Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2014, 11:07 PM   #197

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Propane? Mr. Hill, make sure you bring BOBBY
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2014, 11:08 PM   #198

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You should change your handle to Hank Hill
Old 08-15-2014, 08:28 AM   #199

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1408112878.473972.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  53.7 KB

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 09:02 PM   #200

Ford and Fleetwood involved, awesome. Hadn't checked this thread in a while, figured it would be months before you heard anything. I was wrong. Great work!

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 01:40 PM   #201

Tiffin Owners Club
I have owned a 2014 Bounder 35K for a few months. Last night was the first time I drove it in the dark. Awful , dangerous, inadequate, disappointing are a few of the words I used to describe my 10 mile ride.
sharper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:50 PM   #202

My Revolution has Ford Countour headlights. They were OEM'ed TYC brand. I replaced them brand new TYC buckets as they were getting dull (and replacements were cheap). I also bought an HID kit for these buckets. Results are "fine" but not awe inspiring.

My rig has two large fog lights that I am thinking I could retrofit a pair of HID projector buckets into as driving lights. The major manufacturers sell these projectors stand alone and they work well.

Anyways, I digress, just describing the options I am looking at. My headlights arent nearly as bad as Brians, but also not nearly as good as what comes on my new cars with HID.

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:46 PM   #203

Angry 2015 Bounder has horrible headlights

A month ago I bought a 2015 Bounder 33C, on a 2014 F-53 chassis. I just drove it a few hours in the dark -- through mountains -- and the headlights problem was much the same as others have described.

On low beams I could not see reflective road signs or much of the road. On high beams I could see road-side signs when fairly close, but not reflective overhead highway signs. The subjective dimness is difficult to quantify, but the only time I felt the road ahead was illuminated was when cars were next to me or even behind me.

This was a clear night, so I'm very worried about a rainy night, or simply a night when I'm not surrounded by cars. I'm on a month-long trip, and feel that I must try to avoid night driving. This is very disturbing.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:19 PM   #204

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We bought a 2015 Bounder 35K back in July, just returned from a trip to Tulsa, but did not drive at night and only had headlights on during periods of daylight rainstorms. I find this entire thread extremely interesting and will be anxiously awaiting Fleetwood's findings. So far the only major problem with ours is the windshield washer pump has already failed. Don't want to hijack this thread so won't go into detail, but dealer says they have had a rash of failures lately. Hope for a timely resolution for the headlight issue before the 12 Hours of Sebring rolls around next March!
tym4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 10:08 AM   #205

Any updates?

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 10:40 AM   #206

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post
Any updates?

Great timing!

Just received a call from Mr. Heim. Wanted to let me know that they were still waiting on Ford, and that he hadn't forgot about me or the issue. Based on the 60-90 day guesstimate I was given in July I wasn't expecting to hear anything until the end of October.

Brian

Old 09-25-2014, 01:23 PM   #207

I was an over the road trucker for 33 years, and this discussion came up countless times at the truck stops. Most of us hated the European style headlight with the plastic lens. Because of the abrasives of dust and wind, it would develop a haze that couldn't be seen by looking at the lens, but it was clearly visible in distance and clarity. Most of us opted for the round or square glass faced headlights. Another problem we discovered was headlights set back in the grille or bezel were limited to a strict focal point or straight down the road. It made it difficult to read side of the road and overhead signs. Those of you in their 50's and 60's will remember the old cars that had the headlights out at the outer edge of the fender, and back then you could read the overhead and road signs easily. Also, you could see a curve in the road long before you got to it. It's been said a few times in this thread about wiring, and I agree with them. Having a half dozen connection points with 16 or 18 gauge wire is not a good thing. Can you say corrosion and line loss? You'd be surprised at the difference a half a volt makes in distance and clarity. Most of you are using an inexpensive hand held volt meter to check your wiring. Sure, it works. But it's not precise. That 12 volt reading could be somewhere between 11.5 and 12.5. You can take your RV to a shop to test it, and he won't unplug his $250 precision meter from his bench out to your RV. He'll grab a hand held instead, watch the needle jump up to around 12 volts, then tell you everything is fine. A lot of us truckers would run a heavy 14 gauge wire from the battery, to relays (low and high), to the headlights. The wires that went to the headlights were used to trigger the relays. This way even if the voltage drops to 10 volts, it'll still trigger the relays, and a full 12 volts from the battery will be at the headlights.
Here's another factor some of us older truckers have noticed. No, you're not loosing your eyesight. The paint on roadsigns have changed. Years ago, roadsigns were painted a flat green and the lettering was luminous white. Any light on them and they would be clear and bright. They even shone with ambient light from the moon. Some even had a tinge of yellow and you could read them in a slight fog or a snow storm. Today the signs are painted in a gloss green background, and the lettering is a flat white. Your lights hit it at a distance and the shiny background can wash out the lettering, until your right up on it.
So, in ending, here's something to think about. Those fancy smancy lights you got on your RV look great. But looks and price are what sells RV's. Some manufactures believe the end justifies the means and will opt for quantity over quality and use foreign made products and wires that just barely meet our standards. Most of the accessories you get over the counter or on eBay are Chinese knockoffs. Keep reading, keep researching. The best customer/consumer is an educated customer/consumer
Old 09-25-2014, 09:58 PM   #208

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
another checkpoint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian W View Post
Great timing!

Just received a call from Mr. Heim. Wanted to let me know that they were still waiting on Ford, and that he hadn't forgot about me or the issue. Based on the 60-90 day guesstimate I was given in July I wasn't expecting to hear anything until the end of October.

Brian

Brian,
Given that I should be at Decatur around Oct 27 it might be interesting to see if they have a plan. I'll communicate what happens on here.

They said I'd need to leave it 5 days though. Does that sound right based on your trip?

Bill
Bill & Jenny - 2016 Winnebago Itasca Ellipse 42HD, 43 ft, Cummins 8.9 ISL - Blue Ox and 2018 Jeep Sahara. Once/month traveler in Midwest and (as ofen as possible) Southern US. Home - Nashville, Indiana (Beautiful Brown County)
jwmaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 10:02 PM   #209

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Good summary

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakotaWolf View Post
I was an over the road trucker for 33 years, and this discussion came up countless times at the truck stops. Most of us hated the European style headlight with the plastic lens. Because of the abrasives of dust and wind, it would develop a haze that couldn't be seen by looking at the lens, but it was clearly visible in distance and clarity. Most of us opted for the round or square glass faced headlights. Another problem we discovered was headlights set back in the grille or bezel were limited to a strict focal point or straight down the road. It made it difficult to read side of the road and overhead signs. Those of you in their 50's and 60's will remember the old cars that had the headlights out at the outer edge of the fender, and back then you could read the overhead and road signs easily. Also, you could see a curve in the road long before you got to it. It's been said a few times in this thread about wiring, and I agree with them. Having a half dozen connection points with 16 or 18 gauge wire is not a good thing. Can you say corrosion and line loss? You'd be surprised at the difference a half a volt makes in distance and clarity. Most of you are using an inexpensive hand held volt meter to check your wiring. Sure, it works. But it's not precise. That 12 volt reading could be somewhere between 11.5 and 12.5. You can take your RV to a shop to test it, and he won't unplug his $250 precision meter from his bench out to your RV. He'll grab a hand held instead, watch the needle jump up to around 12 volts, then tell you everything is fine. A lot of us truckers would run a heavy 14 gauge wire from the battery, to relays (low and high), to the headlights. The wires that went to the headlights were used to trigger the relays. This way even if the voltage drops to 10 volts, it'll still trigger the relays, and a full 12 volts from the battery will be at the headlights.
Here's another factor some of us older truckers have noticed. No, you're not loosing your eyesight. The paint on roadsigns have changed. Years ago, roadsigns were painted a flat green and the lettering was luminous white. Any light on them and they would be clear and bright. They even shone with ambient light from the moon. Some even had a tinge of yellow and you could read them in a slight fog or a snow storm. Today the signs are painted in a gloss green background, and the lettering is a flat white. Your lights hit it at a distance and the shiny background can wash out the lettering, until your right up on it.
So, in ending, here's something to think about. Those fancy smancy lights you got on your RV look great. But looks and price are what sells RV's. Some manufactures believe the end justifies the means and will opt for quantity over quality and use foreign made products and wires that just barely meet our standards. Most of the accessories you get over the counter or on eBay are Chinese knockoffs. Keep reading, keep researching. The best customer/consumer is an educated customer/consumer
Looks like you covered things well Lakota. You hit on most things I'd thought of. Yeah I'm over 50 so I know what you mean about the things that were better about headlights in the past. I do appreciate the ease of changing bulbs and new technologies of today .... too bad we can't have the best of both worlds.
Bill & Jenny - 2016 Winnebago Itasca Ellipse 42HD, 43 ft, Cummins 8.9 ISL - Blue Ox and 2018 Jeep Sahara. Once/month traveler in Midwest and (as ofen as possible) Southern US. Home - Nashville, Indiana (Beautiful Brown County)
jwmaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 06:43 AM   #210

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmaustin View Post
Brian,

Given that I should be at Decatur around Oct 27 it might be interesting to see if they have a plan. I'll communicate what happens on here.

They said I'd need to leave it 5 days though. Does that sound right based on your trip?

Bill

Bill,

That sounds about right, especially if the repaint your storage bays. I had a few less issues and it took them 3 days.

Brian

Tags
lights