Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2016, 08:48 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Low Dash Heat

I posted in the Class A forum about only warm heat coming from the dash. Both valves back near the engine are open, air control set to recirculate. Someone asked if I had a 'bus pump' inline to pump coolant thru the heater-I don't know, do you?

Along the same lines, would bypassing the engine and hooking up a LP tankless water heater with a pump provide more heat than what I am getting now? The Onan is LP powered so i have a 2nd LP tank aboard.
I'm thinking about putting the water heater near the front and eliminate the '40 miles' of hose going to/from the engine and the associated heat loss.
Not thrilled with the idea but even less thrilled with running the furnace on the road for 3 days or so to get to our Florida park. Happy wife, happy life.

What say you?
Greg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2016, 09:06 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Have/had the same problem. Bought a extendable curtain rod (8+ft.) and fairly heavy drapes.Used the same hangers that are used for closet rod. When cold or hot out put up bar with drape, close drape (Velcro) and heater warm enough for cold and air cold enough for hot. We did get it very close to ceiling and hangs to floor. Only been cold enough once, crossing Nevada in Janruary ran generator and space heater in front area. With curtain right behind seats the heating area is reasonably small.
RobbyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 09:22 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyII View Post
Have/had the same problem. Bought a extendable curtain rod (8+ft.) and fairly heavy drapes.Used the same hangers that are used for closet rod. When cold or hot out put up bar with drape, close drape (Velcro) and heater warm enough for cold and air cold enough for hot. We did get it very close to ceiling and hangs to floor. Only been cold enough once, crossing Nevada in Janruary ran generator and space heater in front area. With curtain right behind seats the heating area is reasonably small.
I have used the curtain idea on our old gasser class A, but this air is barely warm at the outlet, not near enough to heat even your hand on the steering wheel, let alone a small cabin from a curtain forward.
Good idea though.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:33 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg2 View Post
I have used the curtain idea on our old gasser class A, but this air is barely warm at the outlet, not near enough to heat even your hand on the steering wheel, let alone a small cabin from a curtain forward.
Good idea though.
Are the hoses going into the heater core hot?

Maybe a plugged heater core?
Old 12-01-2016, 09:43 PM   #5

Either a plugged heater core [internal water or external air flow].....or the "h-valve" heater control valve that feeds hot water to the core is not opening....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 10:47 AM   #6

You heater problem is not a design issue, it's a component failure.
Many DP have good dash heat and A/C.
In fact, you have one of the best. It's manufactured by Denso and has a blend air door, no water flow control valve and no vacuum controls. All the doors are electrical servo controlled.
Is the blend air door functioning properly?
Is the heater core restricted?
Is you engine running at the proper temperature?
I have the same HVAC system in my gas bounder and the heater core is original and works well.
Why not get it fixed properly?

Richard
House Husband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 11:57 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am actually bringing my coach home tonight. I will measures the temp of the heater hose going into the firewall.
I had made the assumptions that the coolant was cooling done by the time it got from the rear engine up to the firewall.

Mine is not has hot as I would like, but it begins to work a lot better when I start climbing a hill and the engine temp goes up about 15 or 20 deg.

I will post hose and air temp for comparisons.

Dan
Old 12-02-2016, 07:14 PM   #8

Low dash heat when engine not working very hard

While driving down the road, I have fairly good heat coming from the dash ducts.

But when I come to a stop light or pull into a truck stop, very soon the air temperature from the dash ducts drops significantly. I have the same thought, 40 foot of heater hose cools down, but that's only a guess. I do not see the engine temperature gauge drop, but I guess my water pump would be producing less gpm and thermostat could partially close to keep the engine warm and care less about the driver.

I would like an answer or solution to this problem also. Thanks
erniet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 06:59 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLS7201 View Post
You heater problem is not a design issue, it's a component failure.
Many DP have good dash heat and A/C.
In fact, you have one of the best. It's manufactured by Denso and has a blend air door, no water flow control valve and no vacuum controls. All the doors are electrical servo controlled.
Is the blend air door functioning properly?
Is the heater core restricted?
Is you engine running at the proper temperature?
I have the same HVAC system in my gas bounder and the heater core is original and works well.
Why not get it fixed properly? Richard
It turns out I may not have a problem after all. Last year we departed ahead of the cold weather, the year before is what I recalled.
This year it looks like it will be Jan. before we can head south. I just went out and started her up and at a fast idle got 173f on my cheapie hand held infrared thermometer both going and coming out of the heater under the 'hood.' Knowing that it will be hotter when being driven, I think it will be just fine.
Being new to me then, I may have not had the shutoff valve turned on, or may have had the recirculate button set for outside air. I don't know.

At any rate, I know what to do if it fails to perform. Thanks for the ideas and help.
Old 12-03-2016, 08:19 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I measured roughly the same numbers.
Engine temp was 181 when I got home and at idle.
IR gun showed 162 deg temp on the heater hose at the firewall.
I can see more heat loss if traveling at 60 mph even if most of the hose is in the basement.
My last 7 ft of hose has foam insulation.

The air temp coming out of the dash was 138 deg. using re-circulation setting.
The ambient temperature was 68 deg.

On a side note, I changed the engine oil...boy, 15w40 oil sure pours slowly at that temp

Dan
Old 12-03-2016, 09:34 PM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
Dan, the next time you change your oil if it is cool or cold put your oil where it can get warm and then pour it in.

Jerry

Tags
dash, heat