Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2018, 02:17 PM   #1

No Power Anywhere

i have a 1999 bounder started good moved 3 feet stalled no power any were except head lights no power in coach checked fuses changed solenoid only power in coach when hooked up to house power good battery
royk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2018, 03:02 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Alternator, maybe?
Old 07-05-2018, 03:11 PM   #3

Are you saying no power in the House vs no power for the engine/chassis (dash)?

If it's the house lights check the salesman's/storage switch and the house battery voltage without the shore cord connected.

Does the microwave panel light when the shore cord is plugged in?
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 03:22 PM   #4

i have no power in coach and no power to engine no power except headlights i have power in coach when pluged in to shore power this is strange i pluged into shore power the first time it started my engine and i had power every where but when i unpluged the motor home it shut down completly as befor nothing any where except head lights no power to gen plus nothing from my @ 6volt batteries
Old 07-07-2018, 03:52 PM   #5

You have 3 1/2 electrical systems in the typical Motor Home. The 120VAC system works off the shore cord or generator (the half part - it's all the 120 VAC plus the generator.) You have two 12 VDC systems. The engine or chassis power and house power. These systems interact to some extent but it is unusual for all to fail at the same time. That is why there is no instant answer to your question. The way to troubleshoot a complex problem is to break it into sections. Let's see what we can figure out.

You will get a lot farther faster if you use a voltmeter to check some things.

The first place I might start is the engine power. You say you have headlights so I assume the chassis battery has some power. Check the voltage with the key off and again with the ignition key on. It should be the same and more than around 12.5 VDC. If it is much lower then put a battery charger on it to bring it up to normal.

While checking battery voltages also check the house batteries. Same issue. They have to be up enough to power some relays.

While the batteries are charging plug in the shore cord and either check the power at one of the sockets or look at the microwave if you have one. If the panel lights you have a major part of the system working. Ditto if you have voltage at an outlet. While you are at it check the house battery voltage. If it went up then your converter is working and connected to the house batteries. If it did not go up but the lights light then your converter is working but the storage relay is open.

Get that far and come back with numbers and several folks here can jump in and help you. As I said, your question is so general that there is no magic answer. Off hand it could be that you ran both battery sets down too far to let things work. It could also be that you have multiple failures or don't know how to describe what is happening.
Old 07-07-2018, 08:02 PM   #6

i want to give u all the info i can i parked it over winter started instant no problems every thing worked except gen drove it to a cummins to get gen fixed 1000 dollars for a short. drove it home 200 miles no problems next day it started easy backed up 3 feet stalled no power any where.engine will not turn over ok i did what u told me to do;all batteries are fully charged posts are spotless.micro works and lights up i have all power for house current.but nothing else.i do have a multi meter i did notice that the power coverter in the bottom storage area the fan is not running but its warm i want to thank you for taking your time to help me geting my home running i will send u beer and steaks i am over 100 k to get it fixed at repair shop
Old 07-09-2018, 08:07 AM   #7

Don't worry about the beer and steaks. Not needed.

It sounds like your 120 VAC is working. That reduces the problem to 12 VDC. I don't know your particular coach so all I can do is offer general advice.

If you have headlights they usually work separate from the ignition switch. No dash lights or gauges would have me looking for 12 V from the engine battery to the ignition switch and then to the starter. When you turn on the ignition the panel should light up. If it does not then start tracing the wiring between the battery and ignition switch. There is probably a fusible link coming out of the battery to a terminal block then the fuse block for the chassis. Get power to the dashboard and it might solve the rest of the problem.

The other thing I would be inclined to do is to put a meter probe on the negative battery terminal and the chassis in a clean spot when the ignition switch is turned on. You should not see more than a small fraction of a volt. If you see more then I would be cleaning the ground connection to the chassis.

In the same vein of thought I would not be surprised to find out the generator repair folks disconnected the ground cables while they were removing and installing the generator. If something did not get tightened back up it might have had a nut or bolt come loose on the ride home. I'd be checking those things.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:58 AM   #8

Agree with the above post. Good advice. Make sure all the battery cables are tight and have a clean connection. I was driving my Eagle one day when all power went out for about 1.5 seconds. Then came back on. Got to the park and noticed that one of may battery connections was a little loose. Snugged it up and have had no issue since.
Jake21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 05:07 PM   #9

Roy, another way to verify the battery voltage is to measure from the positive battery terminal to the chassis frame. You can easily lose a couple of volts due to poor ground connections and if you don't have around 12.7 volts or higher on both the chassis and house batteries to frame ground, many things in the coach flat out won't work.

My coach has two negative terminal to chassis frame ground on the house batteries and I found both of them loose. Cleaning and tightening them both solved a multitude of problems.

If that is good then there are a number of high amperage fuses that could be blown or have corrosion on the cable connections.

Tags
power