Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2013, 04:00 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Maintenance of MH Roof

I am new to MH's. I have a question about how often should you clean and treat the roof. Mine, (2002, 30' Storm) has been in storage most of its life. I got to wondering if I should have the complete roof treated. I had the vents replaced and the roof resealed. However, it just occurred to me that resealing might not address the roof needs completely and that I might need to have the entire roof treated. It was stored outside and subjected to all kinds of weather. I will appreciate any suggestions and an idea of what would be a fair price to pay someone to do it. Thanks.
Herb matlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2013, 05:23 PM   #2

First, I assume you have a rubber roof?

If so, it should be cleaned and treated with the appropriate product. Dicor makes a cleaner/treatment kit I have used and works very well. Can't remember what the kit was worth but it was reasonable. 40-50 bucks I think and was good for about 3 treatments. Not a real tough job but it does entail being up on the roof and maybe you are not comfortable with doing that.
So, to have someone do the job for me, if I bought the kit, I don't think $100 would be out of line. It should be done at least on an annual basis.
If you are wanting to do it yourself, google RV Geeks in YouTube and I'm sure you will come up with a video with step by step instructions. Even if not, it will give you an idea of what is involved and what it might be worth to have someone do it for you.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:33 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am unable to do the climb to the roof. So have a RV shop do an annual inspection and repair/reseal as needed.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:27 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
dennis45. I think I have a rubber or whatever replaced the rubber roof. I am unable to climb to the roof, so I need to hire it done. I would enjoy doing it, but have gotten too old to risk it. Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:37 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
vsheetz, having it done annually at a RV shop sounds like the way I need to have it done. Would you mind sharing the approximate cost for just the basic reseal and roof treatment? We do not have annual inspections in Ok.
I asked our local RV shop today, what they would charge to wash/wax (NOT hand wax, they don't do that) and treat the roof. They said between $200-250. Is that reasonable in your opinion? I am approaching 81 years old and shouldn't risk climbing the roof. Thank you for the information.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:45 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We have a Brite Tek roof. I wash it once a year and spray 303 on it and the vent covers. After 11 years it still looks almost new and I think a good scrubbing with a stiff brush and a good soap and it would look new.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:22 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

The only maintenance it needs is an annual cleaning (wash with detergent and some bleach) and an inspecton of the caulked seams/openings, with repair or touch-up of the caulk as needed. As long as the roof is in ok physical condition, meaning no tears, no loose spots, and no fabric backing showing through the rubber or TPO coating, it is fine. It does not need any "treatments", i.e. no waxing and no coating of any new EPDM. Since yours has been kept under cover, I would expect it to be in excellent condition and the original roof to last 20-30 years. Even kept outside in all kinds of weather, it should last 15 years with just routine care. Your challenge is to find a RV tech or roofing professional to inspect it and do a good job of repairing the seam caulks and not try to sell you a bunch of stuff you don't need.

The real enemy of these roofs is water leaks from failed caulk on the seams (sides and ends) and openings (a/c, vent pipes, skylights, etc). Keep that caulk in good repair and you should have no problems unless you scrape under into a tree limb.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:17 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
The only maintenance it needs is an annual cleaning (wash with detergent and some bleach) and an inspecton of the caulked seams/openings, with repair or touch-up of the caulk as needed. As long as the roof is in ok physical condition, meaning no tears, no loose spots, and no fabric backing showing through the rubber or TPO coating, it is fine. It does not need any "treatments", i.e. no waxing and no coating of any new EPDM. Since yours has been kept under cover, I would expect it to be in excellent condition and the original roof to last 20-30 years. Even kept outside in all kinds of weather, it should last 15 years with just routine care. Your challenge is to find a RV tech or roofing professional to inspect it and do a good job of repairing the seam caulks and not try to sell you a bunch of stuff you don't need.

The real enemy of these roofs is water leaks from failed caulk on the seams (sides and ends) and openings (a/c, vent pipes, skylights, etc). Keep that caulk in good repair and you should have no problems unless you scrape under into a tree limb.
Thank you for the info, RVRoamer. Will do.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:02 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb matlock View Post
vsheetz, having it done annually at a RV shop sounds like the way I need to have it done. Would you mind sharing the approximate cost for just the basic reseal and roof treatment? We do not have annual inspections in Ok.
I asked our local RV shop today, what they would charge to wash/wax (NOT hand wax, they don't do that) and treat the roof. They said between $200-250. Is that reasonable in your opinion? I am approaching 81 years old and shouldn't risk climbing the roof. Thank you for the information.
I have paid from zero for a no action needed inspection, to a few hundred dollars to have all existing caulking removed and reapplied- all depends on the type of roof and what is needed. Be sure and have them inspect any slide toppers as well.

I get a day laborer to do spring cleanup of the yard - and have them wash down the motorhome roof at that time as well.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:12 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have a 39' Providence. When I took it into Lazy Days, in Tampa, they wanted just over $1,000 to re-caulk my roof. I finally did it myself, a lot cheaper, but it took a couple of days and I had to climb up on the roof.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:36 AM   #11

Herb: I have been using Comet with bleach as my roof stain scrubbing agent....and dish detergent as my soap agent for the 3 times I have scrubbed the roof on my RV since I bought it. I have a Little Giant type ladder and place padding on the ladder as I lean it against the RV. But I have been successful at spotting and repairing all roof material issues by getting myself up there inspecting and reviewing. Plus I was able to apply and recoat my roof last year with Liquid Rubber.... The project was a bit messy but I saved myself a ton of money as a do it yourself project. It took longer to clean the roof than coat it. Please note.... I did not remove the AC units.... I coated up to them.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:47 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
I have paid from zero for a no action needed inspection, to a few hundred dollars to have all existing caulking removed and reapplied- all depends on the type of roof and what is needed. Be sure and have them inspect any slide toppers as well.

I get a day laborer to do spring cleanup of the yard - and have them wash down the motorhome roof at that time as well.
I like the day laborer idea. I took mine in to a RV Center this morning, to have the roof washed and treated, seals rechecked (should be alright), and to wash the exterior. I had a problem with a tear on the awning at the seam where it joins the roller, so I am also having it replaced.
We're going with our children and grand children to Gulf Shores, Ala. for a few days to do some deep sea fishing. The MH should be ready to pick up when we get back.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:53 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gocoffeer View Post
Herb: I have been using Comet with bleach as my roof stain scrubbing agent....and dish detergent as my soap agent for the 3 times I have scrubbed the roof on my RV since I bought it. I have a Little Giant type ladder and place padding on the ladder as I lean it against the RV. But I have been successful at spotting and repairing all roof material issues by getting myself up there inspecting and reviewing. Plus I was able to apply and recoat my roof last year with Liquid Rubber.... The project was a bit messy but I saved myself a ton of money as a do it yourself project. It took longer to clean the roof than coat it. Please note.... I did not remove the AC units.... I coated up to them.
Gocoffeer, sounds like you are doing the job the way I used to be able to do it, and wish that I still could. Haha. It would be unsafe for me to get up on a ladder. I am almost 81, so I have to hire it done. Thanks.......
Old 05-22-2013, 08:58 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Made a deal with my rv dealer to clean roof and apply Kool Seal Top Coat for $160. They did a great job and it looks good. Most clean annually and reseal every 5 years.

Tags
maintenance, roof