Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2022, 07:19 AM   #1

Motorhome won’t start no power

Hello
I stored our motorhome for first time in 6 years. We had been full timers and quit. Anyway, when I stored it hit battery disconnect and turned off our inverter.
We have 2005 Fleetwood Revolution Freightliner chassis. went to take it to get some work done on it and it would not start at all no dash lights no nothing.
I used battery boost and dash lights came on but not enough to get it to start. I was able to start generator. Any thoughts. Much appreciated
I’m not mechanical at all. Don’t know who to call for this.thank you
BINGHAMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2022, 07:26 AM   #2

Sounds like your chassis battery is dead. Not your House batteries. I'm not an expert at this stuff either but that's probably the first thing I would do is replace that or charge it if you can. Or jumping it with another vehicle and jumper cables and if it starts - let it run for awhile, letting it charge
WeRMarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 07:26 AM   #3

If the house battery bank was not too depleted, your inverter/charger will charge that bank when the generator is on. But, if battery voltage too low, it will not.

SO, what is house bank battery voltage? If you have a remote panel for the inverter/charger, what is voltage and amp charge when generator is running.

There ARE "work arounds" if house bank voltage is too low for inverter/charger to charge them.

If you get the house bank charged, likely the boost switch will provide enough power to start the engine.
Old 04-15-2022, 07:39 AM   #4

Thank you . What could have caused the engine battery to die?
Old 04-15-2022, 07:43 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I used to think the house and chassis batteries were both charging when it was plugged in, but on our Journey, they are not. Every month or so I put the trickle charger on the Chassis battery to peak it up, so put a charger on it overnight and see if that works.

Works for me.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 07:44 AM   #6

We are not at the MH now….we’re were with it earlier to take it for a muffler repair and it wouldn’t start. We’re going back and will start the generator to build the coach batteries up….then will see if that will start the engine by using the battery boost.
Old 04-15-2022, 07:46 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BINGHAMD View Post
Thank you . What could have caused the engine battery to die?
Even though you turned the battery switch off there are still small draws on the batteries. For instance, the computer chips that are hot all the time. The only way to prevent this is to disconnect the battery at the post.
Old 04-15-2022, 07:49 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
We’re going back and will start the generator to build the coach batteries up….then will see if that will start the engine by using the battery boost.
Again, I'm not sure the chassis battery is charged even with the genset running.

I purchased one of those small lithium battery jump starts and it's quite amazing in the power it contains. I charge it up at home and it will jump start my vehicles several times on one charge.
Old 04-15-2022, 07:51 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here's the one I have. I recommend it highly.

https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/noc...Top%20Products
Old 04-15-2022, 08:23 AM   #10

How old are the chassis batteries? You could have a bad cell in one battery which took it and the other battery down.

Also as stated above there are items that are still using a small amount of power. Over time that little bit can drain batteries down.
Old 04-15-2022, 10:14 AM   #11

Spartan Chassis
My 2008 Revolution did the same thing. Both house and chassis batteries went dead in storage. You have to remove the battery cables to prevent this from happening. It should start after you run geny for awhile with the boost switch.
Good luck.
gatorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 11:30 AM   #12

We were able to get it started by jumping it. It’s at the muffler shop now, not sure it got enough charge while driving it there. Monday, we’re taking it to get the batteries tested….hopefully no new batteries needed. But, crisis managed today. The repair shop is very limited on getting the MH in, early in the day, and we work every morning, so today was the day. And, when we figure the battery situation out, we will be disconnecting at battery posts from now on.
Old 04-15-2022, 11:33 AM   #13

Remember, you can not properly load test a battery unless it is fully charged.

Testing one that is not fully charged will give you a false "bad battery".
Old 04-15-2022, 11:35 AM   #14

Quote:
Hello

I stored our motorhome for first time in 6 years. We had been full timers and quit. Anyway, when I stored it hit battery disconnect and turned off our inverter.

We have 2005 Fleetwood Revolution Freightliner chassis. went to take it to get some work done on it and it would not start at all no dash lights no nothing.

I used battery boost and dash lights came on but not enough to get it to start. I was able to start generator. Any thoughts. Much appreciated

I’m not mechanical at all. Don’t know who to call for this.thank you

My Rev also has a battery disconnect in rear engine access for chassis batteries.

Tags
motor, motorhome, no power, power