RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2019, 11:54 PM   #1

Mice in the Coach

I have a suspicion that mice are entering our 2008 Bounder 32W through the heater vent that heats (warms?) the water tanks. Once in the vent system they would have a super highway to go anywhere the vents take them by going to the "intersection" (the furnace) and taking an exit to the kitchen, bathroom, or where ever. I have never seen this discussed before. Am I out to lunch on this or not? I cannot find the location of the vent or vents that supplies heat to the tanks to inspect this. Every other point of entry I can find seems to be well sealed. The deterrents that every one mentions do not seem to work as once they are in the coach, they are in. The first year they ate the Irish Spring and I think they used the dryer sheets as blankets! Any help will be appreciated.
MGM in YYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2019, 02:43 PM   #2

They can be very harmful. They ruined my converter in a previous motor home.

If you do not have pets put poison blocks in the storage compartments and under the sinks. I have done it for years and have had no problems.

I also sprinkle snake-away and insect killer around the RV when in storage.
Jimg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 03:15 PM   #3

Rumor has it that they gain access by climbing up one of the tires or the power cable. Some owners have fabricated metal flashing barriers +\- 12Ē high to deny access to the tires. Others have devised plugs that fit snugly around the power cable and seal up the larger opening. Ours is made of plywood and hinges open like a Pac-Man.

Once inside, removal is imperative. Conventional traps, glue traps and poison can be effective. Poison can lead to a dead mouse that is inaccessible. If you put up barriers, set traps on both sides in case they decide to exit the same way they entered.

The average mouse is often more clever than the average college graduate. This is one of lifeís great challenges.
Old 08-07-2019, 08:46 PM   #4

I prefer mechanical methods to keep them out. So far the traps are highly effective once they are in, but to keep them out, that is the goal. It might be too lofty a goal though.
MGM in YYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 03:38 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
I put steel wool around the opening of the sewer hose and have rigged a water hose connection in the bay that doesn't go through that hole. I've also bought and drilled a hole (just the size of the shore power cable) in an access cover for when we're hooked up to shore power.

Having said that, we've had mice in our rig twice in three years. We catch them at my parents house when we visit there for a month or so.

We use the sticky traps to catch them. We pull out drawers and remove access covers to install them in the places they run around in. Mechanical traps don't work because of the tight spaces.

I think mice like to bathe in Irish Spring and then get cozy with dryer sheets.
https://www.nomadsumc.org/
lynch763 is offline   Reply With Quote