Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2018, 11:30 PM   #1

New to us 95' American Dream, fun begins

Well we jumped in with both feet on this one, a deal I couldn't pass up last week! 1995 that's a Little bit of a fixer upper but I think the bones are there to work with. Pulled it in the shop and have been knocking out a few immediate needs like fixing damage from past blowouts that left the compartments compromised. Feeling out the systems and figuring out what needs done the worst...
IMG_4044 by Andrew Ambrose, on FlickrIMG_4054 by Andrew Ambrose, on FlickrIMG_4055 by Andrew Ambrose, on FlickrIMG_4056 by Andrew Ambrose, on Flickr
Sandfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2018, 01:32 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I had damage to a compartment from a blowout also, on a past MH and took the measurement's to a sheet metal contractor, and had them make me up a box, and it worked slick! Covered the inside with the same carpet-like material and you could not tell it was ever damaged! And in doing the repair myself, I pocketed the extra money from the insurance co.

Looks like you got a nice coach, and have the place to work on it! What chassis does it have? There are a lot of the American Coach guys on here that can help you out if you have specific questions! Good luck! Rail!
Old 03-17-2018, 08:57 AM   #3

It's a Gillig Chassis, previous owner had just put on 2 new michelin steer tires and had all the steering joints replaced and alignment so thats a few things I won't have to worry about. Runs great, drives great. A few of the immediate concerns are the Speedometer and tachometer don't work which is probably why the cruise doesn't work so I need to figure that all out. Electric step is also not working, seems like the motor is shorted to ground on it so probably have to replace that....and the electric fan doesn't work on the generator cooling system, temperature and hour meter aren't working for the generator so hopefully i'll find a relay or something that solves all those problems at once, I'm hopeful LOL!
Old 03-17-2018, 10:06 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Sandfarmer, you can go to this link, a friend has this new to him "91" Eagle, and he has a lot of the same issues, so you two need to get to get together, his name is Charles, "CWK"

iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Products Owner's Forum
American Coach: Our "New" 1991 American Eagle - A Work in Progress

As for the step, most are window lift motors from the auto industry, so take it off, and if you have a "Mom and Pop" auto parts store near you, take it in, see what they say? I did that on a previous MH, and the old guy behind the counter said "window lift motor for a -------", and it was a perfect match! saved a bunch from the MH dealers price! Rail!

Also this thread will help, for sure!
American Coach: Projects on my 1997 American Dream ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page)
GlennLever
Old 03-17-2018, 10:50 PM   #5

I discovered CWK's last night and have commented on his, yes lots of the same issue's and we both bought them about the same time.

I'm 40 pages into Glenn's, found it a few days ago, haven't commented because I'm 2.5 years behind on it LOL!
Old 03-18-2018, 09:12 PM   #6

Instrument clusters packed and ready to ship

Went tonight and pulled my clusters in preparation to ship to ISSPRO tomorrow. I'm fortunate to be able to read the odometer display so I won't lose my numbers for the coach itself but not so for the generator. Hopefully Speedometer and Tachometer can be restored as well as generator hour meter and temp readings. I'd be lying if I said that shipping these panels didn't make me a little nervous...this is something I bet is hard to replace if it disappeared into thin air!
[IMG]Dash by Andrew Ambrose, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 03-19-2018, 11:57 AM   #7

I love the looks of these coaches. Lots of posts on this forum to learn from and enjoy.

Happy Glamping
Elwood58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 02:41 PM   #8

Angry AC Parts price on window regulator is INSANE!

Wow I'm blown away, called AC parts to order the window regulator that was $287 3 years ago according to Glenn's thread from where he was working on his and nearly had a heart attack when she told me to look the new part number up on the website to see a picture of it ( New part #10087339) ....new price...$1,145.77!!!

I told her I wouldn't have a window that rolled down if it was going to cost that much....that's ridiculous...
Old 03-20-2018, 08:30 PM   #9

Moved on to another small issue, the only light I can't get to work on the inside. Over the dresser drawers in the bathroom, has voltage so I suspect the ballast has gone bad. Ordered a new fixture off of Amazon and the lighting should all be 100% functional.

Also cleaned both the Refrigerator and hot water heater gas chambers and surrounding areas and both lit on Gas successfully. Slowly but surely working my way through the list.

[IMG][url=https://flic.kr/p/He4Q8Q][/IMG]
Old 03-20-2018, 10:25 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I would take the part # for the window regulator, and cross reference it with a auto parts # that is similar! All the MH manufactures use parts from the Auto Industry, so as I said earlier, find a good older parts man, that has been working in the auto parts business for a long time, take the part to him, see what he can do for you!
I used to live in the Decatur, Il. area, and we still had a couple of the independent car parts shops, that the old guys that worked there, could look at a part and tell you what car or truck it came out of! Hope you have one of those near you! Rail!
Old 03-21-2018, 07:52 AM   #11

Yes we have a great bunch in our local Napa that are willing to search and dig for things for us. He is certain he can get what I need, if he doesn't find it then I have found a Dorman online for a Kenworth truck that is extremely close and I know I could put that motor on my rail since my track and cable is in great shape. It's going to be fixed....and it's going to cost a fraction of that stupid $1,145 price.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:53 PM   #12

Got the dash panels back yesterday, haven't road tested yet but all indications are that everything works now. They did forget to set my main engine hours in the odometer so now that shows zero...also I paid $40 extra per panel to get a new faceplate so they would be clear and I am pretty sure they sent my old one back on the main panel, the left side panel is crystal clear and the main is foggy, even worse than what it looked like in my "Before" pics. Isspro was great to deal with and I am going to call them about this, I have confidence they will make it right, after all, this was close to $800 worth!

[IMG][url=https://flic.kr/p/25sVb4m][/IMG]
[IMG][url=https://flic.kr/p/25sVaZ3][/IMG]
[IMG][url=https://flic.kr/p/25sV9Rw][/IMG]
Old 03-27-2018, 10:01 PM   #13

Another issue is my fan won't kick on for the generator cooling system, found the thermostatic fan switch, unplugged the wires and touched them together and the fan runs perfect so I figured that's an easy fix. Napa found what looked to be an identical match so I put it on and no difference...wondering if this one may be temperature that's too high, can't tell by the markings...bummer, I thought that was going to fix me up!

[IMG][url=https://flic.kr/p/HoSaz9][/IMG]
[IMG][url=https://flic.kr/p/24cDp92][/IMG]

Also, can't figure out what the light switch is for on the wall with the pocket door that goes from the kitchen to the bathroom. Can't make the light fixture over the dresser get power and thought it may be for it. My switch was set up to break connection in the up position so it seems backward for a light switch...anyone care to help me with what their switch that is in the location does?

[IMG][url=https://flic.kr/p/22JZ2VL][/IMG]
Old 03-28-2018, 06:53 PM   #14

American Coach Owners Club
Looks like you have an Onan DKDFJ with a side Radiator.
That Temp Switch should come on at 200 deg and off @ 190 deg and cycle as needed.
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote