Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2011, 03:20 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Need Oshkosh brake lines

I have 93 Bounder 34X,Diesel on Oshkosh chassis.I am waiting on new master cylinder,wanted to replace the brake lines.I have been unable to find these lines anywhere,any help will be appreciated.
mackpeteno is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2011, 03:36 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Normally brake lines for cars and trucks are made from stock straight lines and bent by the person installing them, it would be extremely rare to be able to buy bent brake lines even from a car dealer but that's not to say it can not be done.

Have you tried calling Oshkosh truck about it with your VIN?
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 04:11 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks John,these are rubber hoses.Oshkosh no longer make this chassis.I tried to contac them but can't unless you have an account.I have been unable to come up with a part #.I am in west Texas,so am limited to dealers and suppliers.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:22 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I misunderstood when I read master cylinder it seemed like a large chassis to have hydraulic brakes, but the same holds true for most of the air brake hoses on trucks. Most truck service centers can make you hoses as long as you give them the old one for a sample. A lot of car part stores can make them as well but you have to be careful that they use DOT air brake hose not hydraulic hose which is more expensive and no where near as pliable which is not DOT acceptable for air brake use. Air brake hoses replacement is really much more easier that steel brake lines.

The front brake flex hoses are normally carried ready made at truck service centers.

Do you have any "plastic" brake lines along the frame?

With all the pipe line type trucks I've seen in Texas I would not think you'd have a problem finding someone to take care of your needs or try truck dealers selling tractors or mid size straight rigs.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 02:30 PM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mine does not have plastic or nylon they are rubber and steel.The front ones are steel with a double flair that have 90 on one end and 31 in.overall.
I was the owner and mechanic of a truck service shop since 1973,my son has the shop now.We have a hydraulic crimping machine.But do not have the right fittings.Our local parts stores have stopped making them for liability reasons. I found the master cylinder with numbers i read on this forum.
After all the years that I have spent looking for parts I am stumped on this one.I do know they are application specific.Meaning different than other applications.
Any help will be appreciated.
Doyle and Peggy C.
Snyder Texas
Old 11-06-2011, 07:40 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Custom Chassis took over Oshkosh and they now provide tech support for them. Give them a call - maybe they can help.

Contact Us
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:27 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You need to contact a major brake place... The hoses you are looking for.. Odds are they are not used on more than 100 different makes and models.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:06 PM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for the feedback,I went to the shop this am and searched thru all of our fittings.I found a box of fittings that i had bought at a auction several years ago ,was able to make a line,but had to use 3 extra reducers on one end to make it fit.I will carry it as a spare.
I had read too that Freightliner had taken over Oshkosh.I called the dealer in Lubbock,Tx.They said that they knew nothing about this.I will continue searching.Still waiting on the master cylinder.
Doyle

i
Old 11-07-2011, 06:50 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Is there a reason you can't use the fittings off of the old lines by cutting them off?

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:21 PM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Hydraulic crimped fittings are one time use .They could be ground off then brazed or wire welded to a new sleve,then crimped.I would do this if i was down beside the road.I wanted new ones because the orignals are 18 years old.
I am the king of shade tree mechanics,but am getting a lot of flack from my co-pilot.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:19 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Don't bother with a Freightliner dealer - call the factory customer support line. They know about Oshkosh. John Deere too.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:48 PM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks Gary,I will try them.
Doyle
Old 11-08-2011, 07:22 PM   #13

From a user named rsflight on Classic Winnebago site: (Classic Winnebagos & Vintage RVs!)

Quote:
During the time frame of late 80's, most RVs were built on a Johne Deere or a Chevy chassis. John Deere sold to Oskkosh who then sold to Freightliner. Most engine parts are Ford. Special parts come from Freightliner, such as brake hoses. There are also alot of aftermarket parts on the chassis, like some fuel pumps, guages, windshield spray nozzles etc. There are parts available thru StepVan parts stores too
In his post he indicated he has more information if needed.

Additionally, there is a 86-89 John Deere/Oshkosh manual available in the site store.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:56 PM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Additionally, there is a 86-89 John Deere/Oshkosh manual available in the site store.
Which? I saw nothing on Stepvanparts.com
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake