Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2013, 08:22 AM   #1

Need Advice, 2013 Fleetwood Expedition

Hello everyone,
My family and I really like this 2013 Expedition. It's has the perfect layout for our needs. However, I have concerns with only 360HP and 800lbs of torque. It comes with a 10,000lbs hitch and my main worry is towing. If I am towing 8-10
thousand pounds, how is this coach going to handle? Sluggish uphill?
Thanks in Advance,
Max
MaxQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2013, 08:29 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
First, welcome to iRV2!

We purchased our 2012 Fleetwood Discovery 36J with an eye toward its having 380 HP and 1050 pound feet of torque. We live in southwest Colorado, and travel the mountain passes frequently. We tow 5000 pounds of GMC Acadia, and don't have a problem. We understand that going up some of the 10,000+ foot passes, we need to take our time. It doesn't handle like our Corvette.

Others will chime in to provide you with more information/opinions. Good luck on your purchase - floor plan is the first consideration.
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:40 AM   #3

American Coach Owners Club
Expedition

Max, I had a 2005 Expedition for five years with a 300 HP Cat and towed a Honda CRV all over the place. No problems at all. However you will have to take control over the shifting if on long up hill climbs. But then again unless you are going to some big horses everyone takes charge of shifting going up long hills, or should.

Remember it's not a race, that coach and that engine will be just fine. If you are trying to race up the hills then go with a 500HP minimum and be ready to feed the horses the hay they need.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:55 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Welcome to irv2.

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:42 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
It will be a challenge with 8 to 10 thousand lbs! That's a big tow. Many others on this forum pull or push with less torque. Allison transmissions are terrific, keep your RPM'S at around 1800 by down shifting. The go will be slow but you will make the climb ok. Remember in most cases the 7 to 8 percent grades are not everyday occurrences unless you live on top of a mountain? IMHO it's going down that is more challenging but you get used to the process very quickly. We just finished a three thousand mile round trip thru the mountains of upstate NY, VT, PA, WV, VA, lot of up and downs! In my case I used my cruise control in the economy mode while climbing and regulated the RPM'S by simply pushing the button to increase the power in small increments. Your "jake brake" ie: compression retarder, or exhaust brake will become your best friend!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:24 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayobx View Post
...IMHO it's going down that is more challenging but you get used to the process very quickly....
Last month we crossed the Rockies and going down was very easy. Used the engine brake (low or high depending on the hill) and I never touched the service brakes.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:27 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxQ View Post
Hello everyone,
My family and I really like this 2013 Expedition. It's has the perfect layout for our needs. However, I have concerns with only 360HP and 800lbs of torque. It comes with a 10,000lbs hitch and my main worry is towing. If I am towing 8-10
thousand pounds, how is this coach going to handle? Sluggish uphill?
Thanks in Advance,
Max
I own a 38s with the cummins isb. I tow a 2500 Yukon XL behind it no issues, it holds speed up hills as well. As others have mentioned adapt your driving style, prepare for grades you'll be fine.
Castlerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:49 PM   #8

Thanks everyone. So what I am hearing, is to take our time when towing. I just don't want to be driving uphill and be at a crawl. One friend told me that the torque is very important. This coach only has 800lbs of torque.
I just don't get why Fleetwood would put such low power engine with low torque in a large coach.
I asked the dealer about it and he said its easy to boost up the HP and torque with a programmer or Banks system. But I don't want to be messing around trying to SUUP up our new $200k rig.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:15 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
When I was looking for a coach I was determined to get a cummins ISL 400+hp 1450 torque and the coach I bought has the ISC 360hp 1050 torque and it is fine, I now realize that I am not always going uphill. A friend of ours has a 40ft discovery with the cummins ISB 350hp with 750 torque and tows a jeep cherokee 4 down and does 40-45 over the grapevine and all i do is 45-50 when towing. Are you really towing 8-10,000lbs ? Or are you just towing a car?
Old 08-04-2013, 10:45 PM   #10

We live in SoCal. Not too many mountains to conquer. However, I worried that when going up hill we'll be going like 25 when all other Semi's are breezing right past us.
we have
5400lb cargo trailer
1500lb Polaris RZR
1425lb Polaris RZR
1000lbs in Dirtbikes
Fuel??
Water??
So I'm already upwards of 8500lbs.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:06 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
It will be a challenge with 8 to 10 thousand lbs! That's a big tow. Many others on this forum pull or push with less torque. Allison transmissions are terrific, keep your RPM'S at around 1800 by down shifting. The go will be slow but you will make the climb ok. Remember in most cases the 7 to 8 percent grades are not everyday occurrences unless you live on top of a mountain? IMHO it's going down that is more challenging but you get used to the process very quickly. We just finished a three thousand mile round trip thru the mountains of upstate NY, VT, PA, WV, VA, lot of up and downs! In my case I used my cruise control in the economy mode while climbing and regulated the RPM'S by simply pushing the button to increase the power in small increments. Your "jake brake" ie: compression retarder, or exhaust brake will become your best friend!
Just what we will love about our 38s and also so a lot of northeast camping
gmasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 01:46 PM   #12

Increasing power?

Quote:
I am confused. My ignorance I am sure but what button are you pushing to incrementally increase power when climbing a hill in your rig?
dfroggatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 05:45 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Smart wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfroggatt View Post
I am confused. My ignorance I am sure but what button are you pushing to incrementally increase power when climbing a hill in your rig?
Your smart wheel has a "resume" setting for increasing your RPM's in two MPH increments. Thats what I use in the cruise mode for climbing. Only problem, if you have a slower truck or RV in front of you and you overtake you'll have to disengage cruise and manually downshift the tranny. I never try to pass on a climb or descent. Better safe. NOTE YMMV depending on your torque to weight ratio. With my ISL and pulling 4K it's not an issue to climb in cruise mode.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 10:02 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have a 2006 38' Expedition with the C7 Caterpillar engine. We tow a 4100 lb. Ford Edge. The first two summers we didn't have any issues towing but this year I started having some engine heating issues on the climbs. I just had the coolant changed and the radiator cleaned and the fan belt, fan and tensioner checked. There appear to be no issues with any of those. Do I just need to downshift and take it slow going up the hills or do I have a problem?
Bucknut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fleetwood, purchase