Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2014, 10:27 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Need some plumbing help--pictures too!

I am nearly done with a kitchen mod in my 2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G, in which I removed the range (stove/oven combo) and replaced it with a dishwasher and stove-top.

I am now struggling with how to plumb the dishwasher drain into my sink's drain. Here's a picture of what I have to work with under my sink:

It's a little hard to see, but those black drainage pipes form a number "4" with a 90 degree elbow on the left sink that leads into the horizontal pipe over to the right sink bowl. That horizontal pipe is really part of a sideways "T" that connects the right sink straight down into my trap, and also over to the left sink.

So I need to replace some of the current plumbing with a piece that will also accept the dishwasher drain, and this needs to occur before the trap.

This means I either replace the left-side 90 degree elbow with an elbow that also has the dishwasher attachment (unlikely) or I replace the side-ways "T" that connects the two sinks together and drops into the trap.

I can't locate these possible parts... Does anyone know where I can get them?

Even if you don't know where to get the parts, I'd love to see a picture of your RV sink plumbing if you have a dishwasher and a double-bowl sink like mine. Maybe I'll get an idea of a different way to plumb my dishwasher discharge line?

Thanks for any help or suggestions!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	plumbingdischarge.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	250.3 KB
ID:	78158  
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2014, 10:50 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
put a tee between the sinks pointed up tie in there. put j in the hose to form a trap
Old 11-03-2014, 11:25 AM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Replace the straight line connector between the two drains with one that has a connector for the dishwasher drain:

DBHL 1-1/2 in. x 8-1/2 in. PVC Hi-Line Dishwasher Wye Tailpiece-HPP9818 at The Home Depot

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 01:10 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Bop & Paul--Thanks for these suggestions. Unfortunately that right-side sink piece is a "T" so I can't just remove the horizontal center and replace it with what you suggest--it is all one piece on the right side sink. Any other thoughts? In this version of my picture, I tried to outline the two parts that I'm working with...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	plumbingdischarge2.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	158.3 KB
ID:	78172  
Old 11-03-2014, 01:23 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Have to agree with the advice given. It will require a few trips to the plumbing store, but simply replace the one piece right side "T", buy the necessary parts to adapt, and put the part recommended by BFlinn181 in the line as suggested. They make "slip joints" that will accommodate the issue.

I hate plumbing problems like this - always takes me 10 trips to the store to get the "right" parts. Once done, I always wonder why it took so long to figure it out.
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 01:23 PM   #6

I have seen saddle connectors large enough for your DW drain. Ace hardware might have one. The connector just clamps around the pipe and you drill a hole thru the connector into the drain then hook up drain line from dish washer. I had a 5/8" saddle valve for my s&b water softener that would work so if you can't find one check with a plumbing shop that installs water softeners.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 01:27 PM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I think you need a fitting more like this one so you can insert into the horizontal pipe. I don't know the size of your pipe, but a google search for a dishwasher wye should yield some results; or even a local plumbing shop.

ABS Wye Dishwasher Adapter | RONA
TinCanTee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 01:30 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
There are many ways to configure the drains to add a dishwasher drain. The straight pipe I linked to was just a suggestion, it might not have even fit since the link was for 1 1/2" pipe and many RV drains are only 1 1/4". You could add the dishwasher drain to the main line by use of a 'T' connection, or add it to the AAV (cheater vent) that is probably located under there. You could divert both sink drains towards the back to a 'Y' that then connects with a straight pipe with the dishwasher 'T' to the main drain. That way you would preserve the under sink space for storage. Regardless, you'll probably make a couple of trips to the home supply store, buy extra pieces and return the unused parts would be my suggestion.
Also, having installed many dishwashers over the years, make sure your flexible drain line is long enough to pull the DW out still connected for troubleshooting later.

Bob & Donna
Old 11-03-2014, 01:39 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
There are many ways to configure the drains to add a dishwasher drain. ...You could add the dishwasher drain to ... to the AAV (cheater vent) that is probably located under there.
Thanks guys.. I think I will probably have to tear everything out and bring it with me to the local hardware shop. Dang it...

BUT... I did see something that I suspect is this "cheater vent" described above. It was behind the (easy to remove) thin wall at the back of that cabinet. It looked like a pipe going straight up from underneath the cabinet floor, then ended at some sort of strange cap. Is that the "cheater vent?" Does it lead to my gray tank? And... can I just tap into it for the dishwasher drain?

Sorry. Plumbing just isn't my thing! Thanks for hanging in there with me guys!
Old 11-03-2014, 02:06 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ok guys... BFlin181 got me onto something with his idea of using the "cheater vent." I dug up some plumbing schematics that I forgot that I had. I asked for these when I purchased my Fleetwood, and I just now remembered that I had them!

Is this the "cheater vent" that you are suggesting that I tap for my dishwasher drain? That sure would be great, as it's located behind the thin wall of that under-sink cabinet, so if I tap into that section of pipe, that flexible dishwasher drain will be well protected!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	galleyplumbingschematic.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	78174  
Old 11-03-2014, 02:14 PM   #11

Yep, probably looks like this...

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1415049255.249206.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	598.7 KB
ID:	78175
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 02:17 PM   #12

Only problem is I think the AAV is plumbed in downstream from the p-trap!
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 02:27 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
Only problem is I think the AAV is plumbed in downstream from the p-trap!
Oh darn. Does this mean that odors from the gray tank could seep up into my dishwasher?
Old 11-03-2014, 02:41 PM   #14

Gulf Streamers Club
As water rushes down the drain, momentum and air pressure can carry all the water past the P trap, leaving the trap empty for gases from the tank to come back up the drain. The AAV is a spring loaded, one way valve that allows air into the drain but stops gases from entering the RV. It is instead of a vent pipe running up to the roof, thus the name, 'cheater vent.' It is located properly, between the P trap and the line to the grey tank. If there is room in that vertical pipe up to the AAV, that would be a fine place to add the DW drain. When the AAV fails, first sign is sewer smell in the vicinity of the sink.

Simply make sure the DW drain line loops down then up so it forms a trap for water to remain in the low part of the line, like a P trap.

Bob & Donna

Tags
dishwasher, galley, kitchen, mod, plumbing, pvc fittings