Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-08-2014, 03:47 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Chuck&Pam's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Monroe, NC
Posts: 920
Need to Replace Porch Light & need advice

'05 Bounder and my porch light (the one over the entry door) is out. The fixture & yellow lens cover is fine. its the bayonet bulb socket inside that has given up.

The problem is there is a bracket on the back of the socket that fits into the plastic fixture to hold it. I can find sockets without that bracket but none with one that matches.

Anyone else replaced that socket and if so, where did you get it? My dealer has no clue. I've checked auto parts stores and other places but no luck. I've scoured the internet and found what might be a source, but thought I should check with this knowledgeable group first.

I am also open to suggestions about changing it to something else like a LED but I'll still need the socket with bracket to plug it into...correct?
__________________
Chuck & Pam
2016 Tiffin Allegro 32SA & Nissan Frontier
NJ4B F261484
Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2014, 03:52 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
bruceisla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Foley AL
Posts: 7,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbounder View Post
'05 Bounder and my porch light (the one over the entry door) is out. The fixture & yellow lens cover is fine. its the bayonet bulb socket inside that has given up.

The problem is there is a bracket on the back of the socket that fits into the plastic fixture to hold it. I can find sockets without that bracket but none with one that matches.

Anyone else replaced that socket and if so, where did you get it? My dealer has no clue. I've checked auto parts stores and other places but no luck. I've scoured the internet and found what might be a source, but thought I should check with this knowledgeable group first.

I am also open to suggestions about changing it to something else like a LED but I'll still need the socket with bracket to plug it into...correct?
You may want to consider an entire assembly.

RV Marine LED Rectangle Porch Light Clear Amber Lens 150 96 Lum F3528008 | eBay
__________________
2005 Newmar Essex 4502, 2013 Caddy SRX
1997 HR Endeavor 37, CAT, 1996 Geo Tracker
bruceisla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:14 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
98FPA's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Sunrise In Central Nebraska
Posts: 726
Bruce, that looks like a very nice replacement light for ncbounder's porch light. Ncbounder chances are this would be a pretty straight forward exchange plus you probably will get a light that will outlast its fixture.
__________________
Ken in Nebraska
98 Fleetwood Pace Arrow, 35U
97 Ford F53 chassis
98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:47 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
BFlinn181's Avatar
 
Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 19,926
If you can find a socket with a bracket attached, even if it's not the same, you could pop rivet it to a piece of metal that could be screwed or riveted into original fixture. Replace the bulb with an LED bulb and you won't have to change the bulb again and with less heat it won't melt the plastic fixture.
__________________

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:56 PM   #5
Registered User
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Varies Depending on The Weather
Posts: 8,517
Or you could remove the entire fixture and install one of these RV Smart Motion Detector LED lights.

Motion Activated Security Light - 12v for RV - PPL Motor Homes

They come in white or black with a 200 Lumens LED bulb.

You won't find a better price for this light than at PPL.

I have one that replaced the front porch light and I also installed another one up over the service bay near the roof line.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:20 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
njs42's Avatar
 
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Federal Way, Wa.
Posts: 2,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Or you could remove the entire fixture and install one of these RV Smart Motion Detector LED lights.

Motion Activated Security Light - 12v for RV - PPL Motor Homes

They come in white or black with a 200 Lumens LED bulb.

You won't find a better price for this light than at PPL.

I have one that replaced the front porch light and I also installed another one up over the service bay near the roof line.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

I just did this and I am very happy with it; and I have my old fixture (white) which you are welcome to have but postage would probably be as much as a new one. It works fine, I just upgraded. It is not off a Bounder but these are generic are they not?
__________________
I do all my own stunts
03 Dolphin LX 6355, Workhorse W22, 8.1 vortec, 04 CR-V, Blue Ox, Brake Pro----Norm, Barb and
Doc(He's a PhD)
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:15 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Chuck&Pam's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Monroe, NC
Posts: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
This looks like it may be my best bet. I was wanting to avoid recalking etc but probably need to do that anyway.

I'm wondering about the surface mount LED "bulbs", like the one shown inside this particular model which you can buy separately from any number of sources (like this LED Light for example). Can you simply attach the SMD LED with an adhesive on the back side inside my existing fixture? or is there still too much heat for that?
__________________
Chuck & Pam
2016 Tiffin Allegro 32SA & Nissan Frontier
NJ4B F261484
Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:57 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
BFlinn181's Avatar
 
Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 19,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbounder View Post
....I'm wondering about the surface mount LED "bulbs", like the one shown inside this particular model which you can buy separately from any number of sources (like this LED Light for example). Can you simply attach the SMD LED with an adhesive on the back side inside my existing fixture? or is there still too much heat for that?
Yes, you could use a bulb like that and, since your socket is broken in the original fixture, you could wire it directly and remove the bad socket completely. Just test for proper polarity before taping or crimping the wires periminately. I'd still re-caulk around the fixture, if water gets in behind it and allows delamination, you won't like the results!
__________________

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:04 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Chuck&Pam's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Monroe, NC
Posts: 920
Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. I just ordered the motion sensor light from PPL and looking forward to getting it installed!
__________________
Chuck & Pam
2016 Tiffin Allegro 32SA & Nissan Frontier
NJ4B F261484
Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
advice, replace



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What bulb in porch light? vsheetz Class A Motorhome Discussions 6 12-25-2013 10:22 PM
Porch light lens,07 pace arrow leadfoot3 Fleetwood Owner's Forum 25 09-24-2013 07:11 PM
Replace tail light bulb on 2006 monaco knight wkemnitz Class A Motorhome Discussions 0 08-22-2013 02:50 AM
Atwood Water Heater won't re light jcwhitty RV Systems & Appliances 7 08-04-2013 09:52 AM
Change Microwave range light to LED! hdossett RV Systems & Appliances 5 07-15-2013 07:38 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.