Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2013, 09:52 AM   #1

Carolina Campers
Newbee need advice

hey folks,

ive looked at 6-7 different used diesel pushers and have no clue what to buy. I have some idea what not to buy which helps but, I need some advice. I need to pull the trigger this week.

I just saw a 2007 Fleetwood Expedition, low miles, good condition, 3 slides, from a large dealer in Portland Oregon, byoung rv sales. about $90k ....asking price.

generally speaking, where does the Fleetwood line fall as far as quality, reliability etc and what about the expedition specifically? is Fleetwood still in business and do they support their product?

anything to "look out for"...anything to avoid?

HELP!!!!!!!

thx much and safe travel to everyone!

dave in Portland

da.daveallen@hotmail.com
gigem is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2013, 10:00 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
There are 6-7 different Expeditions in NADA. I used the 38N (3 slides) 300 HP and low retail was around $86,000 so the dealer is not too far off. Fleetwood is in business and has a very good support system. But dealer reputation is just as important. Take your time and do your homework. There are several threads you can look up that will help you understand what you need to look for. Good Luck!
Old 07-31-2013, 10:02 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Fleetwood is very much in business and provides good parts support. IMHO. My Pace Arrow is a Fleetwood product.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:45 AM   #4

Carolina Campers
thx all

still trying to figure out where Fleetwood fits in the "food chain" re quality etc etc

no offence to anyone but in my mind, after all I have read, alfa is toward the bottom, newmar is towards the top? tiffin has a good reputation, Winnebago is still around etc etc

beaver, country coach are quality coaches but long time orphans, Monaco an "orphan"...

where about does Fleetwood fit and whats its reputation.

thx so much, big decision,
dave
gigem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:08 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Fleetwood is a good company. They are good about the carrying capacity of their units. We were a dealer for Fleetwood and almost all our customers were happy with their coaches. They are kinda the General motors of the industry. Remember Gm made the
vega and the Cadillac. Fleetwood makes entry level and luxury level. They are well made will hold up if taken care of.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:49 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigem View Post
thx all

still trying to figure out where Fleetwood fits in the "food chain" re quality etc etc

no offence to anyone but in my mind, after all I have read, alfa is toward the bottom, newmar is towards the top? tiffin has a good reputation, Winnebago is still around etc etc

beaver, country coach are quality coaches but long time orphans, Monaco an "orphan"...

dave
Dave--you will find that usually, the "food chain" discussions are merely people's opinions. So, I'll share MY opinion. I feel that generally speaking, Fleetwood is comparable to Winnebago. When we were shopping for a motorhome, we looked at Winnebago, Newmar, Tiffin, Coachmen, and a few Class Cs as well as the Bounder we ultimately chose. I felt that the fit and finish in the Bounder was at least equal to and usually better than any of the other models we considered. I was least impressed with the Newmar, which seems to go against "popular opinion." Since the companies all use the same basic systems and appliances, I'd say make sure the "house" is a floorplan that suits your family. Good luck.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:26 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Our 1982 Pace Arrow by Fleetwood is alive and well. All original (mostly).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0465.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	731.1 KB
ID:	43427  
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:45 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigem View Post
thx all

dave

Spend time talking and looking. After a full year of serious research Fleetwood was at the top once I focused on my list of requirements. We all have our list, make sure you stick to it.

This blog also helped, as the Fleetwood blog isn't a busy with the fit and finish breakage questions as the rest, including the (supposed) higher quality manufacturers.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:25 PM   #9

In my opinion, Newmar, Winnebago, Tiffin, Fleetwood and Thor are good company.
I put the five company in my order of quality.
the floorplan, budget and dealer is the most important item you have to verify.

I have a fleetwood and i am satisfied.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:31 PM   #10

one thing on Fleetwood line, and I am biased ;-) The Revolution is branded Fleetwood through 09 I think, but in reality was manufactured by American Coach. I consider my 05 Revolution LE 40L more an entry level AC then a Fleetwood, though it would be considered Fleetwood's top coach. Another thing to consider.

Bought mine used and could not be happier with fleetwood (AC's) support.

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:34 PM   #11

We own an Expedition 38N, and love it. No problems at all. From what I have ben reading the new Fleetwood RV is a very solid company. We have had excellent support from them for our older coach. If the floorplan fits your needs, I wouldn't be concerned about the manufacturer. I would be very cautious about the dealership. There are many that aren't very good. Check around and see what others are saying about that dealership.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:09 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
You cannot compare company names like Newmar, Winnebago, Tiffin, Fleetwood, Thor, etc. That would be like comparing Ford, Chevy, Dodge...there are too many models within each brand.

FYI, here are the Fleetwood diesel products in order of quality:

Revolution (old models only, the Rev is now in the American Coach line)
Providence
Discovery
Expedition
Excursion
Other models that now offer diesels...rank unknown...Southwind, Bounder.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:17 PM   #13

I agree Cat 320! We loved our 05 Providence from the day we bought it at the show. I had been under the impression that it was just below the Revolution and above the popular Discovery. A good friend of ours saw our Providence and within weeks traded in their new Discovery and bought a new 05 Revolution.
We have learned how little we knew about coaches the night we purchased our Providence. We were absolutely coach dumb, yet we were fortunate to have bought such a fine coach on our first leap. Now when I dream, I want to see a 45ft Monaco....American Eagle or something equally as special....but the Providence answers most of our needs for now. And because the next leap will be to something more
expensive, we will probably not buy new, perhaps something one or two years old. Those of you that have one similar to the aforementioned
coaches, enjoy your machine and take care of it. You might have my coach!
Old 08-04-2013, 08:40 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
All good advice here. I had a 1997 Fleetwood Storm, which was an entry level model that i just recently sold after using it for three years. I found a 2001 American Eagle that was in need of deferred maintenance as it appears that the gentleman that owned it before me was in poor health and couldn't keep it up. At any rate, while many people thinking that sticking $15 to $20k into a twelve year old coach is crazy, I totally disagree when it comes to such a fine vehicle. The point is that while some of the RV's made are designed to hit a price point, look pretty, etc. the reality is that their life expectancy is oftentimes cut short due to the quality of the materials used to make it. An older well built coach can actually be an investment, whereas a newer cheaper made model will likely devalue rather quickly. Just my opinion.
olifer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice