Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2019, 06:31 PM   #1

No key for deadbolt

Hey, all!

Been doing a lot of reading here, and have gained a wealth of knowledge in the first few weeks of motor-home ownership!

One question I can't find an answer to - our American Dream has a deadbolt lock to the left of the door, and I don't seem to have a key to it. I have 3 Trimark keys for the regular door lock, basement, and engine door. I also have a key for the fuel door. None of these seem to fit this lock. Is it an aftermarket add on, or do all Dreams come with these? Should it be another Trimark key, or does it look different?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Brody
1999 American Dream
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191129_103752.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	170.8 KB
ID:	268261  
castlemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2019, 07:31 PM   #2

I think it's SOP in the RV industry for the deadbolt to be the odd one. What I did was when I was in Mexico, I took the entire lock assembly out and took it to a key shop. Had 4 keys made. Still have them, they work great. You can do the same at a real locksmith shop here in the US but they'll be much more expensive.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 12:02 PM   #3

I also have a '99 Dream. The deadbolt key is not a Trimark...it actually looks like a GM-style single sided key similar to the ignition. I agree with above, most likely will need to have one made. Good Luck
Old 11-30-2019, 12:41 PM   #4

OK, update. I looked at my build sheet and the deadbolt is indeed a Trimark...but it's a single sided key. Mine is a TM236, when I looked online it appears that series key runs from TM201-TM 250, so maybe if you take it out you can find a number on it within that range and order a replacement here >>> https://www.easykeys.com/TriMark_TM2..._Key_Lock.aspx

Good Luck !
Old 11-30-2019, 04:26 PM   #5

Thank you both for the info. I will take it apart and look for a Trimark number. Otherwise, will take the whole assembly to a locksmith.
Old 11-30-2019, 04:38 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

A call to American Coach Customer Service/Parts would probably get you a key number and maybe even a key. While you are at it, request plumbing and electrical schematics. They can email pdf files to you.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 04:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
A call to American Coach Customer Service/Parts would probably get you a key number and maybe even a key. While you are at it, request plumbing and electrical schematics. They can email pdf files to you.
Hopefully, that would work for the OP. With my Winnebago, went to the Forest City service center and asked the parts department for a replacement key...I was hoping for one with a nice plastic surround like my set of other keys...and they couldn't help in any way. Couldn't even tell me who to go to for a replacement. That was in '18 for my '02 Journey key. Maybe American Coach has a better handle on that.

Old 12-02-2019, 04:34 PM   #8

So, I disassembled the lock, and found Tri Mark branding on it, but no key code number, unfortunately. I sent an email to American Coach, but haven't heard back yet.

It's surprising to me that there's so many different keys for the same vehicle! Here's what I have so far:

TM500 engine compartment
RH028 basement
TM223 door

So the deadbolt would make the 4th key, not to mention the gas door and ignition. Are all of yours like this, or have my locks been changed somewhere along the way?
Old 12-03-2019, 12:08 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ignition key and door key are different because they are two different manufacturers. Door key and cargo compartment key are different so cargo stays secure during MH service work when tech has door key. Gas door could be different or could share with cargo key because the locks are same type (at least on my coach). My fresh water tank fill also has a locking door but I don't remember which key it is at the moment.
Great now I'll have to go out tomorrow to see which key fits which lock...
Dave RVM#66 and Carol
1998 Pace Arrow Vision
Seeing the USA - 200 miles at a time
daveandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 11:20 AM   #10

On my '02 Winnie Journey, there's the start key, then there's the 'master' key that unlocks almost everything, fuel door, water fill door, all the basement compartments, EXCEPT the deadbolt and the engine cover. My front hood where the genset is doesn't require a key. The engine cover (rear engine diesel) is a special 'barrel' style key. The deadbolt is the odd one in my world. Lucky I found someone in Mexico that could create it using the lock assembly I took him as a guide.

The key blank used for matching the deadbolt: JMA FNL20 Mexico

JMA is one of the largest key blank makers in Europe.

That's the blank used, but it still has to be ground to match the tumblers.

So if your RV has fewer then 4 different keys, I'd say you're lucky.

Old 12-20-2019, 07:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meames1 View Post
OK, update. I looked at my build sheet and the deadbolt is indeed a Trimark...but it's a single sided key. Mine is a TM236, when I looked online it appears that series key runs from TM201-TM 250, so maybe if you take it out you can find a number on it within that range and order a replacement here >>> https://www.easykeys.com/TriMark_TM2..._Key_Lock.aspx

Good Luck !
Hello,I have a American Dream 2003 and have no key for the deadbolt other than the remote. Is difficult to find a replacement lock,someone suggested a locksmith
Manek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 11:39 AM   #12

Hi I'm kind in the same position as you here I lost all my keys can you help me out .. thanks
Thanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 11:54 AM   #13

I have the same as you lost all my key a few week ago still trying to figure out what to do ...
Old 03-15-2020, 12:21 PM   #14

What's you're fuel door key ??? I just lost all min