RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2019, 05:23 AM   #1

Main and Aux battery switch explanation

Can any one tell me how the main and aux switches work it appears that they are momentary rocker switches with relays they are labeled aux and main I looked in the owners manual and there is not much info.The previous owner had the main and Aux hooked to 1 battery and the second battery was just setting there unhooked I assume that the disconnected battery was bad I did charge and load test it and it failed test the batteries were also not deep cycle they were just automotive batteries, So I got 2 fresh deep cycle batteries and installed them it also appears that the second battery is not charging I have alot ot figure out on this rig. I am glad I found and joined this forum I own a auto repair shop so if any one has engine related questions I can be of assistance but being new to Class A so I am leaning a lot about the Class A world.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2019, 05:53 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ephratah View Post
Can any one tell me how the main and aux switches work it appears that they are momentary rocker switches with relays they are labeled aux and main I looked in the owners manual and there is not much info.The previous owner had the main and Aux hooked to 1 battery and the second battery was just setting there unhooked I assume that the disconnected battery was bad I did charge and load test it and it failed test the batteries were also not deep cycle they were just automotive batteries, So I got 2 fresh deep cycle batteries and installed them it also appears that the second battery is not charging I have alot ot figure out on this rig. I am glad I found and joined this forum I own a auto repair shop so if any one has engine related questions I can be of assistance but being new to Class A so I am leaning a lot about the Class A world.
Are you sure that there are only two batteries under the hood? My 1997 Bounder 32H had 2 deep cycle 6 volt batteries in a rack on the drivers side behind the radiator, hooked in series and a standard 12 volt starting battery in addition. The main disconnect was connected to the chassis starting battery and the Aux was connected to the two deep cycle batteries. All battery operations were controlled by the BCC, which was mounted on the firewall (black box) Internal to it there are two momentary "trombetta" disconnects as well as a single, continuous duty battery isolation solenoid switch which was controlled by the BCC and also was run by the battery boost switch on the panel.

In the 1997 version all batteries were charged by the converter or the alternator when underway. I do have a bunch of troubleshooting info for the BCC if you need it.
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 06:14 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Your coach should have a total of three batteries, two for everything in the coach and one for the chassis. The two for the coach should be six volt deep cycle and be wired to the aux switch and the third battery a twelve volt automotive battery wired to the main switch. The coach batteries may be under the entrance steps and the chassis battery behind the front grille. The aux switch will disconnect the coach batteries from any load in the motorhome. The main will disconnect the chassis battery from any load on the chassis. Some fleetwoods of that era left the chassis battery wired to the starter when the main is turned off. Any time motorhome is in use both switches should be turned on and only turned off when not in use and not hooked up to elec.Pushing on the top of the switches turns them on and pushing on the bottom turns them off.
giteup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 08:47 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
On mine, which should be very similar to yours; The MAIN is your chassis battery and the AUX is your coach battery.

The momentary switches cause a magnetically controlled relay (solenoid) to either CONNECT or DISCONNECT the batteries.

When DISCONNECTED, this has the same effect as physically removing the battery cables from the battery. The batteries won't supply power to the systems (not entirely correct for the chassis battery) and are not charged by the converter.

NOTE - When the MAIN battery is disconnected, its still connected to the starter and a couple other systems, i.e. these will have 12 volts on them, so don't short them out. BUT, the items that control the starter and the other systems are disconnected.

These are mainly intended for storage. i.e. DISCONNECT the batteries if you plan on storing for more than a few weeks.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 05:18 AM   #5

I have 3 batteries total 2 batteries are in compartment behind front tire and 1 under the hood. It had 2 small 12 volt batteries in the compartment but only 1 was hooked up and 1 under the hood when we purchased it I did not realize that they should be deep cycle 6 volts I sell Interstate batteries so I put 2 series 27 12 volt deep cycle in it. I am going to tie the together now knowing how the system kind of is designed the owners manual is vague on all the important stuff of course it has all the common sense stuff in it.
Old 08-03-2019, 05:29 AM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
eprahtah-

I found these two Web pages helpful:

The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)
The 12volt Side of Life Part 2

They do not discuss cross-charging between the chassis and house battery systems. Most coaches charge the house batteries when the engine is running. Some coaches charge the chassis batteries when the coach is plugged into 120VAC. You need to investigate not only what is there now, but what should be there and whether any cross-charging components are working as designed. For a Fleetwood, I would begin by researching the term "BCC" (Battery Control Center). Many Fleetwoods carry a BCC.

"Waiter21's" Web site (link here) is a wealth of information on your-era Fleetwood Class A coaches.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 06:26 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
You probably have a Battery Control Center (BCC) similiar to mine.

I have a short article of when I replaced the isolation solenoid, There are a lot of useful photos in that article.

http://www.1999southwind.com/replace...id-in-the-bcc/

ALSO - This is a link to the BCC manual. Look in the back, (page 8) it has a diagram of a basic electrical system as it would be connected to the BCC.

http://1999southwind.com/DOWNLOAD/RV...ucts%20BCC.pdf

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 11:00 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

No worries. The Aux batteries can be 6v (in series) or 12v (in parallel) and may have come configured either way. It's just different packaging to perhaps get different amp-hour capacity. There is "should have" or right vs wrong and some coaches come with 12v and others 6v. Your choice of Group 27 12v in parallel is fine for the house (Aux) set. You probably wnt an additional 12v starting battery for the chassis (Main).

The Aux and Main are isolated from each other except when cross-charging. That's so that the house system cannot run down the chassis battery and leave you unable to start the engine. There will be a solenoid that connects the two system when conditions are right for charging, i.e. engine running or shore r genset power available to the house charging system.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, switch