Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2016, 10:21 AM   #57

Fleetwood Owners Club
Alright!!

Mike is in.....that makes 6!!

Let's Keep This Going!!!
Craig N Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2016, 07:06 PM   #58

Fleetwood Owners Club
I really wish my practice would give me the time to go to this, would love to meet you guys! But UIL just too far to travel, so will have to suffice with fun thoughts for your w'end-or I could send a cardboard cut out I guess?

Remember, without PIC's...it didn't happen!
Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 07:39 AM   #59

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Well Brian we will have to send you pictures, I understand from BC it a distance and would require lot of time off. I'm from NB myself and making a 5 weeks 5000 miles trip out off it, Springfield ID it just about half way into the trip.
JoeMoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 07:58 AM   #60

Fleetwood Owners Club
The coach has worked well except for the initial debugging after sitting for a couple of months with inactivity. We have really enjoyed the coach... One issue arose on our ride over to Orange Beach. I received a check engine light and then low coolant. The coach slowed to 40 miles an hour I was able to get it off the road and then it shut down. Went back to check the level in the surge tank .... not the easiest thing to see... Was low but visible. There was absolutely no indication on the temperature gauge for either the engine or the transmission of problem. Got back in the coach started it up ...no warnings. Went a 150 miles without incident. Finding the right antifreeze, at least locally, has proven a challenge. But a "coach" neighbor just gave me a gallon of Rotella extended life which should do the job.

Call the double j yesterday. Got an answering machine and have not heard back from them yet. but hopefully we'll get ourselves all settled up for the weekend today. looking forward to meeting all of you.

Mike Scully
mscully103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 08:20 AM   #61

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Hi Mike, with the newer Diesel Engine Computer System, as soon you go Low Coolant or Low Oil the Computer will put the Engine in Deregulation Mode where you lose 50 % power and drop RPM to about 1500. Use only Red Antifreeze Long Life, Green antifreeze do not mix well with Red Long Life Antifreeze. If Antifreeze level got low, you should check for any visible leak. Check all hoses and clamps, check all around Rad and underneath Rad, check all water heater system that hook to the engine. One more thing to check went engine is cool, Check engine oil if over Full make, also went you pull the oil stick out, before wiping off, look for water bubble on stick, hope you don't see anything, but you need to know where the Antifreeze went. Let us know what you find.
Old 02-23-2016, 11:27 AM   #62

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks!...checked hose and clamps...no leaks. so I am thinking just normal loss. I did read up on the antifreeze to use and The Rotella Extended Life(pink/red) is OK but I am picking up a Gallon of Peak Fleet Charge SCA Precharged - Fully Formulated antifreeze - available at Tractor Supply $15.99 - just FYI. Will mix with 50% water - It was an education on understanding why you needed certain antifreeze for Diesel engines.

Liz called me back and we are booked for the Double J.

Mike
Old 02-23-2016, 01:48 PM   #63

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Mike you can buy that antifreeze already Pre-Mix, so went you do buy it, make sure it not already deluded before you add more water to it. Now coming back to your Antifreeze ( normal loss ) that not a term I would use lightly, because of it component, antifreeze do not evaporate as water would. So if your engine was service
last year went you took position of it, normally antifreeze should have been check?
If it did there no way with the limited mileages you did since then that the antifreeze level drop below sensor reading without any leak somewhere. So I would keep a eye on it if I was you. It could just be what we call a Cool Leak and some time they are hard to find. What we mean by a cool leak, went the engine get to operating temperature and your running down the highway, the hose get hot and pressure in the hose will rise to about 7 pd which will swell the hoses and put that pressure on the hose clamp which is normal operation. However went you shut down your engine ( which you should always idle down for at less 5 to 10 Minuit to allow Turbo and engine to cool down a bit before shutting down ) and antifreeze cool down, the pressure on the hose clamp will release and some time might get a little lose and will allow antifreeze to leak down. I have seen this many time in our Truck Repair Shop, even more on newer RV's and Trucks then the older one. Just keep a eye on it for now and went we get to the Double J, I will craw under and I take a look if you like. That what I did for 40 years, own and operate a Diesel Truck & RV repair shop.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:29 AM   #64

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for the info....I always idle for 15 minutes or longer before shutting down...not many trips on this coach but my last coach we had for 3 years...will look carefully at connections again though no leaks so far. I have marked the surge tank to make it easier to see level. I had the coach serviced at calling world in New Port Richey (big mistake) I can tell yo for a fact they never checked the level...though they claimed to have done it under some good sam deal...trust me never happened. I have checked the oil fire possible issues and I did ask the mechanic who did the oil change if they saw any issues though at that time I had no reason to suspect a coolant level problem. Took a little less than a gallon to bring it up to between min and max cold level.

In any event will keep an eye on it as you suggest and see you at the Double J
Old 02-28-2016, 09:14 AM   #65

Fleetwood Owners Club
Joe...I don't want to make this conversation about my problem since the focus is on the spring shakedown...so I will send you a private message...in short...I found a leak...odd though ..first glance it seems to be around the block heater.

Mike
Old 02-28-2016, 01:59 PM   #66

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Hey Mike I don't think Craig going to mind, that one off the things the Shakedown will do, help others find there problems and try to find the proper fix. Glad you found your leak, have you check if the block heat still tight in the block? I would get that look at before you leave Florida, if that would ever come off, it would drain you rad. Don't want to scare you but better be sure then sorry on the side of the highway.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:21 AM   #67

Fleetwood Owners Club
After much research, found the antifreeze I needed - fully formulated antifreeze - designed for wet sleeve cylinders. found the marks I needed to gauge level on the surge tank - though hidden because of a barrier. Took a little less then a gallon to bring the surge tank to just above the low coolant level. It was difficult as on my coach, the fill cap is hard to get at. I did spill a bit while filling (that may be important later in the story.)

The next day after filling the tank I turned on the block heater - no real reason to do that temp was 39 so more to see it work then anything else.
Later that evening I noticed a small amount of antifreeze under the engine. got under the coach, difficult to see where it was coming from as there was no steady drip and it seemed to run along the edge of the oil pan before dropping where it did. Cleaned it up - paper towel - and started the engine - thought I might see more once the coolant was hot and under pressure. Actually the opposite occurred. Coolant I could see on the block while not running, dried - everything looked good. Chalked it up to spillage - see above.

Once again I turned on the block heater that night - again just education.

The next day more liquid on the ground...not much...4 maybe 5 tablespoons. I can get a good view of the engine block coming in from the rear side bay... I saw wet on the side of the engine block...reached in looking for a hose or loose connection...engine had not been started since the day before. Touched an area I though might be the source of the leak...burned my finger slightly - uhhuh!!! Block heater. I know that the block heater actually heats up the coolant so my working theory was that due to different metals, the expansion rate my be different...heater heats up expands and cools faster than the more massive engine block and the leak happens. Thus my comment previous posted about the possible block heater being the root cause.

We were on our way to Hilton Head with a stop in Lake City, FL. Decided to make the drive - a true test - but keep my eye on levels and temps. after three hours - - uneventful trip, The next morning looked under the coach - no leakage - very, very slight wetness on the block below what I believe is the block heater. Level in tank was perfect - no temp increase at all during trip. Drove to HH. Next morning - completely dry no wetness on block - no drips of any kind under coach...block heater on did not make a difference.

New working theory - the sloppy fill was the cause of the initial leakage on the ground. I probably spilled a cup or two before getting a better approach - but I never saw that spillage on the ground after filling - nor did I think about where it went.

So, does not account for the initial low coolant in the surge tank but, had Camping World checked it as they were suppose too, - there is no way I lost a gallon in the few weeks since they serviced the coach particularly since the coach sat basically idle for over a month with not a sign of leakage under the coach or in the oil. I will continue to monitor the levels but for now I am a happy camper.
Old 03-05-2016, 11:32 AM   #68

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Last night I have talk to Craig asking him if I could help promote his idea of a Spring Shakedown at the Double J by Springfield IL on April 29/30 and May 1. What I was suggesting to do was a live Forum on Saturday April 30. Most of us are from different path of life and are either Retired, Semi Retired, Soon to be Retired, Still working but would like to be Retired ( Hang In There, Your Time Will Come ) but all have one thing in comment which is RVing. Also through out our work life we all acquired certain expertize regarding our RV, some off us are Mechanics, Carpenters, Electricians, Lawyers, Doctors, Farmers, ( Thanks to our Farmers, we all have to eat ) Business people or any other type off work that provide us with knowledge that we use in our every days RV life. However none of us have all the answers and at one time or another we at looking for certain answers regarding that it be Mechanical Issues, Repair Issues, Upgrade, Modification or any type of Issues that arise went having a RV. But all of us together could answer most of those question that we have and that why IRV2 Forum was created. Now to push that a bit farer and do a live Forum where you with you RV could get a direct answer to those specific questions.

Come and join us on April 29 at the Double J by making a simple Reservation and there no upfront Fee to do so. It will be a Fun weekend and one not to miss. So like the old Slogan ( Why Wait For Spring, Do it Now ) Call the Double J at (217) 483-9998 and join us for a weekend that will surely expend your RV knowledge.
Old 03-11-2016, 08:51 PM   #69

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Another 7 week and we will be in Springfield Double J for the Midwest Spring Shake Down, April 29, 30 and May 1. We are planning a great weekend and hope your doing your Reservation, it cost nothing to do so, Call (217) 483-9998 Plus tell them
your with the IRV2 group for the weekend discount.
Old 03-13-2016, 08:32 AM   #70

Fleetwood Owners Club
Good Morning All,
Today I made the decision to open this trip up to other types of campers and make it a little more broad at MoeJoe's request.
I have added a thread in the events forum to invite other IRV2 campers that may have an interest in our event because....let's face it, if you are a camper and an IRV2 member why not come out and have some fun!
So, invite your friends and lets make this a great event!!
Craig N Deb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fleetwood, rvs