Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2013, 06:36 PM   #1

Lukewarm water from the faucets 07 Excursion

Well...I'm back with a new problem on my 2007 Excusion. I have luke warm water at all the faucets. I've removed the mixing valve on the back of the WH (Atwood electronic 10 gallon) and it is clean. I removed the check valve on the hot water line and it too is clean. I made sure the outside sprayer valves were off and still no hot water. For giggles I opened three faucets (40E bath & half), both bathrooms and the kitchen faucet. I also opened the low drain valves (both hot and cold), attached the water line to the outbound side of the check valve and blew into it. It seemed clogged with something because I could hardly blow into it. And when I stopped blowing the water came back at me through the hose. Now...if I have 3 faucets open and low drain line valves open shouldn't I be able to blow out the water with no resistance?? Short of a kinked line what the heck is going on?
I am totally lost on this one.
bossplow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2013, 10:03 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Make sure the valves are in the off position on the outside shower.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:03 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Is it possible that the water heater is just not heating the water enough? How hot is the water if you let the water heater heat up then turn it off and open the drain plug?

Now if you are saying that you have warm water coming out of the cold taps then I would look at my shower heads both inside and out to make sure the faucets are turned off rather than the shower heads.

The only other thing that comes to mind is depending on the make of your coach you will have at least one and maybe two back flow preventers at the back of your water heater which could be failing
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:13 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Do you have a hot water heater bypass valve(s)?
Old 05-13-2013, 10:43 PM   #5

Open the pressure relief valve of the water heater to determine the temperature of the water in the tank. If it is very hot like it is supposed to be, and the water from the faucets is lukewarm, then it is the mixing valve. Common problem with Atwood. I have replaced the mixing valve on mine twice.
Buffalo Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:21 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
Open the pressure relief valve of the water heater to determine the temperature of the water in the tank. If it is very hot like it is supposed to be, and the water from the faucets is lukewarm, then it is the mixing valve. Common problem with Atwood. I have replaced the mixing valve on mine twice.
x2. I replaced mine a few months ago. 40E's are nice rigs
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:08 AM   #7

The water in the heater is hot so it's not that unit. When this problem first popped up I changed the ECO/Tstat first. No change. The mixing valve was clean as a whistle when I took it off so are you saying it can still fail? Is it not possible to make an adjustment to the ratio of hot to cold instead of replacing it?
I believe I have only one inline check valve at least that I can see. I do have a bypass valve for winterizing and I have eliminated that from the equation because it seems to be Ok. When I turn it to bypass I get cold water. When it is in normal operating position I get warm water.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:10 PM   #8

I have two bypass valves one you have to stand on your head to get to it. When you cleaned your mixing valve did you make it adjustable when you had it off I did.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:37 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
My understanding from Atwood is the mixing valve usually needs to be replaced when it fails. There is a check valve in there that gets calcium buildup and you will never get the calcium deposits out of it. If you think that is good, I would recheck the outside sprayer in the bay. Make sure no water comes out of it.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:55 AM   #10

When I pulled the MV I removed the glue on the allen screw so I could remove the plastic cap and it can be adjusted now. I have checked the outside sprayer several times and it is shut off. When I adjust the mixing valve am I adjusting how much cold water mixes with the hot water? It makes sense to me with this application that the hot water would be the constant and the adjustment would be to the cold water side to set a tolerable temperature. Am I correct?
Old 05-20-2013, 09:52 AM   #11

I have a 2007 excursion 40 E and a short while after I bought it used my hot water was coming out warm. I drained the water heater and lots of calcium deposits came out, some the size of small gravel. I poked around to help loosen more and put a hose up to the drain to. I then let the heater fill up and drained it again. It worked!
I no longer have a problem. The water heater was only 3 years old at the time and was very clogged. Good luck with yours. We love our excursion. Fearlessfritz
Fearlessfrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:01 PM   #12

Sorry I haven't responded lately but I had something I had to deal with. I removed and soaked the check valve in vinegar for a couple days, reinstalled it, and fired up the system. While it was heating up I opened the mixing valve one turn and viola! hot water. One thing I had to do to get at the check valve (I could see it through the tiny access hole by the toilet in the Master bathroom but couldn't reach it) was to cut an access hole in the lower left side of the closet wall under the bypass valve. That access is below the W/D floor and the top of the engine hood. Only 5" tall but what a difference that made! Now if I need to get into that space again (hope not!!) that access will make it so much easier.
Thanks to everyone who helped. We love our Excursion but he better behave!

Tags
water