Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2012, 11:00 AM   #1

Newbie with Fleetwood questions

Hello. We did some horse trading and ended up with a 1989 Fleetwood, 34 ft. in length. Does anyone know if the bed in the back bedroom is a queen? I plan on replacing the mattress. Also, will any mattress set work as a replacement? I know with our yacht, we had to have the new mattresses custom made because they are round in shape. We are going to drive it over to Cape Lookout's National Seashore and keep it there. I know we may have to make modifications on the tires to drive it on the beach. Does anyone have suggestions? Do we have to get different tires? I hope not because the ones on it are fairly new. The motorhome only has 28K on it. I can't wait to see it. My husband tells me it has a mauve interior (which definitely isn't my favorite) but it will be used as a beach vehicle only so I'm OK with it for now. I may want to replace things inside it to update the interior. I am wondering where you might buy newer chairs, sofas, etc. also if anyone knows. THANKS!!!
aeroangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2012, 11:07 AM   #2

You will find the width is smaller mine was a few inches we found a regulars mattress that did not have wire in the sides we squeezed it in that saved a ton
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:10 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

It may be queen width, but is likely 6" shorter than a standard queen. Sometimes called a "camper queen".

A US standard queen is 60" x 80". Measure yours, allowing for the fact it has likley sagged/spread a bit over the years and your numbers could be off an inch or two.
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:24 AM   #4

Thanks all!

I bought an RV mattress online and it did turn out to be 4 inches shorter. I found a "cool sleep" memory foam for under $350. I wanted the latex but it was way too much. As far as the tires, I found out we have to buy really wide tires on the front and only have one set of extra wide tires on the back and they have to line up with the front (using spacers) to allow the RV to move through the sand. They also have to be slick with no treads. Have to buy different rims so it looks like I'll have to spend a chunk of change on these modifications.

I have one more question though....has anyone here successfully painted the interior of their RV? Since this is going to be a beach hangout only, I want to make it really funky on the inside with hanging beads and bright colors, etc.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:29 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My curiosity is killing me, are you having the tire/wheel mods done on the the beach? If not, how do you intend to get the mh on the beach/sand? In my humble opinion, you can't drive it on a highway with slicks and only a single rear tire.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:50 AM   #6

Fortunately, the guy that makes the modifications is right there near the ferry terminal that will transport the RV over to Cape Lookout. I guess it's a fairly common thing for people with RV's to have these modifications done in OBX. We also have a 1979 K-5 Blazer we keep over there. That was our main concern as we have seen people get stuck out there and had to pull them out. So, the modifications are very important to be able to move in sand as there's no pavement on the 28 mile long island. It's unlikely we'll ever take it off unless it's to move it to another ferry terminal and take the RV to Ocracoke.

Tags
fleetwood, newbie