Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2013, 08:23 AM   #1

New battery isolator

Just replaced the battery isolator solenoid in my 07 Bounder diesel its great now to see the same voltage going to both banks of batteries when I'm plugged in at home, the only question I have is on this unit is there a BIRD to control which set is getting charged and when. I was a little worried about running the generator when driving, what opens the relay so the alternator and the converter don't meet? I have a Intellitec battery control center wher all the heavy wires from the solenoid go does this have the same function as a BIRD? I searched Intellitec's website and found no information on the BCC I have installed so any information from those out there would be great. Also the new relay is a little different configuration than the old one all of the posts are on the top. The coil posts are awfully close to the heavy gauge posts I'm worried that vibration might cause the heavy gauge wire to loosen slightly and turn and touch the coil wire post this could be bad any ideas how to insulate the coil post so if it does occur no sparks can happen.
rocky34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2013, 12:08 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes, your Intellitec BCC has the BIRD circuits on the printed circuit board inside the BCC. There is NO need to have the solenoid open when both the alternator and converter are providing voltage/current. The system has no problem handling that condition.

As for the posts shorting together, I don't think there is mush to worry about, but maybe you can put a drop of Loctite Blue on each terminal nut (after assembly) to ensure it stays tight.

Give me the info (model# or any info) printed on the BCC or internal circuit board, and I can probably provide the applicable circuit diagram and troubleshooting/testing procedure document.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:31 PM   #3

Thanks

Thanks loulong I just started the coach with the shore power still plugged in, in less than a minute both banks of batteries were seeing 14.12 volts from the alternator and my EMS dropped from 3 amps to 0 amp so the converter had shut down. I'm learning slowly how this thing works only took 7 years so I guess the alternator takes the lead when the generator is running while on the road. I'm beginning to think this isolator/relay has been bad since 2007 because I have never seen my EMS at 0 amps even after being on the road all day the converter would always be on and saying it was charging. I'm looking for some kind of part number on the BCC but so far no luck. But I'll keep looking. Thanks for the info.
Old 09-14-2013, 01:30 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky34 View Post
I just started the coach with the shore power still plugged in, in less than a minute both banks of batteries were seeing 14.12 volts from the alternator and my EMS dropped from 3 amps to 0 amp so the converter had shut down.
The converter did not shut down, it simply wasn't matching the output of the alternator (with reasonably charged batteries, the converter/charger would be producing 13.2 to 13.8 volts, but the alternator would be at 14+) so it was drawing no current from the shore power side. This is good......

Here is a link to what I think is your BCC. If you discover a variation, we can investigate others.

Glad the replacement was successful and producing the desired result.

I just recently installed an external BIRD (as versus replacing the more expensive BCC circuit board) to solve the same problem. I also replaced the solenoid, just in case it had contributed to the onboard bird function failure.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:09 AM   #5

Thanks

Thanks loulong that looks like the correct info for my BCC I'm printing it out and adding it too me piles of schematics and troubleshooting guides. Thanks for your knowledge.

Tags
battery