Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2022, 08:16 PM   #1

Mysterious house battery power draw

Hi, I've got a problem with my 2000 Discovery 34Q DP. For the last 3 years every time we come back from a trip or glamping I have been going through the same ritual. I make sure everything is shut off, and switch the batteries off, turn off the LP sensor, and put on a Battery Tender. This has been working great but lately after a few days my 2 6volt batteries have been going down. Not dead but very low. I've removed them and had them tested and they are good (3 years old). I realize that there are some parasitic things that will still be energized even with the batteries turned off. And I don't know where the 12V fuses are located. If anyone has any info that they could pass on it would be appreciated. I just feel that I'm missing a light or something small. Thanks...
Ezdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2022, 10:29 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Do you have an inverter?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 11:30 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This is where a shunt based amp counting battery monitor or a clamp on ammeter is good to have. Check the draw and isolate circuits till found.

Could be battery issue or aging.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 03:51 AM   #4

Yes I do have an inverter. One of first things I checked to make sure it was turned off at panel and charger. But will check again, just to be sure. Thanks..
Old 06-29-2022, 04:02 AM   #5

Thank you for your reply. I will get a clamp on ammeter and try and track down the problem over the long weekend. I still would like to know the location of the fuse box though.
Old 06-29-2022, 07:05 AM   #6

Getting the current readings will help chase it down. You stated that you had a battery tender on it. Sounds like your load is more than the tender output, or you tender has died.
Old 06-29-2022, 07:49 AM   #7

why not just disconnect the batteries when not in use? much simpler and 100% effective.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 11:21 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezdan View Post
Thank you for your reply. I will get a clamp on ammeter and try and track down the problem over the long weekend. I still would like to know the location of the fuse box though.
Fuse box locations on a Discovery have typically been, behind the dash center console (swings out to access fuses), under the bed at the forward facing wall of the bed pedestal, and in the BCC. The battery control center, has been typically near the inverter.
Old 07-12-2022, 03:12 PM   #9

I put a manual "blade" disconnect on my house batteries so I KNOW they're disconnected
Old 07-13-2022, 04:09 AM   #10

Could be a million things...like a wire has chafed thru and is shorting to ground...or one of the relays in the BCC is stuck closed...or a light in a basement compartment or engine compartment.

Get an amp meter on the batts and see what the draw is...has to be 4-5amps if it's overcoming the tender and going dead in a couple days.

Tags
battery, power