Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2022, 02:01 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Need/cost to replace shocks and brake pads

I have a 2006 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37C, with 21,720 miles on it.
It has been sitting for the past 4 yrs, except to get gas, oil change, and new tires.
installed, I do start it regularly. Haven’t taken it in any trips since my husband passed, but that may be changing later this year.

Right now I’m having some repairs and maintenance performed on it including new roof, two skylights replaced, oil change and transmission fluid change, coolant was checked and it’s fine.

Inspection revealed the 4 shocks are leaking, and brake pads are worn and need replacing. Price quoted for this part of the job is between $1300-1600 parts and labor.

Is it normal to need brake pads and shocks replaced at 21,700 miles?

Is the quoted price range for this job (brake pads and shocks), in the ballpark or excessive? I live in So Oregon. I’ve inquired if the brake pad replacement includes new calipers and rotors. Awaiting a response.

Thanks,
Meant2shop
Merlin OR
meant2shop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2022, 09:30 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
I would think that brakes should not need replacement after only 22K miles. Shocks? Maybe. I'd get a second opinion for sure. However, I would definitely get the brake fluid replaced. It should be done about every 4 years.
Old 01-05-2022, 09:44 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I bought Bilstein shocks from the "Shock warehouse.com" web site for my 2004 Pace Arrow (W-22 chassis) recently.
Fronts were $120.00 each, and rears were $132.00 each, and did my own install. A professional installer should charge no more that $200.00 labor.
So, something around $750.00 should be your cost for that.

All 4 shocks leaking @ 21K ? I doubt it !!! You sure they didn't squirt some oil on them ? It's an old trick. Ask me how I know.

Pads and rotors, I would want to see these first............

I think ma'am, you need a second or third opinion............

Mike in Colorado
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 09:46 AM   #4

Change the radiator coolant, also. It may check OK for freezing but it's quite possible that the additive package is depleted. New radiators are not cheap or convenient to replace.

What are they putting on for shocks? There are $30 cheapos and $160 Konis, a bit of a range.

And by all means get the brake fluid flushed even if it turns out that you don't really need brake pads yet. Your mileage is pretty early for needing pads but it could happen.
SteveJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 09:57 AM   #5

Brake fluid should be flushed, but unless they were greatly abused or caliper slide pins stuck, brake pads should be fine.

Absolutely get a second opinion.

YOU can judge the shocks. Drive over parking lot speed bumps at regular/low speed. If you get more than 1.5 bounces, replace them. OE shocks are rarely much good, so this is likely something you want to do if you are going to keep it.
Old 01-05-2022, 10:31 AM   #6
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Contact Henderson's in Grants Pass for the brakes and shocks. They tend to be to the upper end in price. IMO, but they won't rip you off. https://www.hendersonslineup.com/
Old 01-05-2022, 02:17 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our 04 Newmar on the W22 chassis had 44K on it and the pads were still 50%. It also still had the original Bilstein shocks and they were fine as well. You may want a second opinion. As mentioned already, you should have the brake fluid changed. Also another good good thing to have checked is the age of the tires. They may look fine but if they're above 7 years old I'd consider new ones. JMHO
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, brake, replace, shocks