RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2020, 01:25 PM   #1

More usable space in the AV closet!

I've been frustrated by the cluster that is the closet behind the bedroom TV. It's a big space but with no shelves and AV boxes everywhere, a lot of that space is wasted.

I really don't have the skills that a lot of people have so building my own shelves was out of the question, not to mention I really don't want to add weight with wood. In searching for lightweight, plastic shelving, I realized that it is impossible to find a single shelf that would work. I did, however, find a shelving unit at Menard's for only about $20 and the dimensions were almost perfect!

This lifts all of my AV equipment far off the floor of the closet, but still with enough room to operate.

Heck, I would have paid way more than $20 for someone to build me a shelf. Plus, I've still got three shelves left to use somewhere else!

EDIT: This is the unit I purchased if you want to see the specs.

https://www.menards.com/main/storage...80-c-12652.htm
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2020, 02:00 PM   #2

Looks like you've recovered a good bit of space, well done! The labels you added to the power supplies and equipment are a nice touch.

With the heat producing stuff now at the top of the cabinet, have you thought about a tiny fan to circulate air? Or perhaps use a hole saw on the shelf to put some ventilation under the 3 stacks of equipment and let convection help?
Old 09-05-2020, 02:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
Looks like you've recovered a good bit of space, well done! The labels you added to the power supplies and equipment are a nice touch.

With the heat producing stuff now at the top of the cabinet, have you thought about a tiny fan to circulate air? Or perhaps use a hole saw on the shelf to put some ventilation under the 3 stacks of equipment and let convection help?
Thanks! I've lost SO many power supplies through the years that this is what I try to do now so when they get separated, I don't have to guess which one goes where!!!

Yes, I am a bit concerned with the heat build-up. I do have a couple of clip-on USB-powered fans that I use when I'm forced to run inside on a treadmill. One of those would work fine. I also have purchased a four-zone thermometer, so I can keep an eye on temps in my two water bays outside during colder weather. I will probably put the fourth one on that shelf just to keep an eye on things for a while!
Old 09-05-2020, 02:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
Thanks! I've lost SO many power supplies through the years that this is what I try to do now so when they get separated, I don't have to guess which one goes where!!!

Yes, I am a bit concerned with the heat build-up. I do have a couple of clip-on USB-powered fans that I use when I'm forced to run inside on a treadmill. One of those would work fine. I also have purchased a four-zone thermometer, so I can keep an eye on temps in my two water bays outside during colder weather. I will probably put the fourth one on that shelf just to keep an eye on things for a while!
Perfect!

Good luck and safe travels always.

Tags
ace