Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2014, 02:34 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Need advice for son

Son and DIL are looking at 38P(I think) Pace Arrow 2007 pretty decked out . Asked me for advise. But other then normal look and see what's working or not, I can't give him a good rundown since I have an Itasca.
So I'm here looking for anyone who has or had one for some lowdown to pass along. I did tell him about this forum and hopefully he will come here himself.

It is at Camping World and will be replacing original tires along with some other minor fixes.

Thanks
Norm
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2014, 04:16 PM   #2

Be sure he gets all promises of repairs in writing or completed before he signs anything.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:27 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
With camping world (And in fairness to CW most any auto or RV dealer or other big ticket dealer) I have one recommendation.

First: Show up "Wired" have some kind of audio recording device with enough storage to hold at least twice the length of recording as you plan on being there.. Personally I use Sony Mindisc recorders (Basic are good for over an hour, the HD models up to 35 hours in one session) with a stealth mic. But mini cassett or even MP3 (your cell phone?) are good.

When done burn the sales pitch and conferences to CD and store.

GET IT ALL IN WRITING... if it's not in writing the salesman will not remember his promise to you.. (The recording might work to convince a judge but no guarantee) get it all in writing.

Finally: Create a "Highlights" document on your computer. List all the assorted insurances and warranties and other like stuff on same, Failure to do this has cost me money (not much but it has cost)
Old 01-07-2014, 10:37 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
A friend of mine bought a new F-150 truck 2010. They sat in the truck while the salesmen discussed the Sirrus satellite Radio option. If you've seen this in a Ford the button is on all the radio's. I think he told me they devoted about 8-10 minutes to that part of the discussion. They made the deal for the truck and when he went home he spent about 30 minutes trying to activate the satellite radio. He went back to the dealer and was told if it does not have the little black antenna on the right front surface of the roof it does not have a SR. Well it didn't and the dealer did nothing to make it right. The salesmen led him to believe that it was installed. He didn't hear the SR playing because they can't activate it until the truck is sold because that begins the subscription time.

As with all deals like this be careful.

TeJay
Old 01-07-2014, 10:38 AM   #5

I'd find an independent RV repair shop that can do an inspection before you put any money down. Just like you would for an auto pre-purchase inspection. Won't cost that much especially compared to what you could pay to fix things up after the fact. If they won't let you take it away for a bit to do that, don't buy it.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:47 AM   #6

Don't give them the check until all promises are fulfilled! We made the mistake of leaving the dealership (not CW) with a "We Owe" list and our MH has been sitting at their location going on 6 weeks. Of course our coach is already paid for so cash repairs are their top priority. Luckily it's winter otherwise I would be in their face everyday...instead of every three days. Bottom line... in future we will never leave the dealership again until all the sales conditions are met.
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:57 AM   #7

Your Itasca is pretty equivalent to the Pace Arrow, we've had both. Taking plenty of time, check out the frig, frig seals, generator, a/c, heaters, dump valves, etc. All pretty much the same. Have a guy/gal with experience check out the engine. Then as with ALL SALES, whether for a house, car, or RV, and regardless of the promise of the dealer or agent GET IT IN WRITING! Only a written statement saved me when LaMesa tried to back out of a 4 door frig replacement. The written statement and an attorney's involvement was required.
Enjoy and Happy Trails.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:30 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you are asking about people who have owned a Pace Arrow about their experience with the product, I can maybe be of help. I have owned 10 campers. 5 of them have been motorhomes. I set out to get a Pace Arrow this time around. I was a service manager for a Fleetwood dealer. Fleetwood makes one of the best designed and constructed motorhomes. (of course they are far from perfect) They have a high cargo carrying capacity. Mine is over 4 thousand pounds on a 35 ft gas ford chassis. Mine is a 1998 and has been almost trouble free for 7 years. If I trade again, it will probably be for a Pace.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:06 PM   #9

Have them install fresh house batteries. Can save electrical problems down the road. Make sure the battery disconnects work too! They are mounted on the wall next to the slide controls.

Stano
Stano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:18 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Even if it is writing, it could probably be a nightmare trying to get CW to follow through on the promises. That will lead to a lot of frustration, time and perhaps even legal expense. Perhaps he can find the same coach at another location.
Freightliner Chassis, Cummins engine, FMCA #408511
figallegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:19 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
With camping world (And in fairness to CW most any auto or RV dealer or other big ticket dealer) I have one recommendation.

First: Show up "Wired" have some kind of audio recording device with enough storage to hold at least twice the length of recording as you plan on being there.. Personally I use Sony Mindisc recorders (Basic are good for over an hour, the HD models up to 35 hours in one session) with a stealth mic. But mini cassett or even MP3 (your cell phone?) are good.

When done burn the sales pitch and conferences to CD and store.

GET IT ALL IN WRITING... if it's not in writing the salesman will not remember his promise to you.. (The recording might work to convince a judge but no guarantee) get it all in writing.

Finally: Create a "Highlights" document on your computer. List all the assorted insurances and warranties and other like stuff on same, Failure to do this has cost me money (not much but it has cost)
In some states it's illegal to record a conversation without informing all parties that they're being recorded. Some even require a signed statement from all parties.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:12 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thank you all. I'll pass on all this good advise. Kids sometimes listen to strangers better then their parents.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:05 PM   #13

Give them a link to iRV2. They can search, ask questions, etc. ;-)
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice