Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2014, 06:46 PM   #1

Manually Lowering 2012 Fleetwood Providence

Okay, I have talked to my dealer service tech and have even called Fleetwood with a question on lowering our coach but haven't gotten advice that has solved the issue yet. Might be me. Thought I would try here before assuming I have a malfunction.

My question is: how do I lower the coach before leveling? (the power gear system I have doesn't automatically lower the coach) the power gear system works great to level the coach without dropping the chassis. I just would like to bring it down a bit before leveling.

I have a "lower coach" rocker on the dashboard which I have been told by Fleetwood to hold down while the engine is running, brake on, transmission in neutral in order to to lower the coach prior to leveling. No dice. I can hold it for several minutes without effect. However, as I retract the jacks after sitting overnight, the coach chassis drops into the low position. Argh.

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance to any who comment.
Daveark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2014, 06:52 PM   #2

We have a 2009 Expedition and drop it while the engine is running by flipping my dump valve left of the steering wheel at knee height. It took me a few time to figure out how to lower mine as well. Lowering certainly makes it easier to get in and out of the coach.

2009 Fleetwood Expedition 38F
2013 Scion XB toad

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 05-03-2014, 07:21 PM   #3

Thanks. Engine running condition is same as our Providence. Mine doesn't have a flip to a dump position. Constant pressure is required on the rocker to hold in place. Actually that would be fine if anything happened.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:30 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Daveark, on mine I have an all corners lowering button, that lowers the coach, but I have to have it in the manual mode for it to work. I think default is auto mode. Hope this helps
sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 07:45 PM   #5

Thanks Sparky. I hadn't tried turning on the power gear system (along with selecting manual mode) prior to hitting the lowering rocker on the dash. May try that if another Providence owner doesn't weigh in with a Providence specific solution.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:04 PM   #6

I have an air suspension dump valve just to the left of the steering column, on the dash. Its a slide to the left or right just like a truck system on our 2012 42P.

When I slide the valve to the lower position, it drops the whole coach. Be carful that your steps are clear to extend before you drop the air.

This works independently of any other system, engine running or not, and no electrical associations.
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:44 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
We have 2012 Providence 42M. Also had a 2003 Excursion both lower with the before mentioned auto dump located on the dash by the drivers left knee. Do you have a Spartan or Freightliner chassis. You might contact either if there isn't the described switch.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 04:09 AM   #8

I have a 2012 Providence which has the lower coach rocker switch to the left of the steering column. It does not work either. I did email fleetwood and they said to lower the coach by using the auto leveler. This works, the air is dumped before the jacks lower.

Lately I use the manual button. You have to hold it in for a few seconds. Then auto for leveling. I find using this method that the tags air would dump as well.

If you have found a way to get the toggle lower coach switch working I'd be interested.
Barnackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:45 AM   #9

Thumbs down

I have a 2012 Providence also that the air dump to the left of the steering wheel does nothing. I have never been able to get it to work.
GAS 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 05:51 AM   #10

If our leveling system would handle dumping air either in auto or manual mode, that would be great. Unfortunately, that is not in the system programming for our Providence.

I did get the rocker switch to work. It has been a while since I used it, but I think I had to have it in drive (instead of park or neutral) to lower the coach. Don't recall whether I had to have the parking brake on or not, but I don't think so. Sorry traveling away from the coach or I would go check. Can check this weekend.

The process I have used is semi-comical to watch: (1) lower it manually with the rocker, (2) put the coach in park and then (3) hurry to level. The problem is, the air returns when in park and the coach rises before completing leveling.

I think the lowering function for my 2012 Providence is useful only if I were trying to slip under something while moving.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:50 AM   #11

Manually lowering 2013 Fleetwood Excursion Lower Coach button

I saw that several folks with the 2012 Fleetwood Providence could not get their "Lower Coach" momentary rocker switch to do anything.
I don't really understand what DAVEARK did to finally get his to lower. Can you clarify that again?

I've tried my diesel pusher:
- key in accessory (ebrake on) with no result.
- the engine off, but ignition on (ebrake on) with no result
- with the engine running in Neutral/Ebrake on with no result

I have NOT tried the power park leveler in Manual Mode with the engine on and then pushing lower coach rocker switch.
I have also NOT tried pressing the lower coach rocker switch with the engine running and in DRIVE. (which seems counter productive as I'm trying to lower the coach BEFORE leveling and as DAVEARK said the comedy routine of lowering then racing to get the levelers to operate).

Thanks
davemilster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 10:19 AM   #12

I have a 2014 Providence. I have only had it about seven months and have only used the auto feature of the leveling system. However, on mine, when I activate the auto feature, it lowers first and then proceeds to level.

I will have to try to experiment with the manual feature.

I have a large metal building at my home, that I store my MH in (along with boat, tractor, Dodge 3500 and too many other "treasures"
When I built the building (20 years ago), I had a fifth-wheel that was 11' 8" tall. I was going to build the building with a 12' door, but thought to be safe, I would go with a 13' door.
Well, the 2014 Providence is 12'10" tall... It's a close fit, with less than 2" clearance at the front AC unit while backing in. I always dump the tag, before backing in, but I also wonder if "lowering the coach" would be advisable??
I know there would be some concern with turning the front wheels, with the coach lowered. Rookie question, but can the coach be moved at all, when lowered?
TRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 11:57 AM   #13

Manually lowering 2013 Fleetwood Excursion Lower Coach button

I wrote:
I have also NOT tried pressing the lower coach rocker switch with the engine running and in DRIVE. (which seems counter productive as I'm trying to lower the coach BEFORE leveling and as DAVEARK said the comedy routine of lowering then racing to get the levelers to operate)

I have since tried this method and SURE as SHOOTIN' with my foot on the brake, in DRIVE, engine running, pressing the LOWER COACH toggle switch LOWERS the Coach. Letting it go the coach immediately returns to ride height.

What POSSIBLE use does this feature serve other than lowering the coach if you wedge it under something???

Lowering the coach, then killing the engine in drive does seem to keep the coach lowered. But what a dumb way to do it!
davemilster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fleetwood, manual