Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2016, 10:01 AM   #29

Sure is nice to have all that info at your fingertips! Looks like a good weeks worth of reading!
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2016, 10:35 AM   #30

American Coach Owners Club
Glenn, Thanks for all the links, I've been fighting my Power Gear for a few days, I usually can figure stuff like this out but I'm whipped and don't want to toss parts at it.

I have no power at the dash touch pad (jacks are up) and no air dump operation. Been all over the wiring diagrams you posted.
I've looked high, low, in dash, rear of battery box, under bed for fuses. The ones I find are good, ground and power connections are good....

I do get power at the basement control box when coach engine is running and using the diagnostic chart with the manual it appears the neutral switch, oil PSI and parking brake sensors are all good and making connection at the control box.

Does anyone know how to check for a defective control box? The manual says the box and touch pad a obsolete parts and must now be replace as one with part # 500643

Anybody here done this? Ideas? Sometimes the most obvious issues are the hardest to spot!
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 10:50 AM   #31

Don't forget those ground connections! Both my 93 and 07 rigs had a number of loose ground connections. I found a 2g cable running from behind the dash that was loose! Never tightened from the factory!
In the interior, under a drawer I found a 4 post ground lug that had ALL FOUR nuts loose, Vanity lights, furnace and water pump switch grounds all finger tight!
Old 11-03-2016, 11:05 AM   #32
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackwrench View Post
Glenn, Thanks for all the links, I've been fighting my Power Gear for a few days, I usually can figure stuff like this out but I'm whipped and don't want to toss parts at it.

I have no power at the dash touch pad (jacks are up) and no air dump operation. Been all over the wiring diagrams you posted.
I've looked high, low, in dash, rear of battery box, under bed for fuses. The ones I find are good, ground and power connections are good....

I do get power at the basement control box when coach engine is running and using the diagnostic chart with the manual it appears the neutral switch, oil PSI and parking brake sensors are all good and making connection at the control box.

Does anyone know how to check for a defective control box? The manual says the box and touch pad a obsolete parts and must now be replace as one with part # 500643

Anybody here done this? Ideas? Sometimes the most obvious issues are the hardest to spot!
Not having done any research I would guess at neutral safety. I thing you and I have the same panel and control box as I find the same note on my box and panel.

I have not found a wiring diagram for the panel. I have asked if there is one for my panel (semi-automatic with diamond buttons) if I get one I will forward it.

Glenn

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 12:27 PM   #33

Thanks for y'all input and suggestions....
I looked hard at neutral safety. It appears the controller "passes" ground though for the neutral switch controller from 6-pin connector #6 to pin #2 and passes "ground" for the parking brake at pin# 1.

And I have addressed grounds, even as much as making a few jumpers to clip on.

But no lights at touch panel. The mfg flow chart wants be to replace controller/touch pad. But I'm not 100% yet....

Your links include the exact control box/touch pad. Mine's also the one with the "diamond" shaped buttons.

Next move is to measure voltage, Ohm's and continuity at every connector pin and compare to diagram. I would think there's a way to diagnose the controller/touch pad short of replacing it. I have printed a few of the T.I.P.s you linked here and verify what is where....I was only using the single page diagram that came with the system, but you've added a load of info here.

I'm going to give it another go tonight. I got so po'ed I had to get away from it a few days....lol....sometimes it's better to walk away from the issue, and when I return, BAM the problem is spotted! Ha-Ha
Old 11-03-2016, 01:29 PM   #34

Oh yeah, been their, done that on my 93 PADP with the HWH kick down jacks. Good to take a breather once in a while. Good luck and keep us posted. Interesting thread here.
Old 11-03-2016, 03:10 PM   #35
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks for y'all input and suggestions....
I looked hard at neutral safety. It appears the controller "passes" ground though for the neutral switch controller from 6-pin connector #6 to pin #2 and passes "ground" for the parking brake at pin# 1.

And I have addressed grounds, even as much as making a few jumpers to clip on.

But no lights at touch panel. The mfg flow chart wants be to replace controller/touch pad. But I'm not 100% yet....

Your links include the exact control box/touch pad. Mine's also the one with the "diamond" shaped buttons.

Next move is to measure voltage, Ohm's and continuity at every connector pin and compare to diagram. I would think there's a way to diagnose the controller/touch pad short of replacing it. I have printed a few of the T.I.P.s you linked here and verify what is where....I was only using the single page diagram that came with the system, but you've added a load of info here.

I'm going to give it another go tonight. I got so po'ed I had to get away from it a few days....lol....sometimes it's better to walk away from the issue, and when I return, BAM the problem is spotted! Ha-Ha
Got this from Bill at Power Gear.

Correct control panel, Page 18 (paper numbers in the PDF not PDF numbers)

Page 9 is my tank and valve assembly

Page 22 appears to be the wiring diagram, but only shows three wires to the control panel. I believe I have many more, been awhile since I looked.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-03-2016, 07:29 PM   #36

Glenn, Mine is same as yours......There are 3 wires to touch pad, 2 grey and one violet. When coach is switched on, the # 1 wire in touch pad connector gets 12 volts

(on page 22 of the above pdf) The 8 pin connector shows a black/white wire from controller to chassis for main ground. When coach is off, I have good ground continuity, when I start engine the ground is open? The diagram show this wire goes from controller direct to chassis ground. I would think only if the controller has an issue would it lose it....

Also the blue wire in the 8 pin shows to go to motor solenoid, it is grounded for some reason as well. I disconnected the blue wire at solenoid and can make motor run by jumping it.

With coach running I have power at the touch pad, I have power at the # 4 and 5 pins at the 6 wire connector. With coach off I have ground at the 1, 2 & 4 pins. All this appears to be OK as per diagram...but....No matter what I cannot get on/off to come on touch pad.

I have followed the instructions on page 24 of the PDF in your above post......and last option is to replace controller...

Can you forward me the contact at Power Gear? I'm whipped.
Old 11-03-2016, 09:30 PM   #37
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Glenn, Mine is same as yours......There are 3 wires to touch pad, 2 grey and one violet. When coach is switched on, the # 1 wire in touch pad connector gets 12 volts

(on page 22 of the above pdf) The 8 pin connector shows a black/white wire from controller to chassis for main ground. When coach is off, I have good ground continuity, when I start engine the ground is open? The diagram show this wire goes from controller direct to chassis ground. I would think only if the controller has an issue would it lose it....

Also the blue wire in the 8 pin shows to go to motor solenoid, it is grounded for some reason as well. I disconnected the blue wire at solenoid and can make motor run by jumping it.

With coach running I have power at the touch pad, I have power at the # 4 and 5 pins at the 6 wire connector. With coach off I have ground at the 1, 2 & 4 pins. All this appears to be OK as per diagram...but....No matter what I cannot get on/off to come on touch pad.

I have followed the instructions on page 24 of the PDF in your above post......and last option is to replace controller...

Can you forward me the contact at Power Gear? I'm whipped.
I have sent a PM.

Iam almost afraid to use the leveling system at this point.

Glenn

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-03-2016, 11:30 PM   #38

MackWrench
Pinched wireing harness or a screw run thru somw wires? Hang in there bud! The plot thickens!
Old 11-04-2016, 07:22 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchero View Post
MackWrench
Pinched wireing harness or a screw run thru somw wires? Hang in there bud! The plot thickens!
I could only be so lucky......I be happy to have that issue. I'll get back on it this weekend.
Old 11-04-2016, 06:27 PM   #40

Spoke with Power Gear (Lippert) on the phone today. Their tech was very competent and was able to confirm the check and procedures I used to determine the problem. Very good customer technical skills.
Diagnosis:
The touch pad is bad. Only way is to replace both controller and touch pad with updated components. Sucks but true.
$1,017.00.....
I'll have to dig up some loot!
Old 11-04-2016, 06:45 PM   #41

Ouch! Ebay? Salvage? Thanks for update.
Old 11-04-2016, 06:47 PM   #42

Quote:
Spoke with Power Gear (Lippert) on the phone today. Their tech was very competent and was able to confirm the check and procedures I used to determine the problem. Very good customer technical skills.
Diagnosis:
The touch pad is bad. Only way is to replace both controller and touch pad with updated components. Sucks but true.
$1,017.00.....
I'll have to dig up some loot!
Just me but, I that find that hard to believe - Both at the same time ? Call AC and talk to their Tech's first !
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, leveling, lippert, ems, power gear