Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2018, 02:18 PM   #1

Need New Battery Advice

I'm new to RVing and now found that my house batteries need replacing. I leave the RV plugged in whenever not in use but the batteries still go dead. I need a recommendation for a good replacement brand and style. I think we'll sell her next year and convert to a towed trailer and Pick-up...don't like our floor plan at all and driving is hard in this Ford with my long legs...so recommendations for house batteries? As you can see she's a 2014 Class C 26 foot
Lonnie and Allie, 2014 26' Fleetwood Searcher. Retired from US Army and the Boeing Co. Life Member: NRA, 4th US Cav Assco., 25 Infantry DIV. Member of AARP, AUSA, NCOIA, Purple Heart Assoc, DAV, Sgt Major US Army Brotherhood of Tankers.
Lonallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2018, 02:23 PM   #2

Are you sure they are getting a charge from your inverter? Might not be the batteries.
Old 08-02-2018, 02:41 PM   #3

Hi fellow Washingtonian; I agree with Ericv, have you confirmed that you are getting a charge from your converter. I am just going to assume that on your class C coach that it has a converter and not an inverter. If possible I would check the specific gravity of the battery or batteries if they are the flooded type. You could also take them to an auto parts store for a load test. I would try using a remote charger and see if you can bring the batteries up to a full charge. If you can then reinstall them in the coach and check the voltage. Then plug in the coach to 120V and again check the voltage on the batteries. You should see something in the 13+ volts. Also depends what the converter is set to for charging. I you have the owners manual for the coach, I would read up on what it is supposed to do. Should be an instruction sheet from the manufacture on the specs. of the converter. If not, you could locate the converter, get the name and model number off it and I will bet you can find a manual on-line. Hope this info helps and good luck! As to your recommendation for house batteries, don't know if your house batteries are 12 or 6 volt, but my next set of 6V house batteries for my Monaco Windsor will be Trojans. Know of owners who have had very good luck with them. This is just my opinion! Lots of other owners with other brands have had good luck with theirs. You just need to due proper maintenance on them.
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 03:08 PM   #4

Are you leaving the battery disconnect switch " ON " while plugged in, but not in use.

If your turning it to " store " or " off ", you probably are not getting a charge to the batteries.

Store or Off is for when your not plugged in.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 04:07 PM   #5

oops, yes, converter not inverter

On my coach I have to leave the AUX switch on for the batteries to get a charge from the converter
Old 08-03-2018, 10:50 AM   #6

Gang response

Are you sure they are getting a charge from your inverter? Might not be the batteries. I truly do not know but will investigate and see…not familiar with the inverter…still a rookie

Hi fellow Washingtonian; I agree with Ericv, have you confirmed that you are getting a charge from your converter. I am just going to assume that on your class C coach that it has a converter and not an inverter. If possible, I would check the specific gravity of the battery or batteries if they are the flooded type. You could also take them to an auto parts store for a load test. I would try using a remote charger and see if you can bring the batteries up to a full charge. If you can then reinstall them in the coach and check the voltage. Then plug in the coach to 120V and again check the voltage on the batteries. You should see something in the 13+ volts. Also depends what the converter is set to for charging. I you have the owners manual for the coach, I would read up on what it is supposed to do. Should be an instruction sheet from the manufacture on the specs. of the converter. If not, you could locate the converter, get the name and model number off it and I will bet you can find a manual on-line. Hope this info helps and good luck! As to your recommendation for house batteries, don't know if your house batteries are 12 or 6 volt, but my next set of 6V house batteries for my Monaco Windsor will be Trojans. Know of owners who have had very good luck with them. This is just my opinion! Lots of other owners with other brands have had good luck with theirs. You just need to due proper maintenance on them.
Wow lots to check…maybe I’ll check to see if the local shop can assist me….
Are you leaving the battery disconnect switch " ON " while plugged in, but not in use.
Not sure to be truthful

If you are turning it to " store " or " off ", you probably are not getting a charge to the batteries.

I don’t see that type of switch…maybe local RV shop can assist…��
Store or Off is for when your not plugged in.

I think it’s off because I was thinking there’s no need to turn on if not being used…

Ugh this all sure reminds me how much I don’t know…I bought this rig from and Army buddies widow after he passed away. So, all the information I have is gleaned from this web site and what manuals I can find…sometimes it’s overwhelming ��
Thanks all of you...
Lonnie and Allie, 2014 26' Fleetwood Searcher. Retired from US Army and the Boeing Co. Life Member: NRA, 4th US Cav Assco., 25 Infantry DIV. Member of AARP, AUSA, NCOIA, Purple Heart Assoc, DAV, Sgt Major US Army Brotherhood of Tankers.
Lonallie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, battery