Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2020, 08:05 AM   #1

New Discovery 40m, what to look for before leaving dealer

We will be taking delivery of a new ‘20 discovery 40m and have a week or so to make sure it’s really ready to go. Are there some common issues that can be addressed before it gets off the lot ?

We will likely be leaving the next morning on an open ended trip and want it to be as open as long as possible

This is our first motor home btw..
Rookieroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2020, 09:17 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Have every system on the RV fully demonstrated to you befoer you accept delivery or sign the papers. Tell the dealer you will not accept it unless it is 100%. If it is not 100%, leave and go back in a few days and start over on the checkout.

Above all, do not leave with the promise of ...we'll fix that next time you come in for warranty work.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 09:22 AM   #3

X2 on not leaving with a promise of we’ Fix it later. If it is not too late about the only way to maintain control is to withhold MONEY.
kenwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 10:12 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookieroller View Post
We will be taking delivery of a new ‘20 discovery 40m and have a week or so to make sure it’s really ready to go. Are there some common issues that can be addressed before it gets off the lot ?

We will likely be leaving the next morning on an open ended trip and want it to be as open as long as possible

This is our first motor home btw..

You say this is your first motorhome, is this your first camper also?
Old 06-28-2020, 12:23 PM   #5

I agree that any problem you drive off the lot, will, @ the minimum, be a nuisance to resolve.

Some dealers are set-up so you can live in/try out your new rig for a day or so, prior to delivery. Possible for you?

A friend had all of his water tanks filled, the night before delivery, & discovered a mammoth defect in the gray tank the next AM. Just a thought....
Cincy Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 01:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
You say this is your first motorhome, is this your first camper also?
Yes , it’s our first camping apparatus
Old 06-28-2020, 01:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy Steve View Post
I agree that any problem you drive off the lot, will, @ the minimum, be a nuisance to resolve.

Some dealers are set-up so you can live in/try out your new rig for a day or so, prior to delivery. Possible for you?

A friend had all of his water tanks filled, the night before delivery, & discovered a mammoth defect in the gray tank the next AM. Just a thought....
It’s possible to get a practice run however we shouldn’t need it with this 10 day run up. We will be in and out getting Yukon prepped to be flat towed and dropping off various supplies and such.

That’s the big risk for us is very little experience and hightailing it towards Yellowstone and Glacier with 4 kids under 11 in tow.
Old 06-28-2020, 07:01 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Congrats on the new 40M... We just picked up ours last Saturday. All in all the PDI went really well. Like others have said, get them to demo and show you how to work all of the systems and things you are not familiar with. Since this is your "first camping apparatus" schedule your PDI for the first thing in the morning as you are going to have A LOT of questions, and this will allow you ample time to watch, learn and ask. Trust me, there is a lot to take in...

We have followed the "natural progression" of campers over the years, tent to pop-up to travel trailer to 5th wheel to first motor home, now second motor home. Our last MH was gas and a bit more simplified than the 40M we took delivery of last week, and I am still learning new things. This thing has a ton of systems that work both independent and in tandem with each other. You are going to have a steep learning curve. Not trying to scare you, but just be prepared to have a lot thrown at you all at once.

Good Luck, have fun, ask questions over and over!
DuaneMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 07:23 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have them fill fresh water tank. Have them show you how to bypass hot water heater. Also know how to fill an drain fresh water tank. Know how to hook up water hose for city water. Get a pressure regulator for city water along with in-line water filter. Also run all the water faucets and shower and check for leaks. On ours I checked for leaks but didn't leave the shower run long enough. Our first trip we had water running through the living area when the wife took a shower. During build they broke the plastic fitting for the shower hose in the wall. Check the outlets for power. Operate every switch. Make sure you know what each breaker does and can read labeling. Ours is all scribbled written. Know how to operate all gas appliances properly. Check the tire pressure. Operate the awning.
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 09:22 PM   #10

All great suggestions. It’s bringing us closer to reality. We just finished a remodel and learned the hard way about testing all the faucets and drains while the plumber was still there.

We had some experienced people tell us to buy our third RV first .. we have 4 young kids under 11. (I’m 51) and don’t have time to go through a “normal” progression. (My first two boats were over 36ft)

Testing the systems before we leave the lot is vital especially where water is involved.
Old 06-29-2020, 04:15 PM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Who are you buying it from? That makes a difference. I bought one last week on a Saturday. Stayed there Sunday and pushed every button, checked everything and made a list of questions and a second list of Issues. Did the inspection and walk thru 8am on Monday, I realized short time into the walk thru that the guy didn't really know this specific coach. I had to correct him many times, from my one day with it, the internet and being somewhat an educated buyer. He was a ex truck driver and knew freight liner and cummins well and some of those systems. But not much else. I presented my list of 18 items and they moved it into a bay and 3 guys jumped on it and had then all handled by 5. Spent another night checking out the fixes and made a second list which they addressed Tuesday. Had them help hook up my tow car reset the backup camera and drove away. Before I left I scheduled an appointment for Tuesday July 6th to come back and finish a few more Items that a part was needed etc. It is a great coach...my second one....I think you may be a bit overwhelmed by the manuals and complexity of it being your first RV. Take your time and stay as long as you can. I drove 240 miles to get mine and I know that it may not ever go back to the dealer again being so far away. If you are close by that's good. Over all it was a great experience but I was prepared. Dixie RV Beaux Bridge was very professional, helpful and...would recommend them to anyone.
dkrobath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 04:24 PM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
All great suggestions. It’s bringing us closer to reality. We just finished a remodel and learned the hard way about testing all the faucets and drains while the plumber was still there.

We had some experienced people tell us to buy our third RV first .. we have 4 young kids under 11. (I’m 51) and don’t have time to go through a “normal” progression. (My first two boats were over 36ft)

Testing the systems before we leave the lot is vital especially where water is involved.
You mentioned Water...... 2 of the bath faucets leaked, Shower fixture was leaking water every where. The aqua hot system dripped and the dishwater had a cracked valve. Think it went through a freeze with out being winterized.
dkrobath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 06:49 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hey Rookie, have you picked up your new toy yet?
DuaneMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 04:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Yes , it’s our first camping apparatus

Best advise then your tail swing and right hand turns swing wide.

Tags
cover, dealer, discovery