering wheel off a 1955 chevy with a pully to replace the defective directional switch. That was not enjoyable.

As a result of the above stuff I am waiting for the part to arrive and trying to find a way to get it in.
Old 07-24-2021, 01:50 PM   #8

Except for few answers and a few unanswered questions above, this topic is done.

LETMGROW gave me the info that indicated I did not have a fuse or relay problem. I also previously replaced my 7-pin switch discussed elsewhere. So this topic is done. Solution: I need a new "Multi-function Switch".

But I end with some answers to a few comments I made. I hope it helps you.
1. The part I ordered is wrong, wrong, wrong. Terribly wrong. I'll start a new thread for this one.
2. I spent a few hours looking for help on youtube.com and google trying to find how to replace my multi-function switch. The closest I got was a "how to" on a 1500 Chevrolet without an air bag. Didn't find a single help video on a matching RV.
3. I commented that when I clicked on U-Tube I got a white screen. The problem seems to be I Googled for help and picked youtube. I clicked on the inner triangle of 1 subject and got a page full plus of different subjects. I clicked on the triangle on the subject of interest and bam - I got a white screen with a bit of writing not of interest. My wife found a few cures:
A. I SHOULD HAVE "right" clicked my cursor and picked "Open link in new tab" on a subject of interest. Next: Click on tab at top of screen. Yah - no white screen.
B. Or - don't google for help and go direct to youtube.com and type in what help you need under "search" at the top of screen. Click on your subject and . . . Result - no white screen.
C. One solution from google said to update my Adobe. Didn't help.

Tags
light, lights, headlights, bounder, headlight