RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2019, 10:10 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
No power to slide and step w/ ign. switch on

2016 Holiday Rambler 32H on a Ford chassis. Two slides. Mid entry with house batteries under the step along with relays and fuses for slide, step and tank levels. There are also some other contractors in there, way down deep.

Problem: As soon as the ignition switch is turned on I hear a click from that area and the slide will not work, the step will not work and the tank level indicators with not work. After about 10 minutes the step will function and the tank level indicators do also. Of course the slides will not work because of the ignition interlock. The slides will not operate because the engine has to be running (key on). There must be a resetting fuse or breaker somewhere there that takes 10 minutes to reset, either it is bad or something in it’s circuit is shorting out. Any ideas?

This is not my coach (Daughter's family). Just rescued from RV park and now home to fix this ....
Rodg495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2019, 01:04 PM   #2

Rodg495-

My first guess is that the house batteries are partially discharged. They would normally power the slides and the tank indicators. Similarly, the house battery disconnect switch could be off.

Once the coach's engine is running or has been running for a while, it supplies voltage to run the step (chassis battery), tank indicators (house battery) and slides (house battery, but will not work because of the ignition lockout).

Try it with the coach engine off and the generator on. Then try it with the coach engine off and plugged into shore power.

Page 92 of the owner's manual (link here) describes slideout operation, including what must be on, and what cannot be on.

Our coach pulls a lot of power from the house batteries to operate the slides. I have to operate them soon after a long drive, or with the coach on shore power, to get the most robust open or close action from the motors. That's one reason I hook up the shore cord first after parking at a new site (the second reason is to move the refrigerator from propane to AC power).
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 02:16 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the response. We've got it plugged into shore power, batteries are up and no slide power. I've tried the slides with the ignition key ON not running, no luck there. I've not tried it with the jacks down, I've tried it with the leveling system ON and the jack partially down, nothing.
Whatever resets after 10 minutes and gives power to the step and tank indicators is part of the equation. All fuses are good. Both slides are affected so it's not slide motors.
Battery cutoff switch cycles on and off ok. 12 v power to all other systems, lights, refer, water heater, etc.
Old 08-11-2019, 02:50 PM   #4

Rodg495-

Can you post some pictures of the components under the steps, and (if it exists) inside the black plastic box that may be inside the front-most driver-side exterior storage compartment?
Old 08-11-2019, 04:13 PM   #5

Is emergency brake on?
Old 08-11-2019, 06:04 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Mark, I'm at my house right now and I'll have to wait to take some photos tomorrow since the M/H is at my daughter's.
There is no low voltage fuse box on this coach in the front compartment on driver side. My former 2007 had one there and my current 2011 has one there, but not this puppy.
We have tried almost all parameters, E brake on, engine running , not running, key off... etc, etc. The manual with the M/H has two conflicting requirements for slides to work. One paragraph requires the engine to be running, yet the next paragraph lists that you level the coach, turn off the engine, then put the slides out. Of course none of that works at this time.
Old 08-11-2019, 08:54 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Picture of battery compt. under the entry step.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bat-fuse.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	298.1 KB
ID:	256593   Click image for larger version

Name:	BIM.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	317.3 KB
ID:	256594  

Old 08-12-2019, 05:38 AM   #8

Rodg495-

I've identified one component (Battery Isolation Manager) in the circuit bay, but the wiring obscures the rest. Would it be possible to push/lift the wiring out of the way and take some more pictures? I am especially interested in the fuse panel below the wiring, the solenoids I expect to be there, and the slide controller that may be there.

As far as prerequisites go, I'd expect the parking brake would have to be applied, the shifter in park, the engine off. The owner's manual does make a hash of that, as you point out.

As an experiment, disconnect the coach from shore power, and with the engine off, press and hold down the "BATT BOOST" or "AUX BATT" switch on the dash. You should hear the BATT BOOST solenoid close (may be under the step). With the switch held down, try to operate the slides. This should connect the chassis battery to the house batteries, similar to what the Battery Isolation Manager would do automatically, after a period of time.

Note: The battery location and the lack of a front distribution panel seems to match Fleetwood practice more than Monaco or HR former practices. Unhappily, the 2016 Fleetwood Flair owner's manual is not much help.

Finally, the coach is new enough that REV Group (Monaco/HR/Fleetwood and others) technical support may be willing and able to answer questions or provide diagrams of the electrical systems for the coach. They won't do that for coaches older than somewhere around 2013. A contact number is (877) 466-6226.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:34 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Yes there are four contractors there, all the same part number. I'm going to try removing them and reinstalling one at a time trying the slides between. Trying to isolate one that may be a problem. I have checked the coil resistances and they are all about 86 ohms. All the fuses have been checked and are good ( and tight in their sockets ).
I will do the scenario you suggest with the battery and shore power.
Thanks
Old 08-12-2019, 04:25 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Small success. Replaced both house batteries. Now both slides work but only if the engine is running (required by instructions) AND the engine to house battery switch on the dash is being held ON. As soon as the jumper switch is off the step, slides and tank levels will not work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fusebox.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	363.8 KB
ID:	256644  
Old 08-16-2019, 06:54 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Resolution to the problem

Turns out another main fuse for the coach batteries ( there are two ) is mounted on the firewall in the engine compartment. That fuse ( 150 amp) was fried due to someone jumping the batteries and did not connect them properly. After replacing that fuse link everything works fine. It was unexpected to find it in the engine area. ( we had no schematics to show it was there ).

Tags
power, slide, no power, switch