Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2020, 07:54 PM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
It looks like you are buying from General. My advise make sure everything is good before you leave. Check for water leaks at the toilets . Make sure awning works, AC works good and just check everything. I bought the one I have now and it was in their shop for 6 months of the first year.
darbyjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2020, 07:54 PM   #16

Before spending money on expansive add-ons, take it to reputable alignment shop and have it aligned. And then add a tire pressure monitoring system. Between that and replacing your tires before they're aged out, the likelihood of a blowout is unlikely
pdeinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 08:04 PM   #17

Thank you guys. Yeah I already told my family to expect to spend all day there doing the inspections and everything. It’s going to be a long day there testing everything out. And yeah, my worst fear is the front tire blowout. I like the idea of the tire pressure gauge. I will definitely write that down to add. Thank you
Miamicamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 09:22 PM   #18

It would be a good idea to spend a couple nights at a nearby campground to test out all the systems. Then you can have it dealt with at the dealer. It looks like a very nice unit. You'll have fun with it!! Enjoy!!!

We bought ours and never returned to the selling dealer. While there have them give you the name of the closest dealer near you that you can take for any issues.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 10:00 PM   #19
NXR

There’s something wrong with the specs in that link. It lists a gross weight of 24,000 but with a 15,000 rear axle and an 8,000 front axle. There’s a thousand pounds missing somewhere.

I’d go to the manufacturer and double check the specs.

Get General RV to take a picture of the weight placards and email them to you. Then post them here.

An 8,000 pound hitch also seems way high for the Ford F53 chassis. Usually they are 5,000 to 6,000 pound hitches.

We spent three days at the dealer going over our new motor home when it was delivered, testing and checking. If you can afford that time, do it.

Ray
Old 03-06-2020, 10:09 PM   #20

Used

Check the actual markings on the batteries too. They may already be over one year old. Tell them in that case that you want currently dated batteries installed. It will be worth it to you.
Old 03-06-2020, 10:38 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
There’s something wrong with the specs in that link. It lists a gross weight of 24,000 but with a 15,000 rear axle and an 8,000 front axle. There’s a thousand pounds missing somewhere.

I’d go to the manufacturer and double check the specs.

Get General RV to take a picture of the weight placards and email them to you. Then post them here.

An 8,000 pound hitch also seems way high for the Ford F53 chassis. Usually they are 5,000 to 6,000 pound hitches.

We spent three days at the dealer going over our new motor home when it was delivered, testing and checking. If you can afford that time, do it.

Ray
Oh wow, thank you for that. I sure will
Old 03-06-2020, 10:38 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl II View Post
Check the actual markings on the batteries too. They may already be over one year old. Tell them in that case that you want currently dated batteries installed. It will be worth it to you.
Ahhh, very smart. Will do! Thank you!
Old 03-07-2020, 05:46 AM   #23

Good Morning Miami.....Just wanted to point out a couple of things regarding your new motorhome. First of all, don't panic. Nice rig! This motorhome has a 24000 lb chassis and, according to Fleetwood, 8000 lb towing capacity. You will want to verify this when you drive up to Jacksonville to pick it up. Second, the General RV ad is probably typed up using a template and it is easy to make mistakes or forget to change numbers in the template. If you want real specs, go to the Fleetwood website. Third, if General RV says this is used, it is used. Used in Florida just means that it has been titled. My wife and I bought a "used" Newmar Baystar a few years back and the owners had driven it approx 500 miles before deciding that they did not like the fact that it had one A/C. Make sure that you go over this thing with a fine tooth comb and ask plenty of questions (any water leaks, is this a repo, why did the previous owner get rid of it.....you know). By the way, it is 952 miles from Decatur, Indiana to Jacksonville. So, assuming that this was not sitting at another dealership in route (maybe even a General RV store somewhere else), it could very easily be lightly used. By the way, I would hold off on the Safe T Plus until you drive it, as mentioned above, just based on my personal experience. Beware of marketing and hype.
Jssr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 06:00 AM   #24

You need to check EVERYTHING during your Pre Delivery Inspection. Don't sign the final paperwork until that is done so they haven't gotten all of their $.
When I say everything I mean everything from every drawer latch, piece of trim inside and out and each and every accessory on the bus. Insist on a reasonable length test drive. Don't short yourself on time and make sure you are familiar with how everything works.
An RV is a complicated piece of machinery. Make sure you are comfortable with it before you depart the dealers lot. You are spending a lot of your hard earned money here and you need to be comfortable with your purchase.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 10:47 PM   #25
NXR

Quote:
First of all, don't panic. Nice rig! This motorhome has a 24000 lb chassis and, according to Fleetwood, 8000 lb towing capacity. You will want to verify this when you drive up to Jacksonville to pick it up.
What John wrote is why you must see the weight placards. The 24,000 pound GVWR Ford F53 chassis has a GCWR rating of 30,000 pounds.

GCWR minus GVWR is weight that can ONLY be used for towing.

If your placard shows you can only carry 2,000 pounds because your empty weight is 22,000 pounds, for example, and you load it up 2,000 pounds with people, water, fuel and stuff (which is not too hard) then you will be at 24,000 pounds and you can only tow 6,000 pounds no matter if it has an 8,000 hitch or not.

That may or may not be a problem for you.

Ray
Old 03-08-2020, 02:43 PM   #26

Forest River Owners Club
If not too late, negotiate on that 5.5 interest rate. Even if used, and with good credit, you should be able to get a better rate. In 2019 I bought a slightly used 2018 and got 4.5%.
Old 03-08-2020, 04:14 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxB View Post
If not too late, negotiate on that 5.5 interest rate. Even if used, and with good credit, you should be able to get a better rate. In 2019 I bought a slightly used 2018 and got 4.5%.

Yeah I think you're right. I went to lending tree last night online and I was able to get a 4.5% interest rate as well. Thank you for that!

And thank everybody on here who has posted. I go to pick this up next Saturday so I am trying to get all my ducks in a row before I walk in there!
Old 03-29-2020, 03:04 AM   #28

Ford Super Duty Owner
Well I for one am curious how everything went. Did you get all your questions answered? Did you get a lower interest rate? Did they change out the batteries? Why the seemingly low mileage? Why did the previous owner get rid of it? Is it fair to assume with all that is going on that you have not been able to use it?

Anything else you can tell us ?

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a