Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2015, 09:11 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Let me add a little more to this. The toad was wired about 6 years ago and worked until recently and then the problem on the dim right tail and signal light started. I thought the 4 pin plug on the toad was the problem. I then changed the 4 pin plug and connector to a 6 pin plug and connector so I could add a charge line. I checked all connections with a test on both the rv and the toad to make sure it was wired correctly. The dim lights are still there so that's where I am now . Going to try to check the ground directly on the right light it's self and maybe the problem will be solved.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2015, 11:10 AM   #16

You stumped me!

The toad tail and signal lights work perfectly when the toad is not hooked up.
The coach tail and signal lights always work perfectly weather the toad is hooked up or not.
The toad left side tail and signal lights work good when connected to the coach.
The toad right side tail and signal lights are only dim when connected to the coach.

Question.
1. When the toad was originally wired, were diodes used to isolate the coach/toad wiring? Maybe relays used?
2. Were separate tail/signal bulbs inserted into the tail light housing?
3. What about the stop lights? are they the same brightness left/right?

The tail light bright/dim is what is puzzling. On my Honda CRV, the tail light has only one wire going to the rear, going through a diode then splitting with one wire going to the right, and one going to the left. To have one bulb brighter than the other is just not likely unless you installed new bulbs in the housings just for towing.

I'm running out of ideas
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 02:19 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
FLASH, Pete you were right all along. It was a ground problem. I pulled the tight assembly out and ran a jumper wire from a ground on the hitch on the Discovery to the back of the light socket and I had bright turn signal, tail, and brake light. Now all I have to do is look under the CRV and see if I can where the break is or just run another wire. Thanks for all of your expert advice. I wouldn't have known where to start.
Bud
Old 04-14-2015, 02:23 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by budwilson View Post
FLASH, Pete you were right all along. It was a ground problem. I pulled the tight assembly out and ran a jumper wire from a ground on the hitch on the Discovery to the back of the light socket and I had bright turn signal, tail, and brake light. Now all I have to do is look under the CRV and see if I can where the brake is or just run another wire. Thanks for all of your expert advice. I wouldn't have known where to start.
Bud
What happens if you take ground off discovery and touch tow bracket on crv ?
Old 04-14-2015, 02:46 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
What happens if you take ground off discovery and touch tow bracket on crv ?
Nothing happens. The only thing not working is the right light socket, I am thinking it's the only one not grounded, unless the ground wire came off inside the socket.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:00 PM   #20

As Hannibal on the A-team is quoted as saying "I love it when a plan comes together". Great job figuring it out Bud.

When I did my 09 CRV with diodes, I think, but not positive, the ground came off the right light assembly and ran over to the left side where it went into a ground stud along with the right lights. Now if you added separate additional bulbs in the assembly then I don't have a clue how the ground was run.

Anyway great sleuthing job!
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 07:15 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Pete I didn't add an additional bulb. When I pulled the assembly there was a white wire and a black wire going into the socket. I just touched another ground wire from the Discovery to the outside of the socket and all of a sudden it worked. It might have been an accident but it worked.

Tags
power