Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2004, 02:03 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi,
We're newbys to all this, having just purchased a 2004 Southwind 32VS this summer. I don't have any particular questions, just trying to get a handle on some of the ideas and things that more experienced hands may have already solved.

I notice there's lots of input & information out here on Bounders, so maybe we can get something in the same vein going on Southwind.
wilanddij is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2004, 02:03 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi,
We're newbys to all this, having just purchased a 2004 Southwind 32VS this summer. I don't have any particular questions, just trying to get a handle on some of the ideas and things that more experienced hands may have already solved.

I notice there's lots of input & information out here on Bounders, so maybe we can get something in the same vein going on Southwind.
Old 11-22-2004, 02:48 PM   #3

Hello Wilanddij,

We too have a Southwind 32V however it is the 2003 model. When we saw the change on this former Bounder forum to a overall Fleetwood forum we hoped for a lot of posts and interesting discussions, however they have not yet materialized. Perhaps with more time it will emerge.

Meantime lets start posting.
Old 11-22-2004, 06:20 PM   #4

99 Southwind 34L here...Like it a lot. Perhaps we Southwind owners know all there is to know about our rigs or perhaps we never have any problems with our Southwinds. That ought to get some posts comin'. John D.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:19 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Looking at some of the posts going on about Fleetwood and Workhorse on other sites, i'm feeling pretty lucky. We have a little less than 2K miles on ours so far, but I've only noticed a couple of very minor things. The underhood light switch seems to be wired backward - lights off when "on", and one of the levelers wouldn't retract for a while. Wiping a little trans fluid on it and persuading it with a 2x4 pry bar seems to have loosened it uup. I haven't tried correcting the light switch yet, but I'll probably get bored some afternoon and take it on. Happy trails.
Old 11-24-2004, 03:23 PM   #6

We have the 36RS and just love it. We have 6K on it and other than a missing rod in the closet we have not had to take it back to the dealer. We are very happy with ours...
Old 11-24-2004, 06:52 PM   #7

Wilanddij,

I've been told to use a little silicon spray on those Power Gear levelers. Every few cycles of the levelers or when extended for a few weeks or longer I wipe them clean with a soft cloth and spray some silicon. Seems to work well.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:05 PM   #8

Any of you having squeeking noises comming from the dash? On rough roads ours squeeks quite loudly. Any DIY fixes?

Also, see our post on the Mystery Pipe
Old 11-26-2004, 06:20 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi Bluewind,
You didn't say if you have Ford or WH, but if its Ford, this may apply (unless you know its under the dash). [URL=http://irv2.infopop.cc/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=8076099152&f=7486073452&m=629108478 &r=212107469#212107469]
Old 11-27-2004, 12:14 PM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wilanddij:
Hi Bluewind,
You didn't say if you have Ford or WH ......] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, I should have mentioned we have a Workhorse W20, 8.1L with a Henderson rear track bar, Davis Tru Track on the front, Hughes Autoformer, Fumoto oil drain valve, Coil-n-Wrap Awning Saver, Rock Solid rear flap and a number of other small upgrades.
Old 12-13-2004, 02:21 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
I love my Southwind too! Only problem so far which is more of an annoyance than problem, power gear driver side where hose fits fitting sprung a leak. When there is any drop in fluid, audiable alarm comes on until refilled. If leaking, can't stop alarm thus annoyance and fix needed.

Anyone know how to disconnect the audiable alarm. 2.5 hour drive to nearest service, long ways to go listening to that alarm. Figure let them reconnect when they fix. Outside of that, not a single issue in 6 months and 8 trips out.

Purpoising is brought up a lot in the past but with 32 Southwind, it's about distribution of load. They had issue with shocks in Models built March 04 and earlier, but from April 04 to now they resolved. If you feel your rig is a bit bouncy, lighten load rear of rear axle and move to center or front. Best storage is in rear and easy to load up which causes problem. The more weight you put in back the lighter you make front when you hit a bump and greater the bounce. Add more up front, take off rear.

Outside of that problem and tip, no issues and love the rig. Done 8 trips in 6 months but all within state so far but no issues until the power gear leaked.

Regards,

SF Bay Area
Great-Dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 06:12 PM   #12

If you take it back to the dealer and tell them you need 80 lbs springs on the levelers you won't have to lube them all the time. Worked on mine.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wilanddij:
Looking at some of the posts going on about Fleetwood and Workhorse on other sites, i'm feeling pretty lucky. We have a little less than 2K miles on ours so far, but I've only noticed a couple of very minor things. The underhood light switch seems to be wired backward - lights off when "on", and one of the levelers wouldn't retract for a while. Wiping a little trans fluid on it and persuading it with a 2x4 pry bar seems to have loosened it uup. I haven't tried correcting the light switch yet, but I'll probably get bored some afternoon and take it on. Happy trails. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
hottubkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 01:10 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hottubkid,
Thanks for the tip. I've got to bring it in for the roof sealant fix (#04278) in a couple of weeks anyway.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Outside of that problem and tip, no issues and love the rig. Done 8 trips in 6 months but all within state so far but no issues until the power gear leaked.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I signed up for the NHTSA notifications on Good Sam, and #03V344000 mentions a leveler hose running too close to the exhaust. Might want to check that out, too.
Old 03-06-2005, 04:08 AM   #14

wHAT ROOF SEALANT FIX???????? i HATE THE REAR ESCAPE WINDOWS AND HAVE BEEN FIGHTING WITH FLEET WOOD AND AM GOING TO GET A DIFFERENT DINETTE TABLE. sORRY ABOUT THE CAPS.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wilanddij:
Hottubkid,
Thanks for the tip. I've got to bring it in for the roof sealant fix (#04278) in a couple of weeks anyway.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Outside of that problem and tip, no issues and love the rig. Done 8 trips in 6 months but all within state so far but no issues until the power gear leaked.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I signed up for the NHTSA notifications on Good Sam, and #03V344000 mentions a leveler hose running too close to the exhaust. Might want to check that out, too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
hottubkid is offline   Reply With Quote