Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2015, 08:45 PM   #1

Magnum inverter/charger remote display wiring

I have a 2008 Diesel 38F Bounder. The display panel for the Magnum inverter/charger has gone blank. I restarted the inverter and also unplugged the remote display cable. Nothing. I got a phone line from Goodwill (as per Magnum web site) to plug the display panel in at the inverter. It worked fine. It seems the cable went bad somehow. My question is: How do I snake a new cable from the inverter to the remote display? Anybody have an idea? It is inside a 1/2 inch curly cable cover and is about 50 feet long. I do have a RJ-11 crimping tool and a spool of phone wire.

Jim
AZCoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2015, 10:29 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It is possible that you have a bad connector.

Can you check each pin for continuity?
Much easier to crimp on a new connector.

Where is your remote display located?
You can take off the A pillar cover and run wires from the dash to the upper cabinets.

Dan
Old 04-19-2015, 11:32 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
It is possible that you have a bad connector.

Can you check each pin for continuity?
Much easier to crimp on a new connector.

Where is your remote display located?
You can take off the A pillar cover and run wires from the dash to the upper cabinets.

Dan
Thanks for the response Dan. I cannot check each pin with my volt/ohm meter because the tips are too big. I will have to get a wall plug so I can check them. I am planning a trip to the hardware store.

I should just cut the wires and replace the connectors. That might be the easiest to try first. You never know.

The display is located in the panel on the top right front of the coach with all the other displays under a glass front door. I have removed the four screws that hold in the meter and tested it as I said before, connected directly to the Magnum inverter.

The wire runs down the right post into the generator compartment, then along the generator and disappears into the center of the coach. It reappears through a hole into the back of the compartment near the left rear of the coach with the invertor. How can I access the under coach area?
Old 04-20-2015, 11:59 AM   #4

Commercial Member

AZ Coder,

[moderator edit] Being as you tried a new cable and everything worked properly I would say you are absolutely correct in assuming the current cable is bad. Unfortunately pulling new cable is 99% easier said than done. I would purchase a crimp tool from Home Depot or Lowes or similar store and crimp 2 new ends on each cable. Hopefully this fixes all your problems. Just be sure to crimp the new ends exactly as the old ones were with the colors the same. [moderator edit]
InverterServ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 12:06 PM   #5

Just to be complete, I have got the Magnum Display to work. I tried replacing the RJ-11 connectors, but no change. I found a wall plug with screws on the back that I connected to one end of the cable. I cut a spare 6 foot phone cord in half and used one end and tied all the wires together. I plugged this into a phone line connector and then plugged the other end of the Magnum cable into it. I used an ohm meter to test the cable. I had an open connection between all wires. This meant the wires were cut/chewed/broken somewhere. The only choice was to replace it.

I had a 200 foot reel of phone cable, so I snaked the cable from the rear compartment, along the left inside frame rail to the generator compartment. Then I remove the right pillar cover and feed the wire into the compartment in back of the meter. I used a #10 piece of wire to help go over the water and fuel tanks. I feed the wire from the front and taped it to the phone cable. Then I just pulled the wire to the next open point and repeated.

I added RJ-11 connectors at each end of the new cable. The four wires need to be mirrored at each end. Plugged in the cable to the Magnum invertor and the Magnum display and all worked. I just taped/tied the wire at several points along the way. It was a lot of work going in and out under the coach. I would say about 4 hours. So, it cost me $12 in parts and saved me $500 in labor

I hope it lasts for awhile.

Jim
Old 04-20-2015, 12:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by InverterServ View Post
AZ Coder,
I am an authorized Magnum service facility here in TN. Being as you tried a new cable and everything worked properly I would say you are absolutely correct in assuming the current cable is bad. Unfortunately pulling new cable is 99% easier said than done. I would purchase a crimp tool from Home Depot or Lowes or similar store and crimp 2 new ends on each cable. Hopefully this fixes all your problems. Just be sure to crimp the new ends exactly as the old ones were with the colors the same. If you need new ends or would like a new Magnum factory cable please let me know and I will be happy to send you one.
I guess I was typing my post when you posted. Thanks for the offer! I hope what I did will last me for a while. Thanks again for the information.

Jim
Old 04-20-2015, 12:21 PM   #7

AZ... Let's say you just are having a really bad time with the whole wiring thing... you want it off your plate. You can get a network tech from BEST BUY.... GEEKS... to use their cable tester and crimp tool to do that for you at some fee from BEST BUY. Other network guys could do that easily...and if you were in my KY neck of the woods ...I would do the test and crimps for you.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 10:40 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCoder View Post
I guess I was typing my post when you posted. Thanks for the offer! I hope what I did will last me for a while. Thanks again for the information.

Jim
Jim,

What kind of coach do you have (nothing in your signature. )
On my Phaeton, when I ran a brake light wire, I was able to run it inside the square tubing that makes up the frame for the basement.
Too late for you now, but being inside the tubing is great protection.
That covers the wire from the back wheels to the front wheel wells.

Save for future reference.

Regards,

Dan

Tags
inverter, wiring