Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2019, 05:30 PM   #1

Manual Leveling

I have a 2016 Bounder 35K with the power gear leveling system. I have never used the "manual feature" to level, altho a couple of times the auto system was having my front wheels off the ground-maybe an inch or so. My question is...would the manual level mode prevent this? Not too worried about left to right as I am front to back, or can left to right be done as well? Am I being paranoid about leveling? Have never really had an issue, want to be prepared "just in case".
16bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2019, 05:33 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16bounder View Post
I have a 2016 Bounder 35K with the power gear leveling system. I have never used the "manual feature" to level, altho a couple of times the auto system was having my front wheels off the ground-maybe an inch or so. My question is...would the manual level mode prevent this? Not too worried about left to right as I am front to back, or can left to right be done as well? Am I being paranoid about leveling? Have never really had an issue, want to be prepared "just in case".
Not the same system, but we only level ours manually. I can get it done more quickly and wind up with the rig lower every time. I've not used automatic in a couple of years.

I'm convinced that the auto manual on ours is insane.
Old 07-18-2019, 06:12 PM   #3

Quote:

The manual mode can be trying. Best is to hold the button in for a long time till it lights up in manual. Some times I have to turn off the ignition and let it reset in order to get it changed.
Good luck
Old 07-18-2019, 07:58 PM   #4

We have a 2016 Bounder and use manual mode quite often. You can do front to back and side to side. This will usually eliminate having a tire off the ground. Give it a try. You are not likely to hurt anything.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:10 PM   #5

We do the same. The Manual Button can be stubborn however. Takes a lot less time to level in Manual mode versus Auto
Old 07-18-2019, 08:32 PM   #6

We have a 2014 Southwind with the same levelling system.
When we first got it, I used the "auto" system each time, and in many cases the wheels did come off the ground.
I have always heard this is not good, and that your wheels should never leave the ground.
Shortly after, a long time RV'er told me to use the "Manual" system only, and ever since I have used nothing but.
"Manual" is easy, you simply adjust the buttons based on which of the 4 points is lit up, and my wheels never leave the ground.
The lights on the display indicate the low points front to back and side to side.
Once level, a green light in the centre of the display will come on.
As an FYI, the levelling system works on a 25 amp in-line fuse located high in the dash behind the speedometer and not in one of the 3 fuse boxes.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 04:26 PM   #7

There is a way to reset level on the Power Gear System. That said I did it and still use the manual process. I find it is quicker and I get a better level. The half bath door does not lie!
computerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 09:24 AM   #8

I manually level exclusively.
Deep Water D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 09:32 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
agreed, same experience here. Sometimes manual sort of gives you the wrong answer at least based on my little bitty floor level.

If the site is very unlevel I always manage to get the left to right adjusted before bringing out the slides.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	swanson-standard-level-ccl001-64_1000.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	253928  
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 07:57 PM   #10

I'll cast my vote for manual leveling, too. I'm not saying that I don't get lazy sometimes and auto-level, especially if the site is already pretty close or if I'm just curious to see how it will do. However, it's not uncommon that auto-leveling will raise the entire coach higher than necessary and take a tire off the ground. Then I have to start all over.

If you haven't done it in a while, it's probably a good idea to reread the manual before manual leveling (no pun intended).
Old 06-18-2020, 05:50 PM   #11

I have read in many places that your wheels should not be off the ground. In my driveway, it is extremely not level and the wheels would be off the ground if I do not do the following.... I put leveling pads on the driveway, then drive up on them until mostly level. I also put a level on the floor. Then I proceed to use the auto-leveling. I think next time I will try the manual leveling by starting front to back first.
Kellyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 05:54 PM   #12

I haven’t used the auto feature in years for that very reason. With a little practice the manual procedure becomes second nature and is actually faster.
Old 06-29-2020, 04:16 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Leveling

On my 2016 HR 35K I use the automatic first and then when it gets done I use manual to raise the drivers side a little. I had problems with the bedroom slide leaking when it rained and read somewhere that if you just raise the drivers side a tad it would stop the leak. It has not leaked since I started doing that.
darbyjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 12:29 PM   #14

Quote:

I have a 2014 35k never a problem with manual. Tires were off ground a couple inches yesterday as storm moved in. I wanted tires on ground. Pushed manual button until lights up. Them touched down a couple times to lower front. Done shut off
mrsportys is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling, manual