Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2020, 08:00 PM   #1

American Coach Owners Club
Microwave/Convection oven replacement

anyone replace their sharp microwave/convection oven with another microwave from home style? Our sharp unit has a tendency to overload my system and trip the breaker more than I like. Just wondering if it is possible to replace it from say home depot etc, and just microwave not the combo unit, and is it harder than mounting a home over the counter type. I am not able to afford the actual replacement model, but that is beside the point.

any way, thanks for any input, it is so much appreciated. I have experience with building cabinetry and the microwave when I remodeled my 1900's house so I am hoping this is the same procedure.

thanks all.
nukid68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2020, 07:13 AM   #2

Absolutely, people do it all the time. The Sharp may have removable trim pieces that can be attached to the replacement unit for a seamless look. Or just trim it out with wood molding.

Good luck!
steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 07:18 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukid68 View Post
anyone replace their sharp microwave/convection oven with another microwave from home style? Our sharp unit has a tendency to overload my system and trip the breaker more than I like. Just wondering if it is possible to replace it from say home depot etc, and just microwave not the combo unit, and is it harder than mounting a home over the counter type. I am not able to afford the actual replacement model, but that is beside the point.

any way, thanks for any input, it is so much appreciated. I have experience with building cabinetry and the microwave when I remodeled my 1900's house so I am hoping this is the same procedure.

thanks all.
Might look st the breaker - - Lot cheaper than a New unit. Being 20+ years old and bouncing around a lot can cause a problem at times.

Just a Thought.
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 07:52 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Might look st the breaker - - Lot cheaper than a New unit. Being 20+ years old and bouncing around a lot can cause a problem at times.

Just a Thought.
guess I forgot to mention the breaker was the one on the inverter/charger unit. hmm, still something to look at. Thanks.
Old 03-21-2020, 07:57 AM   #5

Curious what is the wattage capacity of your inverter?... And your microwave?... My bet is a convection oven (which runs at the same high wattage for longer periods of time than a microwave) will only give you more breaker problems...
Old 03-21-2020, 08:09 AM   #6

Yes, you have to look at the power being used by any appliance. Getting a replacement microwave that uses the same amount of power will not change the situation.

Are you boondocking that you have to use the inverter or can you plug into a regular AC outlet?
OldWEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 08:25 AM   #7

I replaced a huge 2000 model year microwave with a Wal-Mart $80 one.
The RV had a gas oven.

I took the metal face plate off and installed it on a shelf I built in the cabinet. That left me more storage under and beside it.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 08:52 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
As noted above, I'd check the entire electrical system in the coach, and if in a CG, their power system, before buying a new M/W. The M/W might not be the problem. I routinely run my M/W Convection on the inverter without problems.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 08:58 AM   #9

I have a 2000 inverter/charger and I am plugged into 50 amp service. But still the white button on the inverter trips at times. sometimes the flashing light stays green but occasional goes red. and at times it just plain trips.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200222_104330.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	218.4 KB
ID:	278600  
Old 03-21-2020, 09:07 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
If the microwave is getting old the Magnatron tube could be going out and using more power/amps.

1st thing I recommend is the check the draw on the microwave.....this can be done with a Kill-O-Watt meter (about $15) very easily as I'm guessing this is a likely cause of your issue.

If so the easiest replacement is the same Sharp unit as that unit would allow you to use the existing backplate and it can be as easy as 2 screws from the underside of the unit.

First thing is to make sure you don't have a unit or inverter issue which you should be easy to troubleshoot with the meter.

Good luck!
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 09:32 AM   #11

i need to learn how to check power drain then. I have a multi-meter.
Old 03-21-2020, 09:37 AM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
i need to learn how to check power drain then. I have a multi-meter.
The Kill-o-watt will plug in between the outlet and the microwave plug and give you specific draws....well worth the $15
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 12:26 PM   #13

Quote:
I have a 2000 inverter/charger and I am plugged into 50 amp service. But still the white button on the inverter trips at times. sometimes the flashing light stays green but occasional goes red. and at times it just plain trips.
Sorry I was not clear, can you just plug the microwave into a regular outlet, that is, NOT through the inverter? Or is the whole coach supplied through the inverter?
I was looking at the Tripp-Lite inverters and they have either one or two AC outputs, with one or two white push button breakers. Which is yours?
OldWEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 12:42 PM   #14

I was thinking of doing this and replacing the current microwave, toaster oven etc.
It requires more clearance than I could give it. 8" Min top, 3" sides and 6" to the rear. They do give off some serious heat on convection settings.
Conesus1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, microwave, replace, replacement