Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2017, 02:20 PM   #1

Mystery 12v/30 amp plug

Can someone please tell me the purpose of the plug (see pic)? The cap says "12v/ 20-30Amp" and except for the orange wire (see pic) which seems to go to the fuse box, the wires connected to the plug join all the rest of the wires disappearing into the wall.
Attached Images

Phaedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2017, 03:08 PM   #2

This is just a shot in the dark guess... so dont take it as fact.. But if i had one i might think it was a combo plug for something that could run either on 12v or 20-30amp

again its just a guess...
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 5.7 HD cooling
Durango Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 03:11 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Just a guess based on blurry photos and the fact that all the electrical tape looks like a previous owner modification. It could be a 12v relay switching a 120v cord. If you disconnect shore cord and see if the gray 'box' unplugs from the plastic connector, it might reveal itself.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 03:43 PM   #4

Since the OP never mentions 120 volts, it's probable a relay for something that draws 20 or 30 amps @12 volt DC.

Many 12 volt relays are rated different for NC and NO.

NC ( normally closed ) contacts can handle more amps then NO ( normally open ) contacts.

Could be slide motor or any high amp item. Unplug it and we what don't work.

Like this one.

Car Truck Auto Automotive DC 12V 20A/30A AMP SPDT Relay Relays 5 Pin 5P
$1.99
Was $2.09
$2.09
+ Free ShippingFree
Attached Images

twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 04:01 PM   #5
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I agree, I do not think 120 volt is involved, I think it is a 12 volt circuit that draws 20-30 amps.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 04:40 PM   #6

12V plugs don't normally carry that mush current. I think the plug is just labeled to let the user know it's rated at 12v and the pins inside the plug are heavy enough to carry a 20 - 30 amp current.
Old 07-01-2017, 05:29 PM   #7

Link | Quote | Edit | Print | Notify Moderator Here's a bit more info: The grey cap on it i says "Bosch 12v/ 20-30Amp" and except for an orange wire which seems to join the wires going to the 12v fuse box (or panel), the wires connected to the plug join all the rest of the RV wires in a large sleeve disappearing into the wall.. The plug has a cap on it and is not plugged in to anything and I don't see an outlet or connector anywhere (panel, inverter etc), and I'm guessing there's a reason the cap is on the plug, whether or not the cap belongs to that plug. I discovered this while trying to trouble shoot a non-functioning monitoring panel on a 2003 Fleetwood Tioga. Yes, I bought it used and yes, I'm a bit of a rookie! I have an inverter, a charger, and an automatic switch.
Old 07-01-2017, 05:46 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
12V plugs don't normally carry that mush current.
Sure they do. How do you think slides go out, hydraulic jacks deploy, etc.? Take a look at the fuse box in any mid-high end diesel coach and you will surely see several fuses rated 20-50 amps. My coach had a whole bank of 50's, but some of them fed sub-panels of 10A & 20A fuses. My car has several 20+A fuses as well.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 06:23 PM   #9

Any newer automobile will have several 40 and up amperage fuses....all 12 volts

Even an older vehicle may have a 30amp fuse for wipers

But to answer the OP, that "cap" looks like a relay.
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 06:35 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
My guess was partly based on the idea that the orange insulated wire wrapped with the electrical tape into the other bundle was an outdoor extension cord perhaps used as 120v wiring. In most RVs with a TV in the sight line of the driver is switched off when the ignition is on. That usually uses a 12v relay to switch a 120v supply to the TV.

On further looks at the photo, perhaps the orange wire is just a larger gauge single conductor wire instead of an outdoor extension cord.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 06:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
Link | Quote | Edit | Print | Notify Moderator Here's a bit more info: The grey cap on it i says "Bosch 12v/ 20-30Amp" and except for an orange wire which seems to join the wires going to the 12v fuse box (or panel), the wires connected to the plug join all the rest of the RV wires in a large sleeve disappearing into the wall.. The plug has a cap on it and is not plugged in to anything and I don't see an outlet or connector anywhere (panel, inverter etc), and I'm guessing there's a reason the cap is on the plug, whether or not the cap belongs to that plug. I discovered this while trying to trouble shoot a non-functioning monitoring panel on a 2003 Fleetwood Tioga. Yes, I bought it used and yes, I'm a bit of a rookie! I have an inverter, a charger, and an automatic switch.
The grey part is a relay, not a cap, and looks like the picture I sent. The black part is the relay connector or plug.

Pull the gray part ( relay ) out of the black connector and you will see 4 or 5 blades.

Bosch makes that style relay for a very large industry. They are in many 12 volt applications, fog lights, head lights, boat autopilots, my Volvo Penta marine engine glow plug circuit.

The large wire coming from the fuse box is most likely the power feed. The other large wire goes to what ever it controls, most likely near by. The smaller wires go to the switch and ground, to control the switching remotely.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 07:12 PM   #12

Diagnosing electrical via photo and dialogue may not be the wisest move
Old 07-01-2017, 07:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The grey part is a relay, not a cap, and looks like the picture I sent. The black part is the relay connector or plug.

Pull the gray part ( relay ) out of the black connector and you will see 4 or 5 blades.

Bosch makes that style relay for a very large industry. They are in many 12 volt applications, fog lights, head lights, boat autopilots, my Volvo Penta marine engine glow plug circuit.

The large wire coming from the fuse box is most likely the power feed. The other large wire goes to what ever it controls, most likely near by. The smaller wires go to the switch and ground, to control the switching remotely.
Yep, what he said...it's a relay. Nothing to see here... . only question is what it controls.
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 07:44 AM   #14

Mystery solved - thanks everyone