RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2019, 04:53 PM   #1

Motion sense awning retract

2019 Bounder 35K. Bounder/Southwinds in prior years came with a wind sensitivity setting so the awning would retract on its own if it became to windy. When I bought mine the dealer said the setting is now set from the manufacturer and no longer adjustable. I had a pretty good sudden wind gust that lasted for about a minute, the awning should have retracted but it didnít. Wondering if it even has this feature, manual doesnít mention it, Fleetwoodís manuals donít seem to updated much in the last 8-10 yrs.

Anyone know if the awning has the auto retract feature built in and if so how much wind or awning movement does it take to activate?

Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2019, 05:27 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Do you see a sensor on the roof or anywhere?
Failure to plan on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 06:23 PM   #3

My wind sensor is in the end of the extended awning. Just take a broom and flop the outer edge of the awning and away it goes, very slowly.
Out in AZ last year, a Dutch Star with the newer single arm awnings had his out when a sudden wind came up. Wrapped both awnings up over the top of the coach before they could retract.
Old 08-27-2019, 06:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by alank View Post
My wind sensor is in the end of the extended awning. Just take a broom and flop the outer edge of the awning and away it goes, very slowly.
Out in AZ last year, a Dutch Star with the newer single arm awnings had his out when a sudden wind came up. Wrapped both awnings up over the top of the coach before they could retract.
Can you see it? I looked at both ends and donít see anything that looks like a sensor. Is yours on the front or rear?
Old 08-27-2019, 09:37 PM   #5

If you have a Dometic awning, the wind sensor would be mounted on one arm where it connects to the roller tube, and would look like this:

Old 08-28-2019, 05:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple H View Post
2019 Bounder 35K. Bounder/Southwinds in prior years came with a wind sensitivity setting so the awning would retract on its own if it became to windy. When I bought mine the dealer said the setting is now set from the manufacturer and no longer adjustable. I had a pretty good sudden wind gust that lasted for about a minute, the awning should have retracted but it didnít. Wondering if it even has this feature, manual doesnít mention it, Fleetwoodís manuals donít seem to updated much in the last 8-10 yrs.

Anyone know if the awning has the auto retract feature built in and if so how much wind or awning movement does it take to activate?

Thanks!
I have a 2018 35K and it will retract automatically. Not sure what the wind speed is but it takes a pretty good gust.
MHandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 07:11 PM   #7

We have a 2015 Excursion 33D and our wind sensor is adjustable, but it has never retracted due to wind. It does however ofter retract in direct sunlight and at night when the temperature falls into the 40s or 30s. Itís pretty much useless and we often turn it off on hot sunny days.
hdfxrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 12:57 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdfxrs View Post
We have a 2015 Excursion 33D and our wind sensor is adjustable, but it has never retracted due to wind. It does however ofter retract in direct sunlight and at night when the temperature falls into the 40s or 30s. Itís pretty much useless and we often turn it off on hot sunny days.
Sounds like my 2014 Bounder. There's a gremlin in there somewhere. I have the Dometic system.
DurangoNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 02:43 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
If there is a gentle breeze, that gradually gets stronger, and the sensor brings in the awning that's fine. However, the problem with those wind sensors is when you are in an area with gusty winds or unforecast strong winds, by the time they sense the wind and start bringing in the awning...it's way too late, your awning might be on the other side of the coach, or totally gone.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 09:34 AM   #10
CLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple H View Post

Thanks!
The sensor you are referring to is a bounce sensor. When the wind starts bouncing the awning up and down then it will retract.
BOA #6616 Sunshine Roos
CLR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning