Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2014, 05:38 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LP Detector Replacement help...

We have a 1997 Southwind and the Pre Tell 2 LP detector went bad. We ordered a replacement part through Fleetwood and received a Safe T Alert that has 2 wires coming out of it, along with a wire harness since the 3-wire Pre Tell is no longer available. Does anyone know HOW to install this. I pulled out the Pre Tell and there are 3 wires - 2 Red and 1 White but they are going to several other wires - not just 3, and there is no obvious place to plug in this harness they sent either so it is unclear where to/how to hook this new one up. I searched on the forum but only see mention of this but no 'directions' on how to do it, and also see folks that found 3 wire ones that do continue to shut-off the gas solenoid. I'd like to use what I bought but don't know how to put it in, as well, it would be nice to get it installed so we can once again have hot water. As always your help and this forum are appreciated!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2014, 06:06 AM   #2

Ceck the wires with a voltmeter however from memory one red wire is hot all the time the other powers the gas valve and the white is ground. Or you could try this one Safe-T-Alert CO/LP Detector with Valve - PPL Motor Homes
1mainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:11 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thank you however the one they sent us, and as they described on the telephone, 'by-passes' the valve in an open position I presume, as it does not control the solenoid...thus the 'harness' however there is not a harness that I am seeing in the wiring to hook it to - just 3 wires going to multiple wires...anyone have experience using this fix as explained to us by Fleetwood parts? Problem is we 'thought' the harness and install would appear intuitive...being naïve once again on the motor home...
Old 08-24-2014, 08:18 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Here's what I did based in FWs advice.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/lp-de...rm-157652.html

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:05 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Googling for manual

http://dutchmen.com/image/data/docum...205%20Inst.pdf

The manual showed a couple of different models, BOTH of them have a red and "not red" wire.. The red wire is 12 volt fused the other is chassis ground (negative) No mention of a harness.

It sounds like your old unit had the ability to shut off a solenoid valve in the event of gas detection.. This unit does not.. So you will have to do something about that vavle, Either provide switched power to the magnet or eliminate the thign entierly.
Old 08-24-2014, 12:20 PM   #6
Community Administrator

FW told me they hadn't used the propane shut off feature for some time. They used two red wires to attach one to the house and the other to the chassis battery. So even if one set of batteries were discharged the other would be sufficient to power the alarm. That's why they told me to splice the two reds together.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:29 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstpoet View Post

We have a 1997 Southwind and the Pre Tell 2 LP detector went bad. We ordered a replacement part through Fleetwood and received a Safe T Alert that has 2 wires coming out of it, along with a wire harness since the 3-wire Pre Tell is no longer available. Does anyone know HOW to install this. I pulled out the Pre Tell and there are 3 wires - 2 Red and 1 White but they are going to several other wires - not just 3, and there is no obvious place to plug in this harness they sent either so it is unclear where to/how to hook this new one up. I searched on the forum but only see mention of this but no 'directions' on how to do it, and also see folks that found 3 wire ones that do continue to shut-off the gas solenoid. I'd like to use what I bought but don't know how to put it in, as well, it would be nice to get it installed so we can once again have hot water. As always your help and this forum are appreciated!!
See this post.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/lp-de...ml#post1530084

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:55 PM   #8

The two red wires go to the two battery banks. The yellow wire provides power to the tank mounted valve solenoid and also acts as a ground for the PreTell II CCI 7719 detector.
You will need to remove the valve to use the two wire detector provided by Fleetwood. The newer 2 wire systems only provide an alert when detecting propane, where as your old system shuts off the propane and provides an alert when there is a leak.

Larry at CCIrepairs@gmail.com in Olathe, KS does repair on the old CCI 7719 detectors.

[ moderator edit ]
Richard
95 Bounder
House Husband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 03:00 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
OR he can do what I and Clifftall has suggested and combine the two red wires together and forget about the LPG safety valve shutoff.

It appears that FW is no longer using that feature anyway.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 08-24-2014, 03:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
OR he can do what I and Clifftall has suggested and combine the two red wires together and forget about the LPG safety valve shutoff.

It appears that FW is no longer using that feature anyway.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
If you tie the two red wires together, you combine your two battery banks into one, thus discharging the chassis battery along with the house battery when dry camping.

Richard
House Husband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 03:20 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
A $10 Roadmaster Diode would fix that.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 08-24-2014, 03:49 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Think this is worth saving for sure! Loads of good info
Thanks
Getting ready to hit the road, But still getting answers. So thanks for the help! 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179
bobandshaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 05:29 PM   #13

LP SOLONOID VALVE, another question.

2000 Bounder 39Z, there is no shut off valve except the solenoid. I have a lot of recent time under the rig working on another issue I started here. I have found no tank shutoff valve on the LP tank.

I read this thread with interest, I only have one question how do you change the solenoid without having the LP discharge
DogHouse Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 05:53 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
There has to be a main manual shut-off valve somewhere.

If there IS none than the Fleetwood "engineers" should be SHOT.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Tags
replace, replacement