Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2019, 02:17 PM   #1

Need service manual 1984 Fleet-Pace Arrow

Hi everyone,

So we just took on our first MH cause it was too great a deal to pass. We weren't even looking but when this 1984 Fleetwood Pace Arrow Eleganza B23 came across our path we jumped on it. Obviously great deals of this age don't usually come without issues, and while I'm a fairly competent amateur machanic and have had a couple of travel trailers, this is my first motorhome.
I have the owners manual and manuals for the gen set, refrigerator and rooftop AC as well as the original owner's completed maintenance schedule.

I found long ago that after market manuals while cheaper, they were far far less informative and thus less valuable for deep repairs and rebuilding, so I alway like to get a factory or manufactures service manual. They have details on accessing and executing repairs that chiltons and the like never could.

Here's what I could really use help with; (Explanations to follow)

1. Are there Factory Service Manuals for
a. Chassis?
b. Repair procedures for drive systems?

Now here's the rub, and the core to my question-

I cannot see how to access the front of the engine to check timing or access the timing chain if need be or the various belt driven components without completely dismantling the radiators and whole front cowling.

Right now all I want to do is use a socket wrench to turn over the engine to confirm TDC and that he timing chain is still functioning, and there is the plastic fan guard and the radiator preventing access. And I can't see how one can maintenance the front end without emptying the antifreeze and transmission radiators and removing them.

The engine is not turning over, and there are some new parts visible that seem incorrect. The engine is an 84 Chevy 454, and the previous owner had an electrical fuel pump installed, I looked up the model number and it does not work with fuel injection, so idk if it should work with the 454 carbureted fuel injection. And there is a new started installed which only occasionally engages the flywheel, so not sure if it's too cheep ore there is a power issue from the battery.

There is also the cab access to the top end of the engine, can the second tier be easily removed? Mine has a lot of jerry rigged amateur repairs from "new carpet" that prevents access to the the second tier engine cover in the cab, to drywall screwed insulation inside the cover.....

There are other jerry rigged repairs and add-ons

I would really like to know how the OEM intended their repair crews to access these systems....

Thanks for reading, and I hope answering....
iamme is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2019, 08:57 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
I ended up searching online and found a website that had all the chassis manuals available as PDF files. HOWEVER, I have a Ford chassis so I have no idea if a similar site exists for Chevy or not...
Is there an "inspection cover" on the bottom of the bellhousing (or in front) or is it one piece? If there is a cover, can you remove it to turn the flywheel?
Now you've got a Ford guy trying to remember what little GM I know (lucky you). Starter solenoid is on the starter. Check wiring connections, check the starter for rust where it's mounted (poor ground), check how much voltage is reaching the starter. Does it 'click' once or repeatedly when you try to start it or just turn slowly? Hey, basics. How old is the battery and is it in good shape? Can't help you on the body disassembly but can't you see the timing marks from below?
Hopefully this will help some until the Chevy guys who actually speak the language find this thread...
Dave RVM#66 and Carol
1998 Pace Arrow Vision
Seeing the USA - 200 miles at a time
daveandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 09:03 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
There is also a Chevrolet/Workhorse chassis forum on here where you might get better help at least with the 454. The forum moderators aren't real keen on posting the same question in different forums so you might want to see if they would move your engine questions over there or if you could post your engine questions there and your body questions here...
Dave RVM#66 and Carol
1998 Pace Arrow Vision
Seeing the USA - 200 miles at a time
daveandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, manual, pace arrow, service