Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2017, 08:04 AM   #1

LP Gas Frozen?

Here in Tombstone AZ, the night time temps have been COLD but finally the night temps are starting to warm up! Yesterday I was told, one of the fellow RV'ers LP Gas or Gas line froze and they had no heat. I think the tank just ran out...however I'm curious- is it possible for the LP gas or gas line to freeze up? The temp was 30 degrees. Comments?

Thanks
John
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2017, 08:16 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
LPG will freeze, but only when it gets down to -44F. Highly doubt there's was frozen.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:57 AM   #3

Frozen regulator?
wizechatmgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 10:06 AM   #4

If you look at the chart I have extracted from my owners manual you will see that the amount of BTU's you can extract from your LPG tank goes down dramatically with temp and how full the tank is.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BTU per hour chart.pdf (231.0 KB, 48 views)
z3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 11:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
LPG will freeze, but only when it gets down to -44F. Highly doubt there's was frozen.
Propane doesn't freeze until around -300 degrees Fahrenheit. Its boiling point is -44. Shouldn't have any problems at all at +30 degrees.
Deep Water D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 11:28 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Water D View Post
Propane doesn't freeze until around -300 degrees Fahrenheit. Its boiling point is -44. Shouldn't have any problems at all at +30 degrees.
Sorry, I should have said "will not vaporize" below -44F. You are right.
It will just be an ordinary liquid then, although a very cold liquid!
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 12:01 PM   #7

I suspect the regulator is plugged with Butane Residue.
Propane suppliers in Southern Climates use a higher ratio of Butane which in hotter weather is not a problem. However, when the weather cools down, the Butane does not vaporize as readily and collects (a thick yellow goo) in the regulator to the point where the Reg will not function.
The regulator requires servicing.
Old 03-03-2017, 04:34 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
x2 on a Butane mucked up regulator in the colder temps in area that don't usually get that cold and Butane cut propane is common.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 04:40 PM   #9

Foretravel Owners Club
Butane/Propane mix is also called IsoPropane if the propane is dominate, or IsoButane if butane is the dominate ingredient.
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 12:27 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Had it happen to mine a few days ago. The regulator can freeze up. Shut down whatever appliance you are running and allow it to defrost or a hairdryer does the trick. Mine would freeze up and then thaw and freeze up again. Not sure what causes it but I believe it has something to do with temp and possibly how much humidity there is.
Old 03-04-2017, 09:14 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
LP has a moisture content and when using a lot it is possible to freeze in the regulators orifice when its below freezing?
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 09:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
Had it happen to mine a few days ago. The regulator can freeze up. Shut down whatever appliance you are running and allow it to defrost or a hairdryer does the trick. Mine would freeze up and then thaw and freeze up again. Not sure what causes it but I believe it has something to do with temp and possibly how much humidity there is.
Some how you got moisture in your regulator; it can happen when a line is open to air for an extended period, air was introduced into your LP tank; or you have a percentage of butane in your system as Dennis45 said.
Another possibility is when an LP tank is ran empty, it can introduce "dregs" from the bottom of the tank. Dregs accumulate when the propane you bought was not premiumquality.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 10:35 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have been using propane tanks designed for fork lifts. I rigged up a hose with that type of connection and run it through an extend a stay. The tanks get filled from our bulk tank at our manufacturing plant where I am staying so I assume it is fresh as it is replaced often. I did notice that the gas from our bulk tanks that I fill the fork lift tanks with and use on the motorhome seem to allow the furnace to give off much hotter air. I had one tank run out in the middle of the night and switched over to the motorhomes main tank which had been filled at an rv store and the furnace seemed to give off air that was much cooler in temperature. Could their be a difference?
Old 03-05-2017, 04:18 AM   #14

Are your forklift tanks setup for vapor use.

Some are designed for liquid propane use and the vaporizer is on the engine.

That would be marked on the tank.
The fitting is different because of that.

Do not use a liquid propane connection in a MH. Liquid propane expands 144 times, as it turns to gas. That needs to happen in the tank, before the regulator.

http://www.propane101.com/industrial...ecylinders.htm

Industrial Propane Bottles/ Forklift Cylinders Operation

Propane powered forklifts primarily use 33 pound cylinders as their fuel source and are equipped for liquid service. Because the cylinders are designed for liquid service, they have to be placed properly on the lift truck to operate correctly. Improper cylinder installation can result in loss of power and eventually complete loss of engine functionality.*
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas