Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2021, 06:48 PM   #1

Low voltage brand new batteries

Hi, 4 days ago I got two 6v deep cycle Interstate batteries from Napa.

Did checked the voltage when I installed them but few days later seems that no matter if with alternator, shore power or a snaps battery charger that I’ve, batteries won’t go up from 5.6v which looks really low compared with the graphic on Interstate website that claims that a 100% charged 6v battery should read 6.42v.

Went back to Napa they plugged a device that only says Good or Bad, they said the were good and after I told them about the low voltage they said the were not sure (??).

Are my two batteries defective? What can I do?
Juano is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2021, 06:58 PM   #2

Need info on your RV ?? Class A ? C ? Year ? Make , model ?

Are your chassis batteries staying charged ?
Do you get the same voltage at the chassis batteries and the coach batteries when engine is running ?

What was the problem with the original batteries ?

Did you take pictures of the connections before removing old and installing new batteries. Nothing left off ?
Old 10-13-2021, 07:08 PM   #3

You replaced two batteries. Were there some that you elected not to replace, or was two your total count?
bneiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 07:11 PM   #4

What's the output of your " snaps battery charger " when on and working ?
Old 10-13-2021, 07:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Need info on your RV ?? Class A ? C ? Year ? Make , model ?

Are your chassis batteries staying charged ?
Do you get the same voltage at the chassis batteries and the coach batteries when engine is running ?

What was the problem with the original batteries ?

Did you take pictures of the connections before removing old and installing new batteries. Nothing left off ?
Thanks again Skip!

It’s a 96’ Class A Bounder with F53 chassis.
Chassis battery drained everyday as seems to be powering up the coach. If I remove the negative terminal for chassis battery I don’t have any 12v on the coach.

When engine running I get 13.70 on chassis battery and 11.20v on coach batteries, no matter how long I left the engine running or the distance I drive. Seems that alternator only recognize chassis battery and it’s always pushing power to that battery.

Replaced batteries where some Interestate 6v from 2005 so completely dead. I installed in the same bays with the same connectors as the old batteries, I just cleaned terminals with a wire brush heavily.
Old 10-13-2021, 07:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juano View Post
Thanks again Skip!

It’s a 96’ Class A Bounder with F53 chassis.
Chassis battery drained everyday as seems to be powering up the coach. If I remove the negative terminal for chassis battery I don’t have any 12v on the coach.

When engine running I get 13.70 on chassis battery and 11.20v on coach batteries, no matter how long I left the engine running or the distance I drive. Seems that alternator only recognize chassis battery and it’s always pushing power to that battery.

Replaced batteries where some Interestate 6v from 2005 so completely dead. I installed in the same bays with the same connectors as the old batteries, I just cleaned terminals with a wire brush heavily.
You have a MAJOR disconnect and issues with your RV systems . The interior shouldn't draw any power from the chassis battery . The 11.2 volt reading agrees with the individual 5.6 + 5.6 = 11.2 volts you have from each battery .

Do you have any info on ( or see on your RV )a box of interconnect wiring like this; picture of a ; BCC ( Battery Control Center ).
Attached Images

Old 10-13-2021, 07:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneiva View Post
You replaced two batteries. Were there some that you elected not to replace, or was two your total count?
I replaced both 6v batteries plus a new 12v starter battery.

Quote:
What's the output of your " snaps battery charger " when on and working ?
With "snaps battery charger" you mean the charger from the converter?
Yesterday I measured it and both AC input and output were working properly, the output with the negative wire disconnected from the Inteli Power gave me 13.0v.

Quote:
You have a MAJOR disconnect and issues with your RV systems . The interior shouldn't draw any power from the chassis battery . The 11.2 volt reading agrees with the individual 5.6 + 5.6 = 11.2 volts you have from each battery .

Do you have any info on ( or see on your RV )a box of interconnect wiring like this; picture of a ; BCC ( Battery Control Center ).
Yes I've a photo and the diagram here you go:

I'm noticing that when I press the coach battery disconnect button I don't hear any click from the solenoids/disconnectors but when I press the coach disconnect switch I hear it clear and loud.

Thanks everyone to help me troubleshoot this 2 day long issue with my rig.
Old 10-13-2021, 08:46 PM   #8

Ok I have this on the Fleetwood BCC , hope it's some help .

Could you please take a minute and set up a " signature line " like mine below this post so other members don't have to ask what RV you have , saves questions and time, and aides in getting proper answers from members with the same coach .
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Fleetwood Battery+Control+Center (1).pdf (872.1 KB, 25 views)
Old 10-14-2021, 12:31 AM   #9

Try holding your Aux start switch for 30 seconds and then start RV. Then shut off RV and see if that solves your issue. I had to do that on a class C RV when the battery was replaced. After that it worked fine.
SavnTheWales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 07:28 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
The relay on the right, the one with the black and yellow wire going to it, is bad. That relay is supposed to close and charge both batteries when the engine is running.
To test the relay, read the voltage on both sides of the solenoid, start the engine, the voltage should start to rise on both sides.
I am betting it will stay low on one side.
Old 10-14-2021, 01:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Ok I have this on the Fleetwood BCC , hope it's some help .

Could you please take a minute and set up a " signature line " like mine below this post so other members don't have to ask what RV you have , saves questions and time, and aides in getting proper answers from members with the same coach .
Signature done.
Thanks for the pdf! I already followed every step and chassis battery disconnect seems to have an issue on the board as I don’t get voltage on P2 #8.

But also the first sentence says that my batteries should be charged to perform the testing a and reading 11.2v I don’t think that is the way to check the BCC.

I’ll need to call Interstate and see what’s going on with these batteries.
Old 10-14-2021, 01:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavnTheWales View Post
Try holding your Aux start switch for 30 seconds and then start RV. Then shut off RV and see if that solves your issue. I had to do that on a class C RV when the battery was replaced. After that it worked fine.
Tried that and nothing, thanks anyway!
Old 10-14-2021, 01:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
The relay on the right, the one with the black and yellow wire going to it, is bad. That relay is supposed to close and charge both batteries when the engine is running.
To test the relay, read the voltage on both sides of the solenoid, start the engine, the voltage should start to rise on both sides.
I am betting it will stay low on one side.
Tested solenoids and both are up to 13.5v when I turn on the engine.
Old 10-14-2021, 01:14 PM   #14

I'm not seeing a signature line ; are you using an APP to post to iRV2 ?

Signature lines won't come up if using the APP.

Tags
batteries, low voltage