Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2018, 08:35 AM   #1

Mounting a Winegard Travlr - Southwind

Thinking about removing the dome antenna and installing a Travlr. Has anyone done this and if so did you mount it directly on the roof or use the optional reinforcing plate?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2018, 08:40 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Mounting a Winegard Travlr - Southwind

I did that and did use the mounting plate for a couple reasons. One to cover up old holes and provide a place for the roller to ride when the Dish retracts. Also adds some rigidity to the overall mounting.

Added couple pics.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2650.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	292.5 KB
ID:	207454
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2651.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	270.9 KB
ID:	207455
Old 06-17-2018, 08:48 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
I did that and did use the mounting plate for a couple reasons. One to cover up old holes and provide a place for the roller to ride when the Dish retracts. Also adds some rigidity to the overall mounting.
I was wondering about the roller landing. It wasn't clear in the Winegard docs if the reinforcing plate provided that or if you still needed the separate landing plate they offer. Thanks for clarifying.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:49 AM   #4

We didn't use the reinforcement plate on the Travel Supreme trailer nor the Bounder. The trailer was a replacement so I sealed all the old holes before putting the Trav'ler down.

You seal the whole rim of the Trav'ler and the 22 screws into the roof which a very secure install.

For where the roller of the folded dish lands, I put a piece of Eternabond tape. It is replaceable but for the trailer, after 8 years, there hasn't been a reason to.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 07:11 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just a suggestion...if you have decided to install an auto dish and plan to keep the coach for several years, consider the RF Mogul Eagle as an alternative to the Traveler. The RF Mogul is better, IMO, in several ways. It is more sturdily built, is lighter in weight, is easy to install, and is completely field serviceable. All of the controls, unlike the Traveler, are contained in the controller box that is inside your coach, so none of the critical electronics are exposed to potential water leaks. The RF Mogul may be a bit more expensive but it is worth it.

Their website will let you locate a dealer in your area.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:25 AM   #6

I've had the Roadtrip Mission and now the Traveler and I by far prefer the Roadtrip (Domed). The Travelers are carrier specific that is to go from Direct to Dish requires a converter kit that costs hundreds of dollars. It is quite common for folks to pack up head down the road and forget to retract the Traveler. Switching carriers with the Roadtrip only requires setting some jumpers under the dome. The Traveler will connect to all three satellites at the same time so once it erects itself it just sits there as the Roadtrip will switch satellites under the dome as required and makes some noise when it does so. The only advantage the Traveler has over the Roadtrip is the ability to run two receivers at the same time and having both receivers' able to get use whatever satellite they need. With the Roadtrip one of the receivers' will me the master and override the other. At least in my experience the Roadtrips have been more reliable never had an issue with them , can't say the same for the Traveler.
Lastly if in motion reception is on your agenda the Domed are the only option.

I have had the Traveler fail in the extended position requiring getting up on the roof with some tools to manually retract the antenna with a ratchet wrench before we could move the coach.

As we left the FMCA rally in Indy last year the parking lot workers told me they had to stop three coaches that morning that were trying to head down the road with their satellite antennas extended. I am unaware of any safety interlock device that will automatically retract the antenna.
z3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 07:56 AM   #7
YC1

I replaced my KVH dome about 6 years ago with the Travler on Direct Tv. It was a simple install with the only difficulty being the control cable route.

I did not install any landing plate for the dish when retracted. No issues with our fiberglass roof at all.

As for leaving it up a good check list should circumvent that problem but I took mine a step further and paralleled my Otar antenna up alarm.

I believe there is a kit available for the dish to setup your own alarm.

We have been full timing for five years and the install has held up perfectly. The only problems have been the occasional tree blockage.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:09 AM   #8

Thanks for all the feedback. Just an FYI there was a cable that you can add that automatically stows the Travlr. It appears to be discontinued but not sure why. Here's a link: https://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=cl-sk34
Old 06-18-2018, 10:32 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Mine was already installed by prior owner. Fiberglass roof (over plywood) no plate just screwed and dicor all around.
No plate for the roller as the dish folds down on the roof. No wear on the roof at the roller contact point . Almost 4 years 60-70 up and down cycles per year. Unless your roof is not walkable or particularly flimsy don’t overthink. Dicor , screw more dicor . Done , no leaks and is very sturdy.
Re the rest mentioned, the direct model can be converted to dish but a dish model can’t be converted to direct. Cost is about 300
The Winegard has worked flawlessly but I know some have had problems and it seems they require you ship it back.
I have left mine up twice by accident early on .. warned by others still in park. The last 3 years the DW and I have a departure routine we don’t deviate from requiring we each check the others work or we don’t move .. no problem since.
I would consider a RF mogul if my traveler failed, but I’d also consider a portable with a locking roof mount. Normally mounted on roof but removable to use as a portable. You could use two , one for front and another for the rear TVs for much less than the cost of a traveler. One factor is I use Dish so the portable can do HD unlike direct.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
Mine was already installed by prior owner. Fiberglass roof (over plywood) no plate just screwed and dicor all around.
No plate for the roller as the dish folds down on the roof. No wear on the roof at the roller contact point . Almost 4 years 60-70 up and down cycles per year. Unless your roof is not walkable or particularly flimsy don’t overthink. Dicor , screw more dicor . Done , no leaks and is very sturdy.
Re the rest mentioned, the direct model can be converted to dish but a dish model can’t be converted to direct. Cost is about 300
The Winegard has worked flawlessly but I know some have had problems and it seems they require you ship it back.
I have left mine up twice by accident early on .. warned by others still in park. The last 3 years the DW and I have a departure routine we don’t deviate from requiring we each check the others work or we don’t move .. no problem since.
I would consider a RF mogul if my traveler failed, but I’d also consider a portable with a locking roof mount. Normally mounted on roof but removable to use as a portable. You could use two , one for front and another for the rear TVs for much less than the cost of a traveler. One factor is I use Dish so the portable can do HD unlike direct.
Thanks. Been with Dish for 20+ years. Don't anticipate changing especially now that ATT owns Direct so conversion is not a big concern. Already own an older Tailgater for when the trees are in the way. Hate the Roadtrip that came on the MH. Really noisy and have found that I don't leave it on overnight because it will sometimes update it's position in the middle of the night waking everyone in the coach. So that means it has to go through the whole acquisition process every time I power it up.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
No plate for the roller as the dish folds down on the roof. No wear on the roof at the roller contact point .
As I was reviewing the installation videos for the RF Mogul, I observed a small but important difference between the Eagle and the Trav'ler. The Trav'ler has a roller that touches the roof as the dish is folded. I put a piece of Eternabond under that roller and in 8 years I have not observed any wear from the roller.

The Eagle uses sheet metal skid plates to protect the LNBF head which do contact the roof. Some sort of wear plate is needed under those skid plates.

Just one of those items that makes the Trav'ler 10 pounds heavier than the Eagle and that is not from lead ballast.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
southwind