Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2017, 05:02 AM   #1

Angry Motorhome won't start

Hello......i have a 200 Fleetwood Flair that will not start . Battery was low , so i had my helper put the charger on it , should have checked it as it was hooked up wrong . i hooked it up the right way , but now it just cranks over ,but will not start .......any help on this would be greatly appreciated . Thank you , Bruce
polarisrzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2017, 10:02 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

You didn't mention what chassis your '200 Fleetwood Flair' is on, so specific help is a little hard to give. I'd start by checking each fuse and relay in the chassis electrical system.

Did you try to start it while the charger was hooked up with reverse polarity? Whether ignition was on or off while hooked to the charger might have a lot to do with how much damage was done. You might have blown the ECU or just a fuse, it will take some exploration with a multimeter to figure it out.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:30 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Bruce, Man that's a bummer!!!!!

Bob above is correct. Anytime a battery charger is connected backwards and turned on the damage is done. Exactly what and where is still a guess but the best place to start is here.

We know three things are needed for any internal combustion to start and they are compression, fuel and spark. It's highly unlikely that compression has been effected. It cranks and won't start check so check on the remaining two.

My guess is you won't have spark. I really don't know exactly where I'd check next. I'd check with my sources (friends in the repair industry) and try to find out if any of those guys have experienced the same issue with a battery charger. Determine exactly what was fried and either have that parted checked or replaced.

If the battery charger burned up something that caused your loss of spark it would probably happen the same way most every time. Relying on others experiences can be very helpful.

If you don't know of any folks to call just go to any garage that services the same type of chassis and pose the question to the service manager or ask to speak to their best electrical troubleshooter. More than likely somebody will have experienced a similar situation and can advise. Even if they haven't they should still know the first electronic part that it could have fried.

Do post the fix when you finally find out!!!!

Thanks,
Old 11-01-2017, 01:24 PM   #4

op
Do yourself a favor and look to see if the battery charger has reverse polarity protection. If it does then you can look for things like water in the gas instead of tearing into the coach electronics and wiring.
z3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 01:25 PM   #5

Opps
Double posted
z3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 01:45 PM   #6

its a chevy workhorse chassis.....p32
Old 11-02-2017, 02:09 PM   #7

it does have spark ....both at the coil & plugs ......not getting fuel.......ugh
Old 11-02-2017, 02:14 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Squirt some starting fluid in the intake while cranking and see if it attempts to start...
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 07:43 AM   #9

ok.......a squirt of starter fluid & it started ......after we jumped # 4 relayso that says its not getting fuel.....after more trouble shooting found #4 fuel pump relay not getting power . not getting power from PCM on the dark green/white wire which gives the relay power ......is the PCM fused internally , or do i just replace it ....?????is there other ones that will interchange with it from another truck .....thank you , Bruce
Old 11-07-2017, 08:14 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
OPS SORRY ---- THIS DIAGRAM IS FOR AN F53 NOT THE WORKHORSE..

I don't know anything about the workhorse.. But if its starting with starter fluid, and it runs if you jumper across the fuel pump relay. Thats a good sign.. (I think)

This drawing is for a 2001 F53, should be close to yours.

Check the three fuses I have circled...

You should have 12 volts on pin 3 of the Fuel Pump (FP) relay #E (from the 20amp fuse)

With the ignition ON, you should have 12 volts on pin 1 of the FP relay (from 15 amp fuse #5). The ECM supplies a ground to pin 2 of the relay to energize it.

When energized, The FP relay supplies 12 volts out the "D" triangle. This goes through the Inertia switch (not shown) and to the pump. The Inertia safety switch is located directly above the gas pedal. Press the RESET button to make sure its OK.

Also try swapping the FP relay with another relay..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FuelPump.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	189.0 KB
ID:	182247  
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:51 AM   #11

thank you & i will be sure to check these out ....Thank you , Bruce

Tags
motorhome