Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2014, 05:10 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Microwave and water heater working together?

New to us is a 2003 Southwind 36B. The coach is wired for a washer dryer but storage is much more useful. In the rear of the coach is a switch to turn on the electric for the hot water. But up front by the kitchen there is also a switch to turn on the electric. In addition in the front is a switch which when down says Hot Water and up says Microwave. Next to that switch is another switch which is down Washer/ Dryer and up for Microwave.

My question, is there any way to set these switched so the hot water can be heated by electric and the microwave be used without playing which switch is up or down? Frustrating especially when someone yell the microwave doesn't work!
Wshiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2014, 05:32 AM   #2
Community Administrator

That sounds confusing. I'm guessing you have 30 amp service. Hopefully another member who is familiar with this can assist. If not , try calling FW 800-322-8216. Please update us when you can.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:32 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You do not want to bypass the switch. It is 30 amp service and running both the water heater and Microwave at the same time will be too much amperage draw.

2017 F150 Toad
r2dillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:18 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by r2dillon View Post
You do not want to bypass the switch. It is 30 amp service and running both the water heater and Microwave at the same time will be too much amperage draw.
XX2 Your MH is set up for 30 amp usage only. That's why they set up the switches so you can't run the Microwave and the water heater at the same time which will draw over 30 amps.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:39 PM   #5

I have a 30 amp system with no power management system, PO installed a Hott Rod electric element into the wh. When we get to site, I turn it on. We run the MW with no issues. Run the MW and AC at the same time. May be just lucky. The only time I remember tripping a breaker is when running a toaster and a 1500w heater.

Note: Upon doing some reading, the Hott Rod element only draws about 4 amps which explains why I can run multiple devices.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 04:28 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I did call Fleetwood yesterday and they said it was because the 30 amp service. But they also set me a wiring diagram for the coach in case I did want to change the switches so the the washer/dryer is eliminated and the water heater and micro wave might run at same time. I have check d the water heater and it draw 1400 watts so I will be tracking down the microwave today. If over the limit of course they would need to stay on their own.

My galley partner will just need to play with switches when she wants to use the microwave for now. Thanks
Wshiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 04:30 AM   #7
Community Administrator

Thanks for the update. Glad that FW was helpful. They usually are.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, water, water heater